HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2014, 09:47 PM
Trees Are Stupid
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2013
3,930 Posts
Help!
Trying to build this Tristania/Tech one

It's called a HK Tristania but its sold under other brands.

I got the airframe built by watching a youtube video, but the 3 part series left me high and dry when it didn't show the power system assembly. The HK directions are a joke and this is my first build like this.

I have 2 sets of servos...a pair of 9 gram and a pair of 5 gram. Don't know which is for the ailerons and which is the rudder and elevator.

Also, so far I found the esc and motor don't have any connectors whatsoever and there seems to be none in the kit. Is this something that should be there attached or at least included? OR is this normal HK B.S. and everybody that gets one has to buy these things?

Until i get the connectors, I can't hook up the servo's to center them so I can't put the control arms on them...can't mount them...etc...

So far this assembly has been a much bigger P.I.T.A. than the biggest, most complex scale foam warbirds I have ever assembled....which is 13 so far.

Any help or advice appreciated.
BeavisUSMC is offline Find More Posts by BeavisUSMC
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2014, 01:57 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,666 Posts
That's par for the course with almost all profile foamies, irrespective of the price. They require a construction skillset which belies their apparent simplicity. All you really get is some flat foam cut out to resemble a plane. Pretty much everything from there requires initiative and personal interpretation.

I don't own a Tristania, but I'll try to answer your questions based on similar planes...

The two 5g servos are meant for the rudder and elevator. 6g would be nicer at that size, but 5g will do.

A single 9g servo usually drives both ailerons (double-ended servo horn). I don't know why they threw in two 9g servos, unless one is a spare. In some configurations each aileron gets its own servo, but 2 x 9g would be too heavy for this size - a single 6g servo on each aileron would suffice.

The motor can be soldered directly to the ESC. Cut the heatshrink off, unsolder the ESC's own motor wires (no longer needed), attach the motor's wires in a temporary fashion to gauge the direction of rotation (unless the ESC is reversible in its firmware), and then solder the motor's wires directly to the ESC pads. You'll save a few grams that way and every gram counts with these planes.

The alternative is to get some 2mm bullet connectors, and solder those in-line between the motor and ESC. Not really needed.

The wheels are pointless extra weight unless you're flying indoors and need something to keep the prop off the hard floor (and walls ). Over grass, just cut the throttle and belly land.

Good luck with it.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Apr 06, 2014, 11:40 AM
Trees Are Stupid
Joined Sep 2013
3,930 Posts
Why does everyone want to cut weight so badly? My friend has an older one. The foam is twice as thick and the plane weighs twice as much, with the same wing area/size as mine. It flies really well. I will be flying it outdoors all the time.
Old Apr 06, 2014, 12:42 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Joined Jan 2011
2,666 Posts
Everyone? No. However, many people enjoy that floaty slow-motion feel which is unique to profile foamies, and the lighter the plane the lower its stall speed. Less weight also means faster reactions. Force equals mass times acceleration, so the less mass the more the plane accelerates for any given application of force.

Weight reduction is also an interesting hobby goal in its own right, for some. It is relatively easy to pick appropriately light gear and thus end up with a plane which is as light as it gets in stock form. Beyond that, it takes exponentially more skill and craftsmanship to shave off every subsequent gram. Shortening wires, eliminating connectors by direct a soldering, the sparing use of glue... Heft is the enemy of agility and performance.
Old Apr 06, 2014, 05:11 PM
Trees Are Stupid
Joined Sep 2013
3,930 Posts
Ah, I see. Well, I'm a flat footed beginner and this plane is supposed to serve 2 purposes. Teach me 3D so I can start flying my CZ Yak 54, and be something fun to throw in the air when packing up everything to drive out to a field is not convenient.

I thought maybe the weight reduction was to mitigate the affects of a crash, should one happen. But as the law of diminishing returns is a blade that cuts both ways, the lightest winds will keep you out of the sky and enjoying it if you are too light.
Old Apr 06, 2014, 06:04 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
The two 5g servos are meant for the rudder and elevator. 6g would be nicer at that size, but 5g will do.
The Tristiana uses two aileron servos. The two 5g should be used on the ailerons and the 9g on the rudder and elevator.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Apr 06, 2014, 06:12 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Joined Jan 2011
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
The Tristiana uses two aileron servos. The two 5g should be used on the ailerons and the 9g on the rudder and elevator.

Azarr
Thanks. I should have read the blurb on HK more closely. The tail surfaces don't look all that large.
Old Apr 06, 2014, 06:12 PM
Trees Are Stupid
Joined Sep 2013
3,930 Posts
Ok, thank you. I will need some Mini T or PST or something for the battery hookup. Get those tomorrow since the kid at Radio Shack swore over the phone they didn't have any connectors like that.

Probably need to hook up all the power system, bind and center the servos so the servo arms can be attached in their proper positions so I can finish this plane. I could go ahead and solder the motor to the esc tonight.
Old Apr 06, 2014, 09:15 PM
Trees Are Stupid
Joined Sep 2013
3,930 Posts
Can someone please help me identify this type of connector so I know what to ask for at the LHS. These are the batteries I will be using so all I need is the mate to this to be able to plug into my esc.

Otherwise I will need to cut off all the battery connectors and find micro deans and solder all new ones on.

What I'm looking for is the mate to the red 2 wire connector...of course. Thanks

Name: 389.jpg
Views: 6
Size: 47.4 KB
Description:

Name: 390.jpg
Views: 4
Size: 85.6 KB
Description:
Old Apr 06, 2014, 10:42 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Joined Jan 2011
2,666 Posts
It's called a JST connector:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_bag_.html

Note that HK has the male/female designation round the wrong way. It's the metal conductors that determine gender, not the plastic shroud. Hence, the battery end has the female (metal socket) connector, and the male (pins) goes on the ESC.
Old Apr 06, 2014, 11:01 PM
Trees Are Stupid
Joined Sep 2013
3,930 Posts
Okay...this type looks like it should be common enough to find at a local hobby shop or a Radio Shack. Would certainly save me some trouble if I could find it.

Thanks. BTW, I'm rebelling against society too. Takes a real man to avoid a tattoo.
Old Apr 08, 2014, 07:06 AM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Thanks. I should have read the blurb on HK more closely. The tail surfaces don't look all that large.
IMHO, it's not so much about their size, but more about likelihood of damage (hangar rash and encounters with the ground), as well as frequency of use? In flight, generally the ailerons just get a quick blip and the stick is returned to center. Consider an elevator during a harrier, or rudder in knife edge? They're expected to hold a load for quite a while on occasion.

Rudder is almost always the heaviest servo, or the one with the most amperage requirements, on any aerobatic plane, right on up into the largest ones.

Have patience Beavis. We all had to learn this at some point. Most of us don't mind sharing to make that experience as painless as possible. All you have to do is ask!
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Apr 08, 2014, 07:18 AM
Trees Are Stupid
Joined Sep 2013
3,930 Posts
Okay, got the whole power system bench built, bound and tested. Servo arms installed and installed on plane. The cf rods according to directions attach to the tiny metal rods with heat shrink. No adjustment once this is done..

I'm hoping to be flying this weekend. Oh I forgot to tell you...ended up switching everything over to micro deans. Also need more Velcro than the kit provided.
Old Apr 08, 2014, 07:20 AM
Trees Are Stupid
Joined Sep 2013
3,930 Posts
Should I mount the battery somewhere other than the square hole they cut in the fuse to keep that area from weakening??
Old Apr 08, 2014, 07:51 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Joined Jan 2011
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
IMHO, it's not so much about their size, but more about likelihood of damage (hangar rash and encounters with the ground), as well as frequency of use? In flight, generally the ailerons just get a quick blip and the stick is returned to center. Consider an elevator during a harrier, or rudder in knife edge? They're expected to hold a load for quite a while on occasion.
Even the mighty Crack Yak makes do with 6g servos for the tail, and its control surfaces are seemingly larger, despite the marginally smaller wingspan.

Hence, my gut feeling is that the specified 9g servos are overkill for the rudder and elevator on the Tristania, though as I said I don't own one and I'm extrapolating from similar planes. Some of the construction details remind me of a Piaget, so I'm guessing it's a rebadged TechOne plane (?). The Piaget also commonly sports 5 or 6g servos for the tail.

Of course, I wouldn't suggest that level of experimentation with somebody's first profile foamy. If the manufacturer supplies 9g servos, that's the safe option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Rudder is almost always the heaviest servo, or the one with the most amperage requirements, on any aerobatic plane, right on up into the largest ones.
Unless both ailerons are driven by a single big servo, which is again the most common configuration for ~800mm profile foamies.