HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 02, 2011, 07:05 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
Joined Jan 2011
41 Posts
bricked try this (provided by eletoponline365) --> Instructions for turning the timestamp on and off and the driver
ShinG0 is offline Find More Posts by ShinG0
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2011, 07:23 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
Here's a quick comparison I did this morning as a storm was moving in... It's the Keychain camera, a JVC Picsio, and a Kodak Playsport. I think the keychain camera holds it's own quite well!

You can see the wider FOV on the keychain camera here too. Forgot to mention that in the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iePKuR0rmio
I also like the Playsport video, but I have a ZxD (oops!). Get similar result at 720p and 60FPS, can get one on Ebay for $49, refurb. I bought my first Kodak digital as a refurb, and swear it was brand new - I think they might dump them that way if a model change is upcoming.

As for AOV, agree with Tom, just have to fly higher. The big advantage of the HD808 is the size and weight, no question
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Last edited by victapilot; Feb 02, 2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 07:24 AM
Joined Feb 2011
3 Posts
thank you ShinG0, but I'm afraid I can't try those firmwares, the camera does not boot anymore (it currently does nothing, seems completely dead). It would be nice if it had an emergency boot procedure just to allow reflashing again, though I think that nothing can be done now exept hardware repairing I wonder what failed... maybe the firmware was not the correct one for my camera?
bricked is offline Find More Posts by bricked
Old Feb 02, 2011, 08:08 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
I also like the Playsport video, but I have a ZxD (oops!). Get similar result at 720p and 60FPS, can get one on Ebay for $49, refurb. I bought my first Kodak digital as a refurb, and swear it was brand new - I think they might dump them that way if a model change is upcoming.

As for AOV, agree with Tom, just have to fly higher. The big advantage of the HD808 is the size and weight, no question
I just got this Playsport as a refurb about a week ago, and I really think it was new. There's instructions on accessing a "hidden" menu on YouTube that logs all the pictures and video taken as well as power cycles and other info. Mine apparently had not been used before I got it.
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Feb 02, 2011, 08:33 AM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I like the wider AOV for AV use. A little post processing to desaturate the color and tame the hot spot, plus a click less contrast and a touch of sharpening, and the HD key cam would compare even better! I've notice the color saturation really "blooms" as the light level increases. If we could just find a different lens that more evenly illuminates the CMOS array in the corners, I think a lot of the central "hot spot" would disappear.
I'm totally in agreement here... A lot of the issues can be post processed out which is what I do to every video I make anyway so it's no extra work. The only one things I've seen so far that truly nag at me are that stairstepped shutter control and the way it appears to be so rigidly center weighted (turn just a bit to the sky and BOOM there goes the ground into darkness). If it were more averaged, it would be miles better.

I plan to rip mine apart first thing and see about modifying it for use with M12x0.5 cctv lenses. These are the same lenses commonly used in board cameras, and I just happen to have a set of four, brand new, aluminum M12x0.5 lens mounts that I got from eBay for projects just like this. If I can figure out how to attach one in a way that is strong and sure, aligned well and all that, then I'll post a complete vid and documentation on how I did it and what results I got compared to the stock cam. It should be REALLY interesting to see this thing go with one of the fat little MegaPixels 4mm wide aperture monsters, especially if it turns out that the internal IR filter is on the stock lens and not integral to the CMOS chip. Just imagine the effects of increased aperture *and* NIR light grabbing for low light use, wooo ha! She'd be a hot little number!

A thought just occurred to me... Radio Shack sells these very small, ABS black plastic project boxes that just might be the ticket to rebox the whole camera board. This would allow a lot of mod work to be done, like an external power jack (that tap into the flight lipo idea RULES), the bigger M12x0.5 lens mount, or perhaps a bigger internal lipo cell to run the camera. It would free me up to do a lot of things to the camera that the existing case likely won't allow, and that particular project box can't weigh much.

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Last edited by NightRunner417; Feb 02, 2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 08:46 AM
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
It's probably asking a lot but could someone post an image of the camera guts with a ruler for scale, or is there such already out there somewhere? I'd like to compare against the size of the mini project box I was referring to.

Rick NR417
Old Feb 02, 2011, 09:01 AM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
I have just received mine from hxelepro360 in 7 days from the date of order and 6 from posting.

Date removed and working fine.

I just need to adjust the focus which is pin sharp from 1 to 6ft then a bit Flycam after that.
RobC(UK) is offline Find More Posts by RobC(UK)
Old Feb 02, 2011, 09:10 AM
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC(UK) View Post
I have just received mine from hxelepro360 in 7 days from the date of order and 6 from posting.

Date removed and working fine.

I just need to adjust the focus which is pin sharp from 1 to 6ft then a bit Flycam after that.
Wow, that's speedy quick, congrats! I hope mine gets here as quickly, I'm gettin anxious. :-)

Rick NR417
Old Feb 02, 2011, 09:27 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
Joined Jan 2011
41 Posts
@bricked and reset does not working too?
ShinG0 is offline Find More Posts by ShinG0
Old Feb 02, 2011, 10:09 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofa View Post
Hi Guys
Bought a HD720P and then i started ,I have 2 Turnigy key cams both work fine wanted to get into HD, what have I done, Why cant the Chinese write instructions using someone who is fluent in English, having no real luck in getting it into the recording mode, somehow fluked a couple, couldn,t download to PC, removed card to Turnigy cam and was able to download and view, what I saw was OK, what Is my problem, am I Dumb or can someone help me .
Goofa
Goofa,

Your post is somewhat confusing to me. You stated "you're having no real luck getting it into record mode," but you were able to read recorded video with a card reader. So, you were able to record some video you just don't know how you did it. Correct? When recording no light stays on (it's a spycam). If your camera is working you turn the camera on, press the record button and the light blinks then goes out, the camera is recording. When finished recording press the off button.

Connect the HD camera to your PC with the provided USB cable. Your PC should recognize it as a storage device. If not, try a different USB cable. Some of the provided Mini USB cables are defective. '

Hope this helps.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2011, 10:18 AM
Joined Feb 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinG0 View Post
@bricked and reset does not working too?
No, reset doesn't work.

The battery circuit seems to be the only working thing, the red light turns on when usb plugged, and it turns off when charged. But that's all... it can't be switched on, the computer can't see the usb device, neither the power button nor the reset work. Probably it was just bad luck, other people seems to report no problems with the firmware.

I think I will assume my $40 has been lost and get another one. Very sad, I was anxious to attach it to my toy heli But this time I'll ask the seller if they can send me one whith the "no date" firmware already applied, no more risks again.
bricked is offline Find More Posts by bricked
Old Feb 02, 2011, 10:48 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,698 Posts
The IR filter IS on the rear surface of the lens, Rick. I'll be interested in your mod. Getting the CMOS array perpendicular to the lens axis will be the biggest trick, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRunner417 View Post
I plan to rip mine apart first thing and see about modifying it for use with M12x0.5 cctv lenses.
If I can figure out how to attach one in a way that is strong and sure, aligned well and all that, then I'll post a complete vid and documentation on how I did it and what results I got compared to the stock cam. It should be REALLY interesting to see this thing go with one of the fat little MegaPixels 4mm wide aperture monsters, especially if it turns out that the internal IR filter is on the stock lens and not integral to the CMOS chip
Rick NR417
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Feb 02, 2011, 10:53 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRunner417 View Post
It's probably asking a lot but could someone post an image of the camera guts with a ruler for scale, or is there such already out there somewhere? I'd like to compare against the size of the mini project box I was referring to.

Rick NR417
There are photos of the circuit boards in Post #2. The rubber case measures 2.0 in. long x 1.25 in. wide x .50 in. thick. The circuit board is obviously a little smaller, but mine isn't open right now to measure.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 10:58 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricked View Post
I think I will assume my $40 has been lost and get another one. Very sad, I was anxious to attach it to my toy heli But this time I'll ask the seller if they can send me one whith the "no date" firmware already applied, no more risks again.
Contact your seller. I think they will send you a new one if you return the old one. It sounds like you may have gotten one of the early models with different firmware that bricks when you load the date removal firmware.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 11:00 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofa View Post
Hi Guys
Bought a HD720P and then i started ,I have 2 Turnigy key cams both work fine wanted to get into HD, what have I done, Why cant the Chinese write instructions using someone who is fluent in English, having no real luck in getting it into the recording mode, somehow fluked a couple, couldn,t download to PC, removed card to Turnigy cam and was able to download and view, what I saw was OK, what Is my problem, am I Dumb or can someone help me .
Goofa
See Post #3 for a link to the basic camera function descriptions.
Closed Thread