HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Feb 2013
750 Posts
My only wish is a little more power. I bought the G2 to learn to fly auto gyros and I am glad I did. It is a fun little aircraft to fly. I just wish it had a little more power for loops and things of that sort. RCM&E (the British mag) had plans for a pretty sweet gyro a while back and now I do believe I will build it! All that said, the G2 is very fun and relaxing to fly. It's a hoot in 5-10 mph winds! Now I just need to order more 3S 1300 mAh batteries!
roversgonemad is online now Find More Posts by roversgonemad
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2012
1,059 Posts
roversgonemad, I have also been thinking about making a micro auto gyro for flying indoors, caught the bug a bit.

I hear some guys have run the stock motor on 4s which sounds like a good idea (probably with a slightly smaller prop). Another option is rewinding the motor, its an easy one to work with & much better performance can be had. Im a bit of an addict & end up stripping every motor I lay my hands on .
limmacslim is online now Find More Posts by limmacslim
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM
Gavalar
United Kingdom, Heckington
Joined Mar 2007
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogshome View Post
Number of takeoffs = number of landings on Sunday woohoo!

My lesson is learned. it is not a helicopter. It's definitely an aeroplane with a rotary wing and some dodgy handling traits

As long as I fly it around moderately fast and do not slow down it behaves. A long rollout like an aircraft on landing is also required.

The elevator head mod is very effective and I think wooden blades will give much more safety if I forget and slow down like a heli can.

Building an AJAY now.
Keith, nah, fly it slower, although I get what you mean about a rolling landing. Even with the Ajay I've noticed that it is more likely to bounce on touchdown which then leads to the inevitable roll over. Get some wooden blades and it will be a dream
GavinLivsey is offline Find More Posts by GavinLivsey
Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM
USA, Mt, Billings
Joined Mar 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roversgonemad View Post
My only wish is a little more power. I bought the G2 to learn to fly auto gyros and I am glad I did. It is a fun little aircraft to fly. I just wish it had a little more power for loops and things of that sort. RCM&E (the British mag) had plans for a pretty sweet gyro a while back and now I do believe I will build it! All that said, the G2 is very fun and relaxing to fly. It's a hoot in 5-10 mph winds! Now I just need to order more 3S 1300 mAh batteries!
Which of the RCM&E gyros are you looking at? I've got the two they've done in the last year or so, the Panther (slightly larger) and, more recently, the Atom. The Atom uses the rotor head from the "old" (from a couple years ago) semi-scale Hobby King Cierva (which I also have). I ordered up a few of the rotor heads (unfortunately only available from the overseas warehouse). I'll build one "to plan", but I want to install this spare Auto-G2 pre-rotator assembly I ordered up into another one.

If I'm successful with the Auto-G2 and the Atom I'll have a go at the Panther...

Scott
NOISY MUSE is offline Find More Posts by NOISY MUSE
Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Feb 2013
750 Posts
The Panther, I think it's a great looking machine.
roversgonemad is online now Find More Posts by roversgonemad
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM
USA, Mt, Billings
Joined Mar 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roversgonemad View Post
The Panther, I think it's a great looking machine.
Yes it is, and there are a lot of 'em built and flying as "proof of concept". If you get one done I'm LONG overdue for a trip to 'Falls. I haven't been there in almost 25 years now. Was from Seattle then, Billings now...we're almost neighbors. Have to get in some gyro-time with someone, no one here seems interested (yet).

Got my servos in, linked up, and adjusted satisfactorily. Was about to install the prop and find that my kit is missing the prop spinner. Probably just as well...the back plate is bent too. I'm thinking I'll just take it off and run the prop "bare".

Now I need to tuck both esc's into the fuselage and find a good place for the receiver in there. Install the prop and the rotor and she'll be ready to fly.

Scott
Last edited by NOISY MUSE; Yesterday at 10:16 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:11 PM
USA, Mt, Billings
Joined Mar 2009
343 Posts
Ah rats...another disappointment with the kit. No spinner in the box. Probably just as well, not a fan of this "glue-on" foam spinner stuff. Plus the back plate for it is not that great, a fair bit of lateral run out, etc. Maybe I'll try to find a 3-blade spinner for it.

How have others stowed their radio gear? I found I was able to get the two esc's side-by-side into the channel below the battery tray area. This allows me to mount the receiver sideways behind the esc's with plenty of room to clear the moving servos behind this area.