SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:02 AM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
so final note before flight testing, I spent quite a bit of tonight bench testing this heli, got everything all set. Twice tonight the tail locked up, I switched modes, the gyro switch and the light changed and the tail unlocked. I have no idea why the tail locked and I could not replicate it, I mean other that the first 2 times it happened.

I also noticed that they cyclic servos twitch when I switch between HH and RATE mode. Now, in real life I never use RATE mode and typically only switch between the two during initial setup flights, but it concerns me. When I see things like that I wonder about other design quality issues might be buried in the box

Anyway, everything is setup, moves in the correct direction and I have not been able to lock up the tail so it looks like as soon as the weather breaks ....she flies
In my experience, seeing the swash twitch when you switch HH/Rate is either caused by trim on your Tx or a gyro initialization problem - such as happens if you move the heli around after plugging in the pack, or if the power fluctuates during initialization. Usually, resetting the gyro by flicking the Gear switch a few times resolves the issue.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:39 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,710 Posts
On both my CX's, one of which is a CX-ZYX 3.5, there is a small glitch when you flip from HH to rate mode in flight - it usually causes a bit of pitch up. It's not something that has changed with any of the firmware revisions.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:46 AM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Jan 2013
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
I've spent the entire week making a satellite work with my DX8, actually worked pretty much automatically with my old DX7 but the DX8.....whew

At first I used a Orange RX 9 ch but my rudder didn't work, everything else did but not the rudder. So here is what I did:

Used an AR6200 (DMS2 RX, NOT DSMX), connect your satellite to the 6200, or orange 6 ch but it appears to require a 6 chan RX so the rudder maps correctly in the ZYX-s.

Once you bind the satellite to the AR6200, plug it into the RUDDER channel of the ZYX-s with your ESC in the AIL channel.

Power up the ZYX-s and hit the reset button untl you get a solid red or blue light, connect your PC or programmer and select DSM2-2 for the interface. Save exit and reboot the ZYX-s and everything should work.....

proceed with setup

BTW, it should work with a DSMX satellite but you must use a DSM2 RX to bind, the ZYX-s does not understand DSMX....
Thanks for the reply.

It sounds like you have forced the Spektrum DSMX satellite to work in DSM2, this is no bad thing as 3GX doesn't support DSMX anyway.

Question is, is the Orange R100 as safe as the Spektrum DSM2 satellites?

Regards.
GadgetMart is offline Find More Posts by GadgetMart
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:32 AM
Joined Jan 2013
197 Posts
I have just done two 5 minute test flights with the Orange R100, bound directly to the Tarot ZYX-S.

No problems and no glitching (so far)
Last edited by GadgetMart; Feb 02, 2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:00 AM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,072 Posts
The only satellites you can buy new from most domestic outlets now are DSMX.

I am unclear on this point:

Are you telling me that you can use them with a (DX7)DSM2 transmitter?
or
Are you telling me that you that you have to use them with a (DX8)DSMX transmitter, and use the DSM2 protocol selection?
fpainter3 is offline Find More Posts by fpainter3
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:06 AM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpainter3 View Post
The only satellites you can buy new from most domestic outlets now are DSMX.

I am unclear on this point:

Are you telling me that you can use them with a (DX7)DSM2 transmitter?
or
Are you telling me that you that you have to use them with a (DX8)DSMX transmitter, and use the DSM2 protocol selection?
if you bind our DSMX connected to a DSM2 RX, it will revert to DSM2. If you bind it with a DSMX RX such as a AR8000 and a DX8, it will bind in DSMX mode and there is no ZYX-s selection for DSMX.

I am actually using a DSM2 satellite but I have a DSMX and will bind my second to that. Before the day is over I will post the results.

The good news is, the ZYX-s and satellite look sexy on the 300x
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:11 AM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,072 Posts
What i am trying to find out is will the new DSMX satellites work with the older DSM2 transmitters? or do we have to eventually scrap our transmitters?
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:20 AM
Joined Jan 2013
197 Posts
Quote:
What i am trying to find out is will the new DSMX satellites work with the older DSM2 transmitters? or do we have to eventually scrap our transmitters?
Yes they do, they are backwards compatible and operate in DSM2 mode.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:22 AM
Joined Jan 2013
197 Posts
Has anyone got a satellite working in DSMX with Tarot or is it DSM2 only?

Sill waiting for an answer to my question. Is the Orange R100 any good?

i.e. is it Orange R710 good? (which is a decent DSM2 rx) or is it Orange R610 bad (i.e. glitches?)

Many thanks.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:32 AM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetMart View Post
Has anyone got a satellite working in DSMX with Tarot or is it DSM2 only?

Sill waiting for an answer to my question. Is the Orange R100 any good?

i.e. is it Orange R710 good? (which is a decent DSM2 rx) or is it Orange R610 bad (i.e. glitches?)

Many thanks.
I have the Orange 610 on 4 helis and have had no problems what so ever. Sorry, I cant coment on the 710 or 100, never used one>
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:41 AM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Quote:
I just used a DSMX satellite connected to a AR6200 and bound to my DX8.

connected it to the ZYX-s and set the coms to DSM2-1. Fired up perfectly.

You can use a DSMX satellite but you must use a DSM2 RX to bind it. I have put my last AR6200 in a sacred place since it will be my bind box for my 2 ZYX-s. Second ZYX is one is going on my EXI250 but that project is low on the list so I don't expect to get there for a little bit. The ZYX works well with the satellites.....very cool

BTW gadgetmart, I hear the orange RX and satellites work fine but I don't have any orange satellites to try with so that is based on ready threads on HF. I like the DSM satellites as they have 2 antennas but there is no rational reason not to use an Orange satellite RX.
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:41 AM
Canada, ON, Muskoka
Joined Jul 2011
667 Posts
Here's my experience.

I have a OrangeRX 100 Sat (DSM2) on my Blade 450 fbl conversion, solo, no full size receiver, although I did bind it to a full size 6 channel Orange receiver first. Never had an issue with it. Was it a pain to get it to work with the ZYX-S and my DX8, it sure was, but in the end it started to work(?). More than 50+ flights later, it works fine.

I purchased some Spektrum DSM2 Satellites and tried the exact same methods as above and they would not work properly with the Dx8. They would talk, but the channel assignments were always messed up, and couldn't be corrected. Why the Orange DSM2's work and the Spektrum DSM2's don't, I have no idea. Some here have got them to work, but with a Dx7.

It's my understanding that there is no issues whatsoever if you use any DSMX satellite, with any radio.

Just my findings.

Glen
Muskoka1 is online now Find More Posts by Muskoka1
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:52 AM
Joined Jan 2013
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka1 View Post
It's my understanding that there is no issues whatsoever if you use any DSMX satellite, with any radio.

Just my findings.

Glen
I am using a DSMX satellite with a DX6i and I can't get it to work.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the Tarot ZYX-S supports DSMX.

DSMX satellites may indeed work if they are forced into DSM2 mode, such as by binding with a Spektrum DSM2 RX first.

Mine is working a treat with my Orange R100, but I would be happier with a genuine Spektrum dual antenna satellite.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:25 PM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,072 Posts
http://www.targethobby.com/spectrum-...p-4162043.html

I have one of these and it works great. I just ordered 4 more, 2 for me and 2 for my neighbor.He is going to use them on a Skookum 540.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:56 PM
Joined Jan 2013
197 Posts
Quote:
http://www.targethobby.com/spectrum-...p-4162043.html

I have one of these and it works great. I just ordered 4 more, 2 for me and 2 for my neighbor.He is going to use them on a Skookum 540.
Thanks for that! Even with UK postage, that's a decent buy.

I've just ordered one.