HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2014, 11:48 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Mar 2013
507 Posts
Build Log
BAH Nemesis Build Log - "America Eff YEA"

BAH Nemesis Build Log - Call Sign: 'America Eff YEA'
Changed the call sign of this rig to something more fitting for those confused about the name change.

Hey guys, welcome to another of my build logs. Over the next few days I'll be updating this thread chronicling a new mini build based on the new carbon fiber Nemesis frame designed by Rob & Rob at Bay Area Heli. Basically, I will be swapping the parts from the previous BAH V2.1 build, call sign "Storm Trooper", and slapping them onto this rig with a new color scheme.

Parts:
Frame: Nemesis; designed by BayAreaHeli
Motors: Sunnysky X2204 2300KV
ESC's: B-12A Ice Blue Series RapidESC
FC: Flip1.5
Props: HQ 6030 & HQ 6045's (Plastic/glass mix)
Batteries: Turnigy NanoTech 3S, 45-70C
Flight Cam: 700TVL Board Camera
Video TX: 200MW 5.8Ghz TS351 Video TX
Antennas: Cloverleaf Antennae & 5 Turn Helical (9.5dBi)
Receiver: FrSky D8R-II Plus flashed with D8R-II XP firmware for CPPM

I hope this will be a solid log with loads of good information for both veterans and noobies of the hobby. The frame comes in tomorrow morning at which point I will be updating the thread with goodies.

Stay tuned & thanks for reading!

Frame

Let me start by saying this frame is a work-of-art. Every piece, cut, and hole is well thought out and serve a purpose. Rob^2 didn't waste a single inch of this frame with useless branding or silly designs, it is truly a mecha of utility.

What features make this stand-out from the crowd you ask? How about extendable 3mm thick CF arms to fit 6" props for some serious thrust capabilites? A rear bulkhead for mounting both a UHF receiver and/or a Vtx. A removable front plate for carrying a GoPro. Clean and dirty section for super clean builds with isolating bobbins for smooth video and flight control. Folding arms for compact storage. It's truly a marvelous feat of engineering that I fully recommend for your next mini build or upgrade.

The only thing I would would have liked are aluminum standoffs and hardware. The usual argument for this is "there needs to be a point of failure." But, on a 500g AUW quad I'm inclined to disagree from personal experience. This is a very minor issue, just make sure and snag some extra hardware (preferably aluminum) if you are going to be racing through the trees.

Cable Sleeving

My signature feature of all my multirotor builds is the addition of parachord sleeving to the majority of the wiring. The sleeving for the whole build weighs in at ~10 grams. Well worth the weight gains for the added protection and sexiness.

Build Process

I decided not to utilize the rear backplate to mount the Vtx because my receiver is fairly large and I prefer to have the Vtx connector a bit more protected. Strapped the Vtx to the bottom of the top plate, ran a coax extension and ran it through a hole at the rear of the plate.

Motors mounted, soldered 18AWG extensions that were too long just so I could measure and cut as needed. No bullet connectors, they are just another point of failure and unnecessary.

Missed getting a pic of it all soldered up, there is a 36mm basic power distro board mounted in the center that fits beautifully, pretty straight forward setup.

Due to how the frame is cut a 36mm flight control can be mounted without standoffs making for a very clean, low profile setup.

Receiver mounted in the rear, ran the antennas up through a couple of holes and glued them into coffee straws to ensure proper polarity. 700TVL board camera mounts on the backside of the camera plate using 4 nylon standoffs.

10 Battery Final Review

After putting quite a few batteries through this quad the only thing left to say is "wow!" For hobby FPV'ers there really isn't anything that's going to rival this rig for pure enjoyment. With 6" props this thing becomes an absolute monster and will please the most seasoned of pilots. Had a couple of spills in some grass and the arms folded up a bit absorbing the impact incurring absolutely no damage. Simply an outstanding experience.

For those new to the hobby, or those without much time and looking to do a custom build please don't hesitate to PM me. I'm always looking for ways to help out the community. I also offer 'professional' shots of your rig to show off to friends

Thanks for reading,

-Justin
ezikiel12 is online now Find More Posts by ezikiel12
Last edited by ezikiel12; Jul 09, 2014 at 02:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2014, 02:38 AM
Joined Mar 2013
507 Posts
BAH Nemesis Compilation (6 min 6 sec)
Last edited by ezikiel12; Jul 26, 2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2014, 06:39 PM
Brunei
Joined May 2014
119 Posts
Sub~
PokkaGold is online now Find More Posts by PokkaGold
Old Jul 07, 2014, 09:02 PM
Dirty Side Down.......o~^o
United States, MD, Sharpsburg
Joined Mar 2014
697 Posts
Does the blue make it faster?
What hue of blue?
I think the color blue creates less wind resistance... is that true?
Will making mine blue make my dog come home? Girlfriend stop cheating? Stop me drinking? Keep my best from from sleeping with my girlfriend? Fix my broken truck? Make the corn grow faster? Fish bite without bait?

...or is that only when you play country music backwards?

Do you have a pantone matching system number for that paracord color? You realize that it will clash with the supplied aluminum hardware thus causing a rip in the space/time continuum and making those Sunny Sky motors squeal like Justin Beiber with his stones in a vice while trying to perform an arias from The Jewel Song in Faust?

Personally, I would have consulted a gris-gris man before attempting such a bold choice of tonal blends.
Hiway is offline Find More Posts by Hiway
Old Jul 07, 2014, 11:57 PM
Joined Mar 2013
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiway View Post
Does the blue make it faster?
What hue of blue?
I think the color blue creates less wind resistance... is that true?
Will making mine blue make my dog come home? Girlfriend stop cheating? Stop me drinking? Keep my best from from sleeping with my girlfriend? Fix my broken truck? Make the corn grow faster? Fish bite without bait?

...or is that only when you play country music backwards?

Do you have a pantone matching system number for that paracord color? You realize that it will clash with the supplied aluminum hardware thus causing a rip in the space/time continuum and making those Sunny Sky motors squeal like Justin Beiber with his stones in a vice while trying to perform an arias from The Jewel Song in Faust?

Personally, I would have consulted a gris-gris man before attempting such a bold choice of tonal blends.
You're ridiculous man lolol. Sorry I changed the call-sign of this build so now your comment makes no sense to newcomers
Old Jul 08, 2014, 10:24 AM
Benign Forecast
Colorado
Joined Dec 2009
329 Posts
Gorgeous build!
b94cast is online now Find More Posts by b94cast
Old Jul 08, 2014, 10:53 AM
Joined Mar 2014
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezikiel12 View Post
...Sorry I changed the call-sign of this build so now your comment makes no sense to newcomers
First... you are not sorry. Stop your bs'ing

Second... as for newcomers not making sense of my post- what makes you think anyone ever made sense of any of my posts? You are just being fallacious now.

Third... you didn't answer any of my questions; what kind of build log is this anyway? Self gratuitous digital eye candy masturbation?
Old Jul 08, 2014, 11:34 AM
Joe559's Daddy
United States, CA
Joined Mar 2013
1,937 Posts
America F*%# YEA I love it

Im afraid to post on rcg, because every time I do I get stalked
bayareaheli is offline Find More Posts by bayareaheli
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2014, 12:39 PM
Joined Mar 2014
697 Posts
You are so popular Bay... a real feckin rockstar now

Can I get your autograph on my next frame? Gonna make a museum piece and fly it through the Smithsonian.
Old Jul 08, 2014, 03:05 PM
Coaxial to CP? *shrugs*
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Nov 2011
896 Posts
Absolutely stellar! I'm green with envy. Subscribed.

-Shane
ShaneXman is online now Find More Posts by ShaneXman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2014, 03:15 PM
Joined Mar 2013
507 Posts
Thanks dudes. Bay, Looks like it's time to update your avatar to the new hotness.

Men in Black II - Old Busted Hotness (0 min 35 sec)
Old Jul 08, 2014, 04:20 PM
FPV Addict
United States, TX, Forney
Joined May 2013
1,234 Posts
Quote:
BAH Nemesis Build Log - Call Sign: 'America F*%# YEA'

Due to how the frame is cut a 36mm flight control can be mounted without standoffs making for a very clean, low profile setup.

Can you explain what you mean by this? You lost me. . . lol
starvinmrvn is offline Find More Posts by starvinmrvn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying 2-23-14
Old Jul 08, 2014, 05:14 PM
Joined Mar 2013
507 Posts
Can't mount an FC and have it touching carbon fiber. Usually standoffs would be required, but this frame is cut such that a 36mm FC can mount flush without dangers of shorting. It makes for a nice look IMO
Old Jul 08, 2014, 05:16 PM
Joe559's Daddy
United States, CA
Joined Mar 2013
1,937 Posts
Quote:
Thanks dudes. Bay, Looks like it's time to update your avatar to the new hotness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha-uagjJQ9k&feature=kp
Haha check my new avatar love the pic
bayareaheli is offline Find More Posts by bayareaheli
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2014, 05:25 PM
Joined Mar 2013
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareaheli View Post
Haha check my new avatar love the pic
Oh hell ya! Love the new hotness brother!