SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
Guillows PT-17 RC Project

I am working on the Guillow's PT-17 Stearman kaydet, It is meant for u-control or free flight using a gas engine (.049 size), 28" wing span (Bi-plane), both wings are 4 1/2" deep, and I would like to make it electric RC. Here is my current (as of 9/10/12) progress:
Name: PT-018.jpg
Views: 65
Size: 65.1 KB
Description:

Unfortunately, I have no experience with RC, so I am having a hard time finding electronic bits online, but right now, I need some servos. This may sound relatively easy, but I am on a tight budget and the servos need to be compatible with the FlySky
FS-R8B receiver (after excessive searching on the web, I cannot seem to find out whether they need to be of a specific type?). I'm going to post progress as I proceed with the plane, but in the meantime; any advice, especially about servos and receiver compatibility would be much appreciated.
escargo is offline Find More Posts by escargo
Last edited by escargo; Sep 11, 2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: picture doesn't work
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:52 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,070 Posts
As an inexperienced builder and flyer, you have made the same poor choice that most of us have made, and (learned from). Guillows kits have great "box art" but are small in wing area and not designed to carry the weight of RC gear and be able to fly in a scale like manner. Most beginners stall and crash attempting the first flight. The PT-17 is a particularly complicated and fragile model that only a few experienced builders have successfully converted to electric powered RC. Recommend you save some more money and buy a larger and simpler high wing Cub type model kit or short kit designed for electric powered RC and typical inexpensive power and RC gear. Buying a foam ARF Cub-type model , and getting help learning to fly it in a club is also a good idea for any beginner.

Suggest you look at what Pat Tritle, Mountain Models, Stevens Aero, Alien Aircraft , Manzano Laser Works and others have to offer. You can tackle converting the Guillows PT-17 when you have a lot more building and flying experience. You could build the model per plans as a nice display model and learn construction and covering methods. Many of Pat Tritle's designs are covered on detailed build threads in this forum, click on the blue listings on Pat's website:

http://www.patscustom-models.com/
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Sep 11, 2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:42 PM
SVX
Joined Oct 2002
638 Posts
I have to agree with E-Challenged, having successfully built and flown one I can tell you that weight is critical. I drilled lightening holes in all the ribs, shaved all possible wood from the tail surfaces and used lighter wood for the leading edges. I was running two cells and she flew really well.....until I painted it. Once painted the stall speed increased and flying speed increased dramatically. It lost it's fun. I have tried several different setups including using a three cell for nose weight, using smaller servos moved forward of CG. Nothing helped once I passed that all too critical weight figure. Now it sits on top of my TV stripped of all electronics. I have often thought of enlarging the plans to 35"-40" but never had the time.
Pats models would be a great start, I also have been eyeing the Jim Young models Waco to fill the Stearman gap, though I would cover it in Solite this time.
FWIW,
Dust
SVX is offline Find More Posts by SVX
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:25 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,828 Posts
What you have built so far looks good, but...

Having done quite a few rubber free flight conversions I will tell you this, it ain't easy. There are things like CG and incidence angles to learn about first. These models do fly but need to be lightened considerably to fly well.
If you have no experience with RC I'm afraid you will be setting yourself up for failure on this one.

I think you would be better off buying a Slow Stick and learning how to fly first. They are cheap and fly very well.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...its/Categories
Looks like they are currently out of stock, you'll have to search around to find one.
Looks like Caliber Hobby shows them in the flashing banner ad. Look at Heads up for a suitable power system that you can transfer to your next model. Send Jeff at heads up an email and he'll hook you up with everything you need.

9 gram servos should work with your receiver and they are less than 5 bucks http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...pro/Categories

Once you learn how to fly then maybe take on one of Pat's kits.
You will save yourself a lot of time and frustration if you learn to walk before you try to run...

We want you to see you succeed, not fail and give up before you have a chance to enjoy this hobby!

Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:26 PM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
Hey escargo,

Trust me, take everything to heart from the experts above!!

I've been back into building and flying RC for a little over a year now. I've built perhaps 20 or more planes of one sort or another foamies/ balsa/ guillows and others since this crazy hobby has sunk it's fangs into me.

I recently finished what I thought would be a great flyer, a Guillows Champ made larger to a nice 36" WS.

Well the darned plane was pretty, but did'nt fly too well at all. My tale of woe can be seen here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1701226

Follow Glenn's advice and get a slowstick, Champ or something like that. You wil bel further ahead in this great hobby if you start off that way, then give the Guillows a try a year or so from now, I've got aout 5 Guillows kits stashed away that perhaps someday I'll give another try.

Best of luck,

Bill
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Thank you, everyone for the advice, I didn't expect so many posts. I have just ordered a low cost trainer http://www.nitroplanes.com/brnew4chrcrt.html, so I can learn something about flying R/C before attempting the PT-17. As far as that is concerned, I think I am making reasonable progress. I plan on keeping it as light as possible using an electric motor significantly lighter than the 049 plus lightweight servos and receiver. The servos glewis suggested seem to fit the bill. I want to build the PT-17 in the short term because it has already sat in storage for 2 years and I want the model-building experience. The engine/radio/servos should also be useful in future builds, regardless of the PT-17 outcome.
escargo is offline Find More Posts by escargo
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:23 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,828 Posts
Never a bad idea to get a few 'practice' builds under your belt. I think you are making a wise decision by learning to fly on a trainer first.
Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis