Old Nov 06, 2015, 01:50 PM
Find More Posts by juggalo flyer
United States, NY, Patchogue
Joined Sep 2014
84 Posts
Discussion
Walkera Lama400 spins like a top

Hi! I picked up a Lama400 but it spins clockwise. And its bad..it will get about 2 feet off the ground..spinning like crazy. The upper and lower blades are moving correct..there is a little play from the bottom gear holding the grips. Have all the settings on 50% & NORmal on the WK-2402 controller..I believe that is telling me the rear fan (which is working) is not spinning enough...Im a beginner so...thats my guess...which may be a receiver?? Any help would be super, ty very much
juggalo flyer is offline Find More Posts by juggalo flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2015, 04:50 PM
Find More Posts by Balr14
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,725 Posts
The tail is just decoration, serves no purpose. Yaw is controlled by the difference between the speeds of the upper and lower rotors. There should be an adjustable pot on the board...be careful adjusting it as it had no end points. If that doesn't do it, then you have to start guessing if it's motors or board. The Lama 400 is a very old model, so I assume it wasn't new... which means motors are more likely.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Nov 06, 2015, 04:51 PM
Find More Posts by gimbal
walkera (ab)user
Joined Jul 2007
147 Posts
is it new? or did you buy it secondhand? the rear fan is cosmetic, pay no attention to it-the uncontrolled rotation is just pushing air through it!!!
you have a problem with one or other main motors. it is co-axial. the stability in yaw is controlled by the counter-rotational effort of two concentric fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if its new it may just need setting up. or send it back to the vendor, from
your post,it sounds like one motor is weak.
gimbal is offline Find More Posts by gimbal
Old Nov 06, 2015, 04:53 PM
Find More Posts by gimbal
walkera (ab)user
Joined Jul 2007
147 Posts
hahahaha!!!!!
gimbal is offline Find More Posts by gimbal
Old Nov 07, 2015, 01:29 PM
Joined Sep 2014
84 Posts
TY Balr14 & Gimbal so much..well there is a red speed controller (as in pic) and the yellow receiver. Is there a way to adjust the speed controller? Besides that..I don't know anything else to adjust...I adjusted the receiver..no change at all. There is play in the bottom gear...if there is anything else I can adjust please lmk. Thankyou very much for your time & help
Old Nov 07, 2015, 03:58 PM
Find More Posts by mono
Joined Aug 2008
1,660 Posts
The other posters have covered the primary things you asked about, so perhaps I can suggest a couple of other things to check.
On the radio, make sure the rudder trim is centred before you power the heli.
There are no settings or adjustment for the red speed controller, all that there is affecting rudder response is the gyro sensitivity pot on the yellow receiver. The receiver/mixer/gyro unit does not look like the Rx-2419 (orig for that model), what is the number on it?
The Ail and Ele extent pots are not relative to the fault you have described, so no need to touch those.
Early versions of this model may have "endless" pots, or you may have one which stops at min and max.
In either case, be gentle if adjusting and when doing so for the first time it pays to put a small mark on the pot dial and the rx case so you have a reference point to return to if necessary. Even so, the previous owner may have altered it from factory setting.
Next is to look for mechanical issues, primarily binding or stiffness in either of the rotors.
Each one should move smoothly when turned by hand, all you should feel is a slight magnetic cogging from the motors.
If no binding or stiffness is evident, then the next thing in the chain is the motors.
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Old Nov 07, 2015, 06:25 PM
Find More Posts by flyeraroo
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggalo flyer View Post
Hi! I picked up a Lama400 but it spins clockwise. And its bad..it will get about 2 feet off the ground..spinning like crazy. The upper and lower blades are moving correct..there is a little play from the bottom gear holding the grips. Have all the settings on 50% & NORmal on the WK-2402 controller..I believe that is telling me the rear fan (which is working) is not spinning enough...Im a beginner so...thats my guess...which may be a receiver?? Any help would be super, ty very much
I can tell you what is happening, and what you need to do. It is nothing electric, or any settings. What is happening is the upper gear is slipping on the shaft. There are 2 small set screws that hold the gear to the shaft, and the tips of the screws shear off very easily thus causing slippage. This means the upper rotor is spinning faster than the lower rotor causing the helicopter to spin clockwise. You will need to remove the lower gear, and the inner shaft to get at the upper gear. Remove the upper gear, and replace the screws with new ones. You should check the shaft once you have the upper gear removed, because the broken off tips of the set screws sometimes stay in the shaft. You will need to get them out before installing the new screws. Make sure the new screws go into the holes of the shaft, and don't over tighten. Once you get the upper gear back on correctly so it doesn't slip, you can re-install the lower gear. Now you are ready to fly that great bird!
There is alot of information on this site:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...93186&page=258
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Last edited by flyeraroo; Nov 08, 2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2015, 07:28 PM
Joined Sep 2014
84 Posts
Thank both of you very much! I believe the receiver is the RX2419..I can only see one side of it without taking it out but it looks identical to a picture of the RX2419 so I believe it is...The lower blades are moving on the shaft..which is the upper gear. The lower gear is fine..no movement. On my remote the ELEV/AILE/THOR/RUDD is set on Normal & 50%. I don't know what the aux & Buzz mean..I have tried them both on and off but I'm not sure what they do. Once again it spins CW. Thankyou both, I really need the guidance and I appreciate it!
Old Nov 09, 2015, 01:55 AM
Find More Posts by Timewerx
Joined Mar 2010
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggalo flyer View Post
Thank both of you very much! I believe the receiver is the RX2419..I can only see one side of it without taking it out but it looks identical to a picture of the RX2419 so I believe it is...The lower blades are moving on the shaft..which is the upper gear. The lower gear is fine..no movement. On my remote the ELEV/AILE/THOR/RUDD is set on Normal & 50%. I don't know what the aux & Buzz mean..I have tried them both on and off but I'm not sure what they do. Once again it spins CW. Thankyou both, I really need the guidance and I appreciate it!

The aux is for the mono audio cable I think, for use in simulator. I remember on my WK 2801 Pro, I get a message "AUX IN" whenever I plug the mono cable to the TX and to the laptop. It has nothing to do with your problem, just turn off AUX to be sure.

If the lower gear is not moving as you have said, then that explains your spinning problem. Both upper and lower gear should spin at roughly equal speed during take off and hover

I think you should find a screw-looking thing on the RX2419 clearly labeled like "RUD" or "GYRO" or "POT". It is the sensitivity adjustment of the rudder gyro. Turn it little and then fly and see if it does something. Keep doing it until you notice some change.

In some Walkera coax, the bigger ones have powered tail rotors and uses them to yaw, is your heli one of those??
Timewerx is offline Find More Posts by Timewerx
Old Nov 09, 2015, 01:14 PM
Joined Sep 2014
84 Posts
Hi and thankyou! No my tail fan is strictly cosmetic, everything makes sense...I gotta pull the gear...which I'm going to do now. Ive played with the receiver but I believe this is the problem...after this I'll see whats new! Thankyou for that information...I'll keep you posted shortly, ty again
Old Nov 09, 2015, 04:37 PM
Joined Sep 2014
84 Posts
Thankkyou everybody, especially Flyaroo!! That big ole thing flys dam good! Looks real impressive! Yep the 2 screws were broken off, didn't have to drill them..took a tiny little poker and one little tap with a little hammer n poped right out! The only thing is the controls are backward as far as turning...talking about throttle/left joystick. The remote says Mode 2 so I think its right..mabey some wires backwards? Ill figure it out...thankyou so much. Now on to figuring out my honeybee...
Old Nov 09, 2015, 07:36 PM
Find More Posts by flyeraroo
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,543 Posts
Go into the menu of the transmitter, and find rudder. If it shows normal switch it to reverse, or if it shows reverse switch it to normal. That should correct the turning of the helicopter.
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Last edited by flyeraroo; Nov 10, 2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 03:56 PM
Joined Sep 2014
84 Posts
Awesome! Thankyou so much, you were right on!
Old Dec 04, 2015, 02:47 PM
Find More Posts by rolex0071
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The tail is just decoration, serves no purpose. Yaw is controlled by the difference between the speeds of the upper and lower rotors. There should be an adjustable pot on the board...be careful adjusting it as it had no end points. If that doesn't do it, then you have to start guessing if it's motors or board. The Lama 400 is a very old model, so I assume it wasn't new... which means motors are more likely.
Excellent info there old friend but..........

Yep had a number of the 400's ! From what I remember its your 3 in 1 unit board. If the two motors are working ok, then its that alright.

Rolex.

P.S. Sorry I did not see you fixed it. As with all heli's it can be a number of things that need fixing, not just one.
rolex0071 is offline Find More Posts by rolex0071