Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 01, 2007, 03:24 PM
Joined Dec 2006
45 Posts
Discussion
Liberty 182 from Black Horse

Hi. I'm a complete newby but thinking about the Liberty 182 as my first plane. I want to go electric, have had some instruction and would fly it under instruction 'till I can solo. In fact my instructor says it looks good. Anyone got one? Any good? Forums seem short of discussion on this one. Thanks for all input
tony lechauve is offline Find More Posts by tony lechauve
Last edited by tony lechauve; Aug 05, 2007 at 08:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2007, 08:25 AM
Fly a LiL' Lower Will Ya!
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Tony,

Sorry no one got back to you on this. Most times on this forum discussions "take off" much quicker. And RCG is a good resource for RC flight.

About the Liberty 182. I have not yet flown the 182, but have flown it's smaller brother, the Liberty EP and I would have to say if the 182 is anything like the EP it is just a brilliant model.

The EP flys beautifully. Handles wind super well. Floats forever with the power off and lands like a cloud: super smooth and gentle. I think it makes and excellent trainer and have suggested it to a few guys who have tried it and agree. The only thing I did not like about it was the roll rate, but may have been the way the guy had the ailerons set up.

That said, if the 182 has those characteristics, I think it would be great. And I think with the larger wing span, extra wing area and slightly more weight, this would make it all the more trainer like. It should be more wind stable and very nice to fly. In fact, I have been debating buying one for the past few days and think I may take the plunge. I have all the electronics I would need, just need the plane. And while I really dont "Need" a trainer, I like it and would want one for my hanger for several reasons:

1. I like to electrify large models on a budget. I could get this plane in the air with a cheap $25 motor and $40 ESC on 2 3s 2100 lipo batteries. Then all the guys at the field say "WOW, that is a big Electric" - So WOW! factor is nice.

2. It would be a relaxing break from 3D and Acro / Pattern flight

3. I do not have a plane with a nose wheel. 14 tail draggers and hand launch jobs.

4. I love to do Touch and Goes and this plane looks beautiful doing them.

5. I like "gliding" but do not like Gliders. I have a 2 meter sail plane, but do not like it much. I like being able to shut down the power. float around, land on my target, and take off again. Gliders are "once and done" things.

If you have not gotten it, I would say go for it.

Mike
mrm1 is offline Find More Posts by mrm1
Old Oct 28, 2007, 11:50 AM
Joined Dec 2006
45 Posts
Thanks Mike. So far I am still thinking about it- though I have since bought an ic Irvine for training and a Twinstar II for fun. The 182 is still quite possible so keep me in touch if you gain experience- no-one seemed to have any.
Tony
Old Oct 28, 2007, 06:21 PM
Baptised Heathen
Bundaberg, Qld, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
1,365 Posts
I had a Black Horse Excel 2000 Trainer for a number of years and it was very strong though a little on the heavy side. Only reason I no longer have it is because the packers destroyed it during our last move. I have never heard anything bad about Black Horse planes.
batman is offline Find More Posts by batman
Old Oct 28, 2007, 06:42 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
I am going to spring for one tonight and do a build thread on it. I think it will be a nice plane.

The last 3 times out to the field it has been a little windy straight down the run way, and all I wanted to do was fly this guy's Liberty EP. It is is such a fun fly in the wind just floating it down and doing T-n-G's

So taking the approach that "Bigger is Better" the 182 should be really fun to fly in those conditions or when ever I Want a relax fly.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 08:45 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Oh darn, the do not accept web orders. Well I will get one when the open in the AM.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 11:18 AM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
OK, got the 182 ordered. Kind of a Creepy ordering system, but hopefully I will get it by the end of the week. No big hurry as I cannot fly this weekend and we are socked in with bad weather right now.

Hope to have it soon and will start a build / fly thread. Will post a link here.
Old Nov 02, 2007, 09:54 AM
Joined Dec 2006
45 Posts
Looks good Mike. I look forward to seeing your build / fly thread

Tony
Old Nov 07, 2007, 12:58 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony lechauve
Looks good Mike. I look forward to seeing your build / fly thread

Tony
OK Tony Started the Review Today:

The Liberty 182 Trainer

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768732
Old Nov 18, 2007, 04:59 PM
Joined Dec 2006
45 Posts
Wow! You really got this show going Mike. Thanks for all the effort, useful threads and very good video.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 07:33 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Thanks Tony. feel free to join in on the discussion at the other thread if you ever get one or have any questions about the Liberty.

Mike