SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 27, 2014, 09:04 AM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
443 Posts
Mine was clearly underpowered and/or the pilot was not adequatly skilled. I replaced the motor with a .10 motor, a 30 amp ESC, and a bigger prop. It is probably now overpowered, but it still lacks stability. It loses a lot of altitude with turns. I enjoy flying it but is NOT a trainer.
tmulligan is offline Find More Posts by tmulligan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2014, 09:26 AM
Your INVERTED!
United States, OK, Coweta
Joined Jul 2005
640 Posts
The wind was blowing enough yesterday I can't really say how stable it is going to be. It wanted to weather vane, and it got tossed around pretty good, but it handled it fine. Just can't say what it will fly like in smooth air yet. Still looking for a pilot figure and going to paint the interior Black.

Do you guys have pilots in yours? Where did you find them?? What size are they? I ordered the 1/9 scale Hank from Horizon and it was WAAAAAY TO BIG!!!!
w0ace is offline Find More Posts by w0ace
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 16.5% J-3 Cub
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:02 AM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w0ace View Post
The wind was blowing enough yesterday I can't really say how stable it is going to be. It wanted to weather vane, and it got tossed around pretty good, but it handled it fine. Just can't say what it will fly like in smooth air yet. Still looking for a pilot figure and going to paint the interior Black.

Do you guys have pilots in yours? Where did you find them?? What size are they? I ordered the 1/9 scale Hank from Horizon and it was WAAAAAY TO BIG!!!!
No pilot here.

Smooth air it find it flies very nice, just watch the speed on the turns and as you have discovered, a liberal application of rudder is needed to minimize adverse yaw.
Rem Fodder is offline Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:51 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2013
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmulligan View Post
Mine was clearly underpowered and/or the pilot was not adequatly skilled. I replaced the motor with a .10 motor, a 30 amp ESC, and a bigger prop. It is probably now overpowered, but it still lacks stability. It loses a lot of altitude with turns. I enjoy flying it but is NOT a trainer.
Losing altitude in turns usually means it is nose heavy. Also, I find this Cub (as probably the case for all Cubs) needs to be steered more with rudder. I like to practice the flat turns where I steer with rudder and apply opposite aileron simulataneously to keep it from diving. When done correctly, the plane will not lose any altitude and will literally appear to turn flat.
deadzone is online now Find More Posts by deadzone
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:43 PM
Your INVERTED!
United States, OK, Coweta
Joined Jul 2005
640 Posts
Yeah, mine is still nose heavy. Balances in the mid range of the CG, but you roll it inverted and you need lots of up to keep the nose up. Working on moving some stuff back to get to the rearward location or further back. I'm flying my Hobbistar 60 waaaay back behind the recommended CG range. Flies SOOOOO much nicer. No elevator need to fly inverted, spins fast, snaps great, and will hold a flare to a walk....So next up is moving the CG aft, painting the interior, adding pilot.....AND FLY!!!! ;-)
w0ace is offline Find More Posts by w0ace
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 16.5% J-3 Cub
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:17 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadzone View Post
Losing altitude in turns usually means it is nose heavy. Also, I find this Cub (as probably the case for all Cubs) needs to be steered more with rudder. I like to practice the flat turns where I steer with rudder and apply opposite aileron simulataneously to keep it from diving. When done correctly, the plane will not lose any altitude and will literally appear to turn flat.
Thank you. That was very helpful.
tmulligan is offline Find More Posts by tmulligan
Old Jul 29, 2014, 07:04 AM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w0ace View Post
Yeah, mine is still nose heavy. Balances in the mid range of the CG, but you roll it inverted and you need lots of up to keep the nose up. Working on moving some stuff back to get to the rearward location or further back. I'm flying my Hobbistar 60 waaaay back behind the recommended CG range. Flies SOOOOO much nicer. No elevator need to fly inverted, spins fast, snaps great, and will hold a flare to a walk....So next up is moving the CG aft, painting the interior, adding pilot.....AND FLY!!!! ;-)

Since you expressed an interest in putting your Cub on floats, thought I would re-post the video link of mine on water. This is with no water rudder which as you can see makes for some hairy on water control.

Flyzone Super Cub on floats (8 min 34 sec)
Old Aug 01, 2014, 06:52 AM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,093 Posts
A note to anyone that has a lot of flying time on their Cubs. I decided the other night to put the Cub back on floats and to install a rudder system. During an inspection of the rudder I noticed the foam hinge had less than 2 inches of material left holding the rudder to the vertical fin. A few more flights and it likely would have separated. I will repair using pin hinges. My Dynam WACO was experiencing the same fatigue of material in the tail surfaces, and it uses the same foam type hinge set up that the Cub uses. The pin hinges solved that problem.

I plan to use a pull-pull wire set up from the base of the rudder post to the float rudder. Will post some pictures once I get it done. I think the Cub will permanently remain on the floats after this mod is done.
Old Aug 06, 2014, 07:49 PM
SW PA
Joined Aug 2010
487 Posts
Hey guys,
My S-Cub still had problems on grass at our club field with the 2 5/8" dia. Sensei tires. I went to my LHS, Tailspin Hobbies, & Tom, the owner, has a fellow mfg. these lightweight foam tires....perfect size for my needs....$7.99/pr. They are 4" dia. & worked great when I tested them on my uncut grass. Now it looks like the club field will be no problem since the field officer managed to get the county to cut the grass 1" shorter with the gang reel mowers. No problems with takeoffs/landings & no noticeable change in flight as I fly it cruising style. Here's some pics....

Denny
yorkiepap is offline Find More Posts by yorkiepap
Old Aug 07, 2014, 05:59 AM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,093 Posts
Looks good! I had 3" wheels on mine that worked just fine till one fell off over my uncut hayfield, its likely rolled up inside a round bale now!

Progress on the water rudders installation for the floats is progressing. Hope to have something flyable by the weekend as time and weather permits.