HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:29 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,640 Posts
I do the same. Fly to 400m out and try headhold then rth. If it comes back for 100m or so it is good
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:45 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
I usually test it in flight to make sure it comes home and doesn't go anywhere else (whatever the reason it would go elsewhere). I just fly a short distance and flip RTH and see if the coordinates a good and the thing works, then head far, far away . Don't know if it makes sense, but it makes me feel better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
I do the same. Fly to 400m out and try headhold then rth. If it comes back for 100m or so it is good
good advice! will definitely add that to the routine
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:30 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,957 Posts
Oooh... my 900mhz CP antennas came in.... guess i'll be discovering the penetration power compared to 5.8 ... i really gotta stop buying stuff.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:57 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,814 Posts
Curious about the results. I fly with a patch and Vee with 200 mW VTx on 900 mhz. Penetration is pretty good since I often fly behind trees low to the ground.
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:03 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Curious about the results. I fly with a patch and Vee with 200 mW VTx on 900 mhz. Penetration is pretty good since I often fly behind trees low to the ground.
well, as a test i'll mount my lowest power 900mhz tx on the hex and have it and the 5.8 transmitting at the same time, and record both, then mix the 2 videos together and upload them to youtube as a comparison... worth a shot anyways, i need to avoid work somehow....
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:23 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,814 Posts
Cool test ! very interested in that video. Stop working for now, you have enough things to play with. Sart working again just when you need more stuff...humm...true that if you continue in FPV, you'll need/want plenty more stuff. Better not stop working completely
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:35 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,957 Posts
hehe, i'm still in the slow time of year anyways, so i really don't work hard right now, next month will be a different story for sure
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:32 PM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,851 Posts
Interested in the side to side comparison too. Curious myself.
Shadrack is offline Find More Posts by Shadrack
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:29 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,957 Posts
hmmm found this cool video for removing jello from gopro...

DJI F450 GoPro get rid of Jello (3 min 13 sec)

i'm gonna try something similar on my gimbal in the next few days and report back.

buggar... another project!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:50 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,640 Posts
Well now that I got the Aquacopter flying nicely (with Naza) I have moved on to my other big spring project: FPV Combat/Racing wings. These are being built for a couple other avid RC flyers at our field who are interested in FPV.

Just got started on the quick change FPV pods (well the one I will use is completed). I will put them on two ends of the 5.8 spectrum, but no room for me on 5.8, so I will run 1280 when we all fly together. And am in the middle of building the 2 other wings (Mine is already done and flying for months now) to put the pods on. I figured newbies to FPV should have a proper FPV plane to do it with, and I love the TekPopSwift wings for this task. So I ordered up 2 Teksumos and a whack of FPV gear to get these guys started.

FPV systems: 5.8GHz 200mW + SuperHAD-WDR600tvl cameras + E-OSD
plane: Hobbyking Teksumo + 20amp power + 150W motor + 7x5 prop + 2200mah 3S 25C battery
some early stage photos:

The black things are the detachable (velcro) FPV pods I just made. Will add the electronics after the glue dries.

who can identify all 4 planes in the background??

One is all black, one is all white. Just in case we want to fly Line of Sight, or need spotters to know whos in first, whose on second.

I have a pair of 9 inch LCD screens, with video receivers and tripods to function as ground stations. Will have to make sunshades for these.

Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Feb 06, 2013 at 05:01 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:54 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,640 Posts
A new pod for myself - on 1280 MHz, with 700mW and an old Nova OSD. I now run FrSy with the patch (and have a 1W booster yet to add), so I can maybe run out a few km with my Teksumo now.

mockup of the new basic FPV pod. The front lip coroplast can bend to conform to leading edge of the wing if they wish to velcro it to another plane.

new paint jobs so spotters can see who's who. Seems black spray paint covers much better than white...

Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Feb 06, 2013 at 05:00 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:05 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,814 Posts
Those are nice little wings BC. I like the mass production The removable FPV pods are great, I like the idea.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:17 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,089 Posts
Ya the Popwing/TecSumo/Swift 2 are really nice sized wings for LOS or FPV flying. Light and durable and fairly small for transporting.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:52 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,957 Posts
wow that's a nice fleet of fpv planes there

with a booster on that frsky + a patch i'd be surprised if you didn't get 10km range
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:52 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,603 Posts
How's it going...eh! Just came across this thread and thought I'd chime in. I'm currently working on two Zebro wings, the 52 and 38. Should have them ready for this summer of flying. They will be contolled with DL and 1280 video. Just need to get going and finish them. I no longer fly LOS and do FPV only. My fleet includes MK quad, MK hexa, TBS Disco, QAV500, tri-copter, 1900 Skywalker, all FPV ready and powered by DL. I'm not a winter flyer much but will be out this Sunday for a flight demo with my disco and MK quad. Hope to get some paying work in the future. I need to get my butt going on a company manual and talking to TC. I'm also looking into 3D mapping, looks like a huge market for this.

Cheers, Brian
Buffythesaint is offline Find More Posts by Buffythesaint