Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 05, 2014, 05:37 PM
Joined Mar 2014
4 Posts
Question
Will these parts work? (Noob Question)

Hello everyone, I am new to RCGroups and I am also new to RC planes. I have never flown an RC plane but I have flown an electric RC helicopter. I have been doing some research into gasoline RC planes and I have come up with the following parts.

Also, I am 23 years old and I have experience flying real airplanes so I think I can handle a 6 channel transmitter. My question is, are the following parts compatible with each other? Is there anything else that is recommended other than what I have?

I'm trying not to go over $400 for my first RC airplane. Also, i'm not sure what the difference is between the two transmitters other than the color??

Hobby King 2.4Ghz 6Ch Tx & Rx V2 (Mode 2)
$25.07
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idproduct=9042

HobbyKing HK6S 2.4Ghz FHSS 6Ch Tx & Rx (Mode 2)
$30.29
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dproduct=16239

TURNIGY 3A UBEC w/ Noise Reduction
$4.76
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idproduct=4319

Battery Monitor 2-6S
$2.11
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idproduct=6589

Turnigy 1800mAh 2S 12C Lipo Receiver Pack (US Warehouse)
$9.54
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dproduct=44576

HK15138 Standard Analog Servo 38g / 4.3kg / 0.17s
$3.36
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dproduct=16269

NGH GT9 9cc Gas Engine With Rcexl CDI Ignition
$127.99
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dproduct=28238

Discovery (Blue) Balsa Hi-Wing Trainer Glow/EP 1620mm (ARF)
$73.64
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dproduct=35923

Sorry for having so much stuff. I am just really exited to be starting this hobby and I want to make sure I have all the right equipment from the start.

Thank you!!
Firestorm2999 is offline Find More Posts by Firestorm2999
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2014, 06:53 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,824 Posts
First order of business is... WELCOME

I know you are excited about the hobby and that is good, but, Don't get so excited that you get ahead of yourself. I would seek out a local club and talk to some of the members. They have years of experience that will save you time and money. Somebody may even have a used setup they are willing to sell. Or several members may have the the bits and pieces you need to get started. In any case a club should be your first stop. If you could tell us where you are from somebody here on RCG may have the info you need.

Don't be afraid to visit your local hobby shop (LHS). There you can browse and put your grubby fingers on the merchandise to get a feel for what you are buying. I like my LHS and try to support them as much as possible. It sure is nice to run down to the shop and pickup a part you need

Please seriously consider joining the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics). it is WELL worth the money. http://www.modelaircraft.org/ They have a club locator to help with that job also. http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

On to your choice of hardware. My personal choice is to purchase a radio setup from one of the major MFG's. Some in no paticular order are Futaba, JR, Airtronics, Hitec, Spectrum. There are more, just do a google search. I've owned all five of those mentioned. Never had an issue with any of them that wasn't my own fault.

Electric aircraft are becoming very popular. I'm not much of an electric guy but do own a couple so I can't make much recommendation for you there.

Glow is popular around my neck of the woods and is what I cut my teeth on. The engines are very reliable but take a bit of getting used to.

The GT9 has had some "issues" if I remember correctly. It is very "fiddiley". Someone here may chime in on that one. Look in the engine section and do a search. I'm sure there is a thread on that engine.

With the above said, keep on asking questions. We are here to help you get started in the right way.

Best of luck in your new venture. OH, now would be a good time to close your checking account and destroy all your credit cards. This hobby is VERY addicting!

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Mar 05, 2014, 08:15 PM
Joined Mar 2014
4 Posts
Thank you for the quick reply and the warm welcome Ken. I appreciate all the information you gave me and I just looked at the website to find some clubs. I live in Spartanburg, SC and I found 5 clubs around this area. I did not even know there were any clubs here.

As far as the LHS are concerned, I am currently in College so next week is Spring Break. On that week, I will go visit some in Greenville, SC and in Georgia.

I have looked at the Spektrum radios. My question is, what would be the difference in range and reliability on a name brand vs. a generic transmitter?

On electric, I'm not interested in those mostly because of the flight time being around 10-20 minutes. I would love to fly for longer than an hour. Or at least not worry about running out of a charge.

If the GT9 is very "fiddiley", what would you recommend? I know that when I looked at the reviews that they were mixed.
I'm trying to stay with gasoline since it is cheap compared to glow fuel and more easily accessible in my area.

Some other questions I have in mind:
1. What connections are considered "standard" when building RC planes? For example, when I plug a battery into the UBEC. Are they standard connections or based on the MFG?
2. If I want a gasoline RC plane then all I need is the motor, fuel tank, fuel lines, prop, UBEC regulator, RX battery, RX on/off switch, receiver, transmitter, and the servos. Anything that I am missing?

Thanks!!
Kevin
Old Mar 05, 2014, 10:33 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,265 Posts
ah yes, welcome too the madness!

run fast, run far, don't stop till you hear a different language!

as for named brand V's econo, I have flown my 50cc Extra with a Flysky ct9, which is the same tech. as that turnagy radio, with no problems!
so do not be run off by the name brand guys! (yes I have Futaba for some of my planes)

I like Life batterys for my receiver batteries,(no bec nessesary) if your just starting out, you will need a proper charger anyway!

you did not say where you are from, (in the USA?) if so, shipping for planes can get expensive from the international warehouse!

like most things, quality is directly related too cost! there is nothing wrong with wanting too go cheap, but keep in mind it is a "crapshoot" the odds are not in your favor, the more stuff you buy, nigh priced name brands fail also, just not as often, and usually have some sort of warranty!

wanting too start off with gas, is fine, I cannot speak on or about that 9cc from HK, but I do know there is a big following in the engine forum! might want too do some reading there!

good luck!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: heli's
Old Mar 06, 2014, 05:59 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,171 Posts
madness.... wheres madness??

Everything they said.. couldn't say it better.. do be aware full-scale experience doesn't equate to RC experience. Principles of flight are obviously the same, and you're definately ahead of the game already.. but there are things that one should develop to give better insurance on your investments and safety..

The biggest hurdle is simple muscle memory... even though we know how the plane flies in our mind, it takes some muscle memory work to get things where they need to be in any given situation. If you've watched experienced flyers, they make it look easy.. and guess what?.. it is.. but the key word is experience.. and no matter what happens and what you do, you'll get some.. and I'm only mentioning this because we all want your experience to be a good one.. without time to develop and teach the fingers what your head already knows.. it might not be so good...

I'm not trying to discourage you in any way.. quite the contrary.. keep reading, studying and talking to others and you'll do fine.. the best advice the other guys gave about finding a club is probably the best advice you can get.. I just wanted to throw this out there though... I'm probabaly preaching to the choir, as with full-scale experience I can imagine after writing all this you've figured it all out quite a while ago... I don't think you jumped into a full scale plane without instruction.. nor do I think you'd fly RC without it.. at least for a little bit.. They are 2 different worlds with everything in common except for a few things.. the few things matter a whole lot though... Welcome to the madness.. its a great hobby.. its kept me out of trouble for years(put me in some too, but I can live with that. )

Have a nice evening.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Mar 06, 2014, 06:31 PM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,247 Posts
Lots if good advice above.

Full scale pilots can sometimes find they were a bit overconfident when starting out in rc. Two things seem to cause a problem are orientation-- for example giving a roll command in the wrong direction when the plane is coming towards you; and over controlling- many models have much greater control authority than full size planes, and their roll rate, for example, is way faster as a result of their size.

I would also suggest getting a brand name transmitter. Recievers are more available, and people at the club could likely help you with programming. Specktrum also offers a range of Bind and Fly planes that can be fun, too.

Electric wise, flight times are shorter, but the Apprentice can go 25+ if you are just shooting gentile touch and gos (run an alarm). A couple extra battery packs and a field charger and you can get in lots of flying.

Not that there is anything wrong with going fuel. Again, though, a brand with a reputation for running well right out of the boxight be a good idea, as opposed to a cheap one that an experienced tuner can get to run reliably with some fiddling.

Welcome to the forum.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Mar 06, 2014, 07:50 PM
Joined Mar 2014
4 Posts
Thanks for all the advice guys!! I can't wait to start flying. First thing I will do is go visit the clubs and my local hobby shops next week.

Like Jeffin said, the biggest challenge will be the orientation problem. It's not like I will be inside the plane and always have the same orientation.

I will look into the name brand transmitters and look at some more reviews and compare them.

Once I get all the parts together I will do some touch and go landings. Once I can get a hang of the touch and go I will take off to the air and do some gentle turns leading to a figure eight.

Thanks Guys!!
Old Mar 06, 2014, 08:07 PM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,247 Posts
If a simulator can fit into your budget, that can get the thumbs working in muscle memory and help with orientation.

Before you attempt a landing I'd get up to a safe altitude and do some laps around the field, some figure 8's, and maybe even a stall and recovery.

On a maiden I have to overcome my urge to land quickly, and remind myself to get familiar with how the plane handles, what it's stall speed is, and how it warns you when it is about to stall before shooting an approach.

There is really no substitute for in-person help from someone experienced in rc flying, so do make contacts with local clubs or fields. Not a bad idea to have someone check out your plane, and maybe test fly and get it trimmed for you, too.

Post back with your progress, and have fun.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Mar 06, 2014, 09:54 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,824 Posts
This should keep you busy for an hour or two. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1784169 This engine seems to be very good. There were a couple of hiccups in the beginning but were taken care of in a timely manner by Horizon. I can't say that I've heard anything bad about this engine. Well I take that back, I guess the muffler can be an issue. It seems the correct solution to the problem is to make sure to check and/or tighten the bolts after every flight for the first few flights, After that it seems the muffler takes a "set" and then all is good.

Ken.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2014, 11:08 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,471 Posts
All that stuff you mentioned is a bunch of junk. IMO. Save yourself some money, buy a ready to fly trainer on Craigslist radio and all for no more than $150. Get someone at the local flying field to help you find something that's a good buy, and not a headache. Stay away from Lipo batteries for Receiver. Life batteries are the latest and greatest. Lipos are great for electric but that's it.
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Mar 07, 2014, 01:26 AM
Dana, Indiana
Joined Jan 2007
557 Posts
What area are you located? Clubs/ LHS in area?
Maybe a member of a local club in your area on here that can help out
whitewolf is offline Find More Posts by whitewolf
Old Mar 09, 2014, 01:58 PM
Joined Mar 2014
4 Posts
Whitewolf, I am located in the Southeast United States in Spartanburg, South Carolina.

I found a local hobby shop in the Greenville area which is the town next to Spartanburg. The guy told me that he price matches with websites and that he offers the same equipment that HorizonHobby and TowerHobby offers. I am going to his location to look at the RC Trainer Planes and all the parts for it.

As far as the engine is concerned, I think I will go with the Evolution 10CC. Looks great so far and everyone keeps commenting how reliable it is.
Old Mar 09, 2014, 05:37 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,824 Posts
Now your talking Firestorm! This will be the best, but maybe not the cheapest, decision you've made. IMO a little extra up front will save in the end. Besides you will have a ready supply of help and information.

Ken
RCG Plus Member