Old Oct 06, 2015, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,481 Posts
Discussion
My Son's Senior Project

Here is a picture of my son's high school senior project. More details when it's further along. This is a teaser. With later pictures it will all be clear.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2015, 06:28 PM
Find More Posts by funwithplanes
perplexed genius
United States, PA, Fairfield
Joined Dec 2014
359 Posts
Hi Gordon,its me the 12 year old from neat how is the f3p tripe coming along? any specs? It is cool to see things, that people talk about and see pictures instead of imagination! reminds be of the Caproni Ca.60 ! he should make it like it!
funwithplanes is online now Find More Posts by funwithplanes
Old Oct 06, 2015, 08:06 PM
Find More Posts by 356Jim
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,470 Posts
Gordon, I had given you (and a lot of other past contributors to this forum) up for gone!! It's almost like the indoor micro era has peaked and is sliding down the back side of history. But I won't let go!!!

Good to see you! I still use your motor and material data as reference sources for my endeavors.
356Jim is online now Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Oct 06, 2015, 09:46 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwithplanes View Post
Hi Gordon,its me the 12 year old from neat how is the f3p tripe coming along? any specs? It is cool to see things, that people talk about and see pictures instead of imagination! reminds be of the Caproni Ca.60 ! he should make it like it!
Well, the F3P Tripe is nowhere. It's lacking for time to build it. Funny you post this picture. If he can get this plane to fly the plan is to make a version two in spring semester that is a bipe at each end.

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten the DR-1 I owe you.
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Oct 06, 2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2015, 09:54 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Jim View Post
Gordon, I had given you (and a lot of other past contributors to this forum) up for gone!! It's almost like the indoor micro era has peaked and is sliding down the back side of history. But I won't let go!!!

Good to see you! I still use your motor and material data as reference sources for my endeavors.
I'll admit I haven't been on the forum because I haven't built anything in a while. Life gets in the way. Each of the past three years I've traveled about 60 or so days on business and that takes its toll. And, these seem to be particularly busy times in terms of family. So, I didn't fly indoors at all last winter, no new planes, and hardly any outdoor flying this year either. The last micro plane I did was my "Rule Breaker" in about July of 2013. However, this plane of my son's uses the glued in slots ribs I used on that plane. Wow, over two years since any plane came off my laser. Ouch!

I do haul little planes around in style now. This is the back end of my Porsche loaded with micro planes. This year my oldest son and I headed to NEAT and skipped the pop up awning and all that, took fewer planes, and got there in near record time. "There is no Substitute" for hauling little planes!

But, we did have some fun paragliding on vacation this past summer. All three kids and I did it with professional pilots. See if you can guess the location. Those are my feet in the third picture.
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Oct 06, 2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2015, 02:09 AM
Find More Posts by derk
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,705 Posts
its the swiss alps! found the exact same road in this picture
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Oct 08, 2015, 07:04 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,481 Posts
Derk, yes that's it. You win a Dr-1 tripe short set of parts when I get around to banging a few out for people I've promised them to.

It is Murren in the Swiss Alps, up above Interlaken. The town is about 5,500 feet above sea level, on the edge of a cliff that's about 3,000 feet straight down. The town looks out at the famous Eiger Mountain. And, up behind the town (and two gondola rides to get to the top) is the Schilthorn with its mountain top revolving restaurant. It was the site of a lot of the James Bond movie "In Her Majesty's Secret Service." There is now a James Bond museum at the top, and you can get a 007 Burger in the restaurant.

After a couple of turns, you glide right over the edge of this cliff. That's the picture of the valley floor down below. The landing place is a field near the bottom of the four gondolas that it takes to get from the valley all the way to the top of the Schilthorn.

The paraglide rides with our four guides was one of the highlights of our vacation. People at work started muttering stuff about "key man risk" when they heard about it.
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Oct 08, 2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2015, 10:26 PM
Joined May 2001
2,470 Posts
Gordon,

Real Porsches have aircooled engines in the back!!!!!

I oughta know, I've owned two of them, and my '61 356B (owned since 1965) is in my garage right now!

But I do admire your tastes!!!

Family is life!! The most sustainable commodity on earth! The fertilizer is faith mixed with love!! (free advice........)
Old Oct 09, 2015, 02:50 AM
Find More Posts by derk
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,705 Posts
to say i am jealous is probably understating a bit, but it looks like loads of fun!!

all i did this year is drive to Disneyland in a 12 person van filled with 10 people, mostly in-laws lol!
granted, it was to help cheer up my wife's parents because they recently lost their home of 38 years to the wildfires in central Washington.

Anyways, thanks Gordon, i will be sure to get it flying
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Oct 09, 2015, 04:10 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Jim View Post
Gordon,

Real Porsches have aircooled engines in the back!!!!!

I oughta know, I've owned two of them, and my '61 356B (owned since 1965) is in my garage right now!

But I do admire your tastes!!!

Family is life!! The most sustainable commodity on earth! The fertilizer is faith mixed with love!! (free advice........)
Wow a 356. I'd love one of those. I think of my Macan as a sports car for someone with kids who lives where it snows. It is perfect for hauling kids to sport events, but handles excellent. Companies evolve. Porsche makes rear, mid, and front engine cars now. And BMW doesn't only make air cooled boxer twin motorcycles any more.

As I'm sure you know some of the 911 prototypes were mid engine. I've never understood why they made it rear engine when it went into production. It's not like they didn't have mid engine experience with the 550 Spyder. And some of the very early aluminum 356's were mid engine if I remember correctly. Then there was the 914 (I know, more VW than Porsche, except for the 6 cylinder versions). No surprise I'd be more likely to own a Cayman than a current 911. But that's just me.

We did go through Stuttgart to spend time in the Mercedes and Porsche museums. The Porsche museum was fantastic. I tried to get a factory tour but they were booked solid. We did see some 911's head through the the glass enclosed bridge across the road to the paint shop. Pretty cool.
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Oct 09, 2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 02:48 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,481 Posts
My son's plane has flown. I need to get some pics and post them. But, it did fly, and fly slowly. It's no aerobatic plane (how could it be with that huge wing in the back). But, it cruises around pretty slowly.
Old Jan 03, 2016, 06:53 PM
Joined May 2001
2,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Johnson View Post
My son's plane has flown. I need to get some pics and post them. But, it did fly, and fly slowly. It's no aerobatic plane (how could it be with that huge wing in the back). But, it cruises around pretty slowly.

Gordon, Good for him, and good for you!!!

Our kids are our most important commodity, Putting them (or better, "steering them") onto the right path is our most important duty. Looks like you've succeeded.