HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:31 PM
200mph +
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Sep 2010
931 Posts
Much better with a working ESC!

Got some good flights in today, but I have flutter.... Video coming soon on the first 5s flight on a decent ESC. Soon as I start to get the speed up it flutters. Pretty sure it is a flap doing it.

Elevator has no slop, and the ailerons are pretty tight. Flaps have a fraction of a mm or so of slop though, and it's coming from the servo itself which isn't good. Nice solid large horns, and the servo arm is as short as it can go. Might need to pull them out and put something else in.

I'll link video once it's up.
sykotic is offline Find More Posts by sykotic
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:57 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykotic View Post
Much better with a working ESC!

Got some good flights in today, but I have flutter.... Video coming soon on the first 5s flight on a decent ESC. Soon as I start to get the speed up it flutters. Pretty sure it is a flap doing it.

Elevator has no slop, and the ailerons are pretty tight. Flaps have a fraction of a mm or so of slop though, and it's coming from the servo itself which isn't good. Nice solid large horns, and the servo arm is as short as it can go. Might need to pull them out and put something else in.

I'll link video once it's up.
I know that flap flutter sound by hart...will be waiting for vid ....If nothing else,just toss a bit of tape on the flaps and go fly her to see what you get...just remember not to hit that flap switch on the TX
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:14 PM
200mph +
Joined Sep 2010
931 Posts
Hmm... Can't hear the flutter very well on the video, I'm being too loud to hear it.

Loud vibration noise.

I can't remember if I used AMD or SCD servos on the flaps. I'll pull the covers and take a look. I should have thought about the taping of the flaps... Would have proved it one way or another.

Jolt F5D (3 min 37 sec)

Video should be done processing soon. Should be in 1080p once it's finished.

Motor was warm, but not bad. ESC was 65degrees on the IR thermometer. Battery was mid 60's.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:36 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,325 Posts
Looks fast! Pity about the flutter, maybe changing the blanace point of the flap will fix it. Slapping a strip of solder up under the wiper maybe enough to change the frequency it wants to resonate at.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:19 AM
The Prop is Where its At!
New Zealand, Bay Of Plenty, Omokoroa
Joined Dec 2012
816 Posts
Mean! Snds nice bro
blitzu is offline Find More Posts by blitzu
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:30 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,813 Posts
That mega screams very nice, sorry about flutter.

whats the amps ? 130-140A
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:56 PM
200mph +
Joined Sep 2010
931 Posts
At a guess it would be around 130.

Don't have a castle in this anymore so don't have logging.

Once I figure out how to stop the flutter I'll do (try to!) some clean doppler runs
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:39 PM
200mph +
Joined Sep 2010
931 Posts
Flutter fixed

Can someone have a go at manual doppler on this?

RCspeedo is picking up some passes, but the later passes are surely a bit slower due to the battery... I killed the pack I was using on this flight. Totally puffed beyond usage. Couldn't get it out of the plane
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:26 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,325 Posts
Nice! How was the flutter fixed?

Guessed at 25 degees C

1 - 309.9kmh +/- 8.19
2 - 308.36 +/- 8.15
3 - Had throttle change in it, its around 319kmh though (guestimate)
4 - 345.7 kmh +/- 7.87 (214 mph woop!) Nice looking pass, look perfect in wavoscope . Is between 36-39 seconds in jolt5sp1
5 - 331.26 kmh +/- 8
6 - 316.93kmh +/-7.93 (pass from sp2)

Attached audacity cut down passes as zip, #4 is the winner.

Welcome to the 200mph club
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:33 PM
200mph +
Joined Sep 2010
931 Posts
I figured that I had a tiny bit of movement in the clevis on both flaps. So some new servo arms, and carefully managed to get a 2/56 z bent rod through them. Far tighter fit than the clevis I did have.

Still got a fraction more movement in the servo output itself than I would like, but it's not fluttering so I'm happy.

Thanks for the dopplers

Thats running standard 4.75x4.75. Need to try one of the magic 4.1ish x 5.5's before my new toy for it gets here

Side note my Viperjet flew today. That one I crashed in Hastings... new fuse and it's away. Pretty quick as well
Last edited by sykotic; Feb 09, 2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:05 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,813 Posts
Nice speeds, seems the Jolt is pretty fast..
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:34 AM
I am actually really slow
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykotic View Post
I figured that I had a tiny bit of movement in the clevis on both flaps. So some new servo arms, and carefully managed to get a 2/56 z bent rod through them. Far tighter fit than the clevis I did have.

Still got a fraction more movement in the servo output itself than I would like, but it's not fluttering so I'm happy.

Thanks for the dopplers

Thats running standard 4.75x4.75. Need to try one of the magic 4.1ish x 5.5's before my new toy for it gets here

Side note my Viperjet flew today. That one I crashed in Hastings... new fuse and it's away. Pretty quick as well
How does the 4.1x5.5's pull Skyotic? I should make some carbon ones and lable them the 'noize machine' Always found the 4.1's make the sweetest noise
SlowBarless is offline Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber up close
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:56 PM
United States, SC, North Augusta
Joined May 2007
26 Posts
antique Jolt

I finally finished my Jolt. It's been sitting on the work bench for a long time. Programmed in 2 stages of flaps, with crow mixed into the second (lowest) flap position. For all of the control horns, I ordered some .080 G10 material and cut out all five. Linkages are all tight and slop free. I deviated a bit on the wing trailing edge "tape it down method" and CAREFULLY installed a pan head screw through the rear wing to attach it. I thought it a much simpler procedure than taping the rear of the wing to the fuse. It turned out perfectly. I found a tapered screw (with the same pitch) as the main wing screws. Glued in a small piece of light ply with a blind nut into the rear wing saddle to hold it all together.
I am planning on attending the Perry Georgia swap meet this weekend, but plan on first flights the following week.
seng30904 is offline Find More Posts by seng30904
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:03 PM
United States, SC, North Augusta
Joined May 2007
26 Posts
More pictures

Balances perfectly with the battery exactly in the middle of the wing saddle. 2s 350mAh receiver battery, Castle BEC, Castle Esc, motor/gearbox in the nose. Elevator servo and Rx in the rear. I've run the motor for a fairly long time with the wing on to evaluate temps, and find everything to be within normal limits. Set up for 10X23 prop, but will run the 10X19's for the first trim flights
seng30904 is offline Find More Posts by seng30904
Last edited by seng30904; Feb 26, 2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: additional info
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:37 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Nice! How was the flutter fixed?

Guessed at 25 degees C

1 - 309.9kmh +/- 8.19
2 - 308.36 +/- 8.15
3 - Had throttle change in it, its around 319kmh though (guestimate)
4 - 345.7 kmh +/- 7.87 (214 mph woop!) Nice looking pass, look perfect in wavoscope . Is between 36-39 seconds in jolt5sp1
5 - 331.26 kmh +/- 8
6 - 316.93kmh +/-7.93 (pass from sp2)

Attached audacity cut down passes as zip, #4 is the winner.

Welcome to the 200mph club
Big Congrats Man ! That is some nice speed
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child