HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2015, 02:29 PM
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined May 2007
1,105 Posts
Build Log
Scale Build-Off 4 - ParkflyerPlastics 95" span P-40

I'd like to toss my hat into ring with the scale build off. I wanted to start this build anyway so why not take advantage of the extra motivation.

The BIG thread on this model is here. This is where the model was initially developed. There is also an active thread by bwoollia. It was his thread that got motivated to get a start on mine as well.

The kit can be found at parkflyerplastics.com and I also picked up the CNC cut ribs and formers from kenscadmodels.com.

I got a bit of a start last night. The model is built on an assembly rig made of electrical conduit. So far I've only deviated from the other builds by
  • Enlarging the rig holes to fit 1/2 conduit
  • Added multiple spacers between formers to aid in keeping proper alignment while the skins are attached.
wilmracer is offline Find More Posts by wilmracer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2015, 04:05 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,647 Posts
Looks like a good start!
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 05, 2015, 04:13 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,764 Posts
Gotta watch.
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Jan 06, 2015, 05:57 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
25,180 Posts
Yeah, me too.
I'm ashamed to say that I bugged Keith to get this semi-kit and plans done so I could build it and ordered it as soon as he had them available. It has sat languishing in my shop ever since.
I will build it but for now will just sit back and watch.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2015, 07:41 AM
Joined May 2007
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
I will build it but for now will just sit back and watch.

J
If John starts a build thread I'll be deleting this one.

Not much building time last night but I did cut the skins for the fuse and ordered a few things for the build. Hope to get a bit of work done tonight.
Old Jan 06, 2015, 11:05 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
25,180 Posts
No worry there, I'll just be watching.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2015, 08:14 PM
Joined May 2007
1,105 Posts
Bit more done tonight. Got the temporary cockpit deck installed, one of the skins applied, and ran the pushrod supports. The picture only shows 3 but I added a fourth. The plans show a linkage system from the rudder to the steerable fixed tail wheel. I'm not sure I'm going to go that route... might go pull-pull for the rudder and just put a small servo in to drive the retractable tail wheel or work up a linkage. I've got the tail wheel retract on order so I'll have to see how it looks.

The servo location might have to be moved slightly back depending on how I decide to do the cockpit as well. The included pilot would look great but I have one in mind that I want to use.
Old Jan 06, 2015, 11:57 PM
Joined May 2008
3,647 Posts
Looks good! Make sure that the conduits are still straight when you put the other side on, I'll bet that the skin is warping them slightly right now.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 07, 2015, 01:08 AM
Joined May 2007
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoollia View Post
Looks good! Make sure that the conduits are still straight when you put the other side on, I'll bet that the skin is warping them slightly right now.
Still awake for work :-(

Yeah... the spacers help a bit. Not pictured are 90* braces on the firewall section to help hold the formers perpendicular to the conduits. I checked before the gorilla glue setup to make sure everything was still aligned and I'll check and re-check before and while the other skin goes on.

The pictures don't really give a good idea of how large it is
Old Jan 07, 2015, 09:42 AM
Joined May 2008
3,647 Posts
I figured you had a plan! I sheeted mine both sides at the same time - front half first, back half second which helped keep everything straight. Great work!
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 07, 2015, 09:03 PM
Joined May 2007
1,105 Posts
More work done tonight. Got the other skin on and added a few of the cap strips. I don't have all the thicknesses of foam that Sparks had for this build so I laminated a few layers of model airplane foam with foam-tac. Seems to work well. The foam-tac sands much better than gorilla glue.

I also cut the parts for the cowl. Again I didn't have any foam that was exactly 1/2" so I rigged up a jig with my handheld hotwire to trim each layer. Worked well.
Old Jan 07, 2015, 09:07 PM
Joined May 2008
3,647 Posts
Well, you've almost caught up to me in the fuselage department...
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 08, 2015, 08:30 AM
Joined May 2007
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoollia View Post
Well, you've almost caught up to me in the fuselage department...
With the wife out of the country I haven't adjusted to the empty house yet. The last few nights I've lost track of time and been in the shop until 1 or 2 AM. I've got a long way to go to catch where you're at and there is no way I'll be able to keep up this much momentum through the entire build.
Old Jan 08, 2015, 03:01 PM
Joined May 2008
3,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmracer View Post
With the wife out of the country I haven't adjusted to the empty house yet. The last few nights I've lost track of time and been in the shop until 1 or 2 AM. I've got a long way to go to catch where you're at and there is no way I'll be able to keep up this much momentum through the entire build.
I hear ya. I get my best work done in an empty house - which is almost never these days!
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 09, 2015, 08:54 AM
Joined May 2007
1,105 Posts
Not quite as much of an insomniac last night, but I'm happy with what I got done. I have pretty bad allergies and sanding balsa or foam always seems to set them off so I took a few benedryl mid way through rough shaping and that knocked me out before it got too late.

I got the balsa pieces laminated to the fuse and cowl. Before shaping I wanted to work out the cowl attachment. On Spark's original design the attachment was magnets and alignment tabs. This resulted in air pressure pushing the cowl into the back of the spinner and made for a rough first flight.

Sparks now provides L brackets for cowl attachment, but I opted for a similar home-grown solution. I made small plates from light ply and used 4-40 threaded bolts with blind nuts to secure the cowl. The plates sit flush with each other. In the cowl the area from the plate to the surface is covered with a section of balsa. This way I can shape the entire thing in one pass and have by bolt heads recessed cleanly.

That is pretty long-winded. The pictures make sense on their own

Once that was cured I hit it with the sanding bars to get a rough shape on everything. I really like the instant gratification of seeing this come together so quickly. It is starting to look like a P-40!