Old Jul 28, 2014, 01:04 PM
StevieT.
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Apr 2011
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.fliegener View Post
Very nice thread!

Here some recent pics of my 2.3m CARF Edge, powered by Hacker Q80.

A video can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrS-R8mJyNA

Cheers,

Sascha
That's one way to do it.
Randino is offline Find More Posts by Randino
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2014, 02:08 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
United States, AL, Tuscaloosa
Joined Nov 2004
1,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC View Post
They are as long as they stay attached to the plane, Harry.
I wish that were still true Chris. 30 years ago or so, I used to launch small model rockets off my wingtips (melted plenty of monocote off the bottom of my wings back then). When I got back into the hobby in 2004 I planned to attach some fireworks and rockets to a plane I bought cheap. When our safety officer heard of my plans he brought me a copy of the AMA Safety Code with a part of it highlighted in yellow that stopped my project in its tracks. Apparently during the years of my absence they added a rule regarding fireworks and rockets. I guess I understand since a few of my aerial launches didn't go as planned... (I cleared the pitt area with one wayward rocket)

Academy of Model Aeronautics National Model Aircraft Safety Code
Effective January 1, 2014
A. GENERAL: A model aircraft is a non-human-carrying aircraft capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere. It may not exceed limitations of this code and is intended exclusively for sport, recreation, education and/or competition. All model flights must be conducted in accordance with this safety code and any additional rules specific to the flying site.
1. Model aircraft will not be flown:
(a) In a careless or reckless manner.
(b) At a location where model aircraft activities are prohibited.
2. Model aircraft pilots will:
(a) Yield the right of way to all human-carrying aircraft.
(b) See and avoid all aircraft and a spotter must be used when appropriate. (AMA Document #540-D.)
(c) Not fly higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator.
(d) Not interfere with operations and traffic patterns at any airport, heliport or seaplane base except where there is a mixed use agreement.
(e) Not exceed a takeoff weight, including fuel, of 55 pounds unless in compliance with the AMA Large Model Airplane program. (AMA Document 520-A.)
(f) Ensure the aircraft is identified with the name and address or AMA number of the owner on the inside or affixed to the outside of the model aircraft. (This does not apply to model aircraft flown indoors.)
(g) Not operate aircraft with metal-blade propellers or with gaseous boosts except for helicopters operated under the provisions of AMA Document #555.
(h) Not operate model aircraft while under the influence of alcohol or while using any drug that could adversely affect the pilot’s ability to safely control the model.
(i) Not operate model aircraft carrying pyrotechnic devices that explode or burn, or any device which propels a projectile or drops any object that creates a hazard to persons or property.
Exceptions:
 Free Flight fuses or devices that burn producing smoke and are securely attached to the model aircraft during flight.
 Rocket motors (using solid propellant) up to a G-series size may be used provided they remain attached to the model during flight. Model rockets may be flown in accordance with the National Model Rocketry Safety Code but may not be launched from model aircraft.
harrymc is offline Find More Posts by harrymc
Old Jul 28, 2014, 02:11 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,543 Posts
Ok, my bad. I read this back when I made the rocket wing, and I forgot that the exception only applied to smoke emitters.
KFC is online now Find More Posts by KFC
Old Jul 28, 2014, 02:25 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
United States, AL, Tuscaloosa
Joined Nov 2004
1,674 Posts
It's cool, That video was awesome though!
harrymc is offline Find More Posts by harrymc
Old Jul 28, 2014, 04:14 PM
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.fliegener View Post
Very nice thread!

Here some recent pics of my 2.3m CARF Edge, powered by Hacker Q80.

A video can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrS-R8mJyNA

Cheers,

Sascha
How did you get the prop lit?
Scooch is offline Find More Posts by Scooch
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:54 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,193 Posts
@Harry~
It might be against AMA policy, but note many lucky Americans such as myself get to fly on private, non-AMA airfields

We LOVE Fireworks & RC
In fact, it goes down pretty damn well with some JAR

Fireworks & Firepower are welcomed by many an enthusiast; even the mainstream
Sons Of Guns Drone (0 min 57 sec)
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:30 PM
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Dec 2012
712 Posts
Here's a been there done that, but it's mine. It's a cheap 450 quad clone frame. Paid $14. All hobby king escs and kk2.1 controller.
Mapoff is offline Find More Posts by Mapoff
Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM
Dark Yet??
United States, VA, Narrows
Joined Dec 2009
1,465 Posts
Mapoff, we are going to Pirate's Night Fly this Saturday. Bring the quad.
Barn-E-Stormer is offline Find More Posts by Barn-E-Stormer
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Dec 2012
712 Posts
What!!!!! Where is this? Jess has to work allllll weekend.

Are you happy with the IR options you picked or are you wanting to try something else? I found a person online who wants to do the same setup. I may use your remote and store all the buttons for use later.
Mapoff is offline Find More Posts by Mapoff
Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,945 Posts
Here is a video from last night.

Night fly 7-14 (4 min 36 sec)
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee