HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:54 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddguy6 View Post
D66, based on your flight reports on the Ultra, 2013 will indeed be a very Happy New Year!
Be well.
I was just delighted with how the Ultra flew today.

On the first flight a couple of days ago I was preoccupied with making sure the Ultra survived! I didn't really think much about how nicely if flew, but rather getting used to it and deciding what adjustments were needed.

Today, everything was just right and I could focus on flying. I was even more impressed with the Ultra than when I first flew the XL nearly two years ago.

I think it's not only nicely responsive and smooth but also very easy to fly. But I'll hold back a bit on that point until I've had some other people try it. I know from previous models that experienced pilots are often poor judges of how easy a model is for beginners. I thought the Mini, the Polaris, and the XL were all easy to fly, but trying them out on my students I discovered that most thought the XL was much easier and the Mini more difficult than Polaris.My sense of the Ultra is that in terms of flying ease it's about where it's size suggests -- between Polaris and XL, or maybe even closer to XL. I'll be interested to hear other reactions.

Anyway, as you say, it looks like a happy Polaris new year.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:29 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Great video again Daedalus, looked great there with the snow falling and looked like it is everything we expected it to be. Your camera lady did a great job too, thanks for braving the conditions for us and a happy new year to you and yours.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:09 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,297 Posts
Nice to see how well the color scheme works on a grey sky. I flew my kit Polaris in the Coast Guard scheme and it was almost invisible from the bottom. I think I'll add the black stripes like on the Ultra.
Petefoss is offline Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:49 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petefoss View Post
Nice to see how well the color scheme works on a grey sky. I flew my kit Polaris in the Coast Guard scheme and it was almost invisible from the bottom. I think I'll add the black stripes like on the Ultra.
Black stripes against the white are the most visible thing going. Black 2" packaging tape works well, or acrylic paint.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:54 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
2,602 Posts
Great report and nice video D66, thanks for sharing .. I am envious of you guys.

Suppo 2810-9 ... What would be the equivalent of this motor from HK Nigel?

Lockey
Lockey is offline Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mig-15
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:03 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,655 Posts
Thanks for posting the video D66. It really shows the great flight performance of the Polaris Ultra. The light snowfall was perfect and the camera work was very good.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:24 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey View Post
Great report and nice video D66, thanks for sharing .. I am envious of you guys.

Suppo 2810-9 ... What would be the equivalent of this motor from HK Nigel?

Lockey
This is the best I know of from HK for this purpose:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

I had one for a while on the late lamented XL and it had just about the same performance as the Suppo 2810-9. It's of high quality, unlike some of the HK motors, which tend to suffer early wear-out of the bearings. It's not, however, a cheap alternative.

My advice to anyone buying the Ultra is to go with the standard Suppo, as it fits perfectly, works well and can be shipped with the model, thus avoiding extra charges. But if you need an alternative source, this works well.

Re envy: Snow flying is wonderful when the snow is in good shape (not covered in ice or mushy) and when the weather is right (around 0C or a few degrees lower, with some sunshine and no wind). Unfortunately, that only seems to happen about three times a winter. Today, for example, it's bright and sunny but the wind chill is -22C (around 7 below F).

Happy new year.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:14 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
2,602 Posts
Quote:
Re envy: Snow flying is wonderful when the snow is in good shape (not covered in ice or mushy) and when the weather is right (around 0C or a few degrees lower, with some sunshine and no wind). Unfortunately, that only seems to happen about three times a winter. Today, for example, it's bright and sunny but the wind chill is -22C (around 7 below F).
Not necessarily the snow or the weather I am envious about Nigel, itís the Ö not being able to get a Polaris Ultra without paying an arm and a leg for shipping

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:19 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,042 Posts
Quote:
Not necessarily the snow or the weather I am envious about Nigel, it’s the … not being able to get a Polaris Ultra without paying an arm and a leg for shipping

Lockey
I thought you'd have had a Kevlar version at least on the drawing board by now!
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:20 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,592 Posts
Nice video, D66. Thanks for sharing! The Ultra looks very smooth in the air.
jetset44 is online now Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:17 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
2,602 Posts
Quote:
I thought you'd have had a Kevlar version at least on the drawing board by now!
Funny you should say that Nigel .. 1m wingspan, can be made either as Polaris or Polar-Cat I have used the (slightly modified) nacelle off the Seawind

Just going to have the plans printed today and maybe have a go at building this next week or so

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:26 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,042 Posts
Quote:
Funny you should say that Nigel .. 1m wingspan, can be made either as Polaris or Polar-Cat I have used the (slightly modified) nacelle off the Seawind

Just going to have the plans printed today and maybe have a go at building this next week or so

Lockey
Looks great Tony. I had been thinking that an XL size AquaCat would be an interesting project some time.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:29 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
I got my Ultra yesterday. Whew, what a big box. Well packaged and arrived in perfect shape. The fuse is even bigger than I thought it would be from looking at the pictures.

All of the parts fit together perfectly. I know it has been addressed but the
motor wiring sure looks tiny. The only thing missing from the kit was
the longer screws for the rudder control horn . I had two long screws which were used on the elevator and six short screws. Four of those were used on the ailerons but the other two were too short to fit the rudder. It was no big deal but it is disappointing when the cheapest thing in the kit is either left out or the wrong piece and I have to scrounge around to find something that will work.

Everything else in the kit is superb. It looks like RC Lander was commissioned to make the kit and in my opinion they make the best foam models available. I have three of their EDF jets. I can't wait to get this finished, even though we have about 18 inches of snow right now and I am not really a cold weather pilot.

Thanks Aero Model for giving us a great ARF of a great model, the Polaris.

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:12 PM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,183 Posts
My build is going slow. Just got in a MAS 8x6 3Blade and tested it out on a motor I already had, MicroDan 2510-1300. Bench tests showed 30 amps (300 watts) on 3S and 39 amps (570 watts) on 4S. Those numpers should be fine with proper cooling so I'm thinking about adding an air exhaust vent to the cowl.

I am surrounded by salt water so my goal is to make my Ultra salt water tollerant. That would mean some stainless hardware so that's next on my list!

keep posting videos, that keeeps me motivated!
gatorb8 is offline Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:23 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdearth View Post
I got my Ultra yesterday. Whew, what a big box. Well packaged and arrived in perfect shape. The fuse is even bigger than I thought it would be from looking at the pictures.

All of the parts fit together perfectly. I know it has been addressed but the
motor wiring sure looks tiny. The only thing missing from the kit was
the longer screws for the rudder control horn . I had two long screws which were used on the elevator and six short screws. Four of those were used on the ailerons but the other two were too short to fit the rudder. It was no big deal but it is disappointing when the cheapest thing in the kit is either left out or the wrong piece and I have to scrounge around to find something that will work.

Everything else in the kit is superb. It looks like RC Lander was commissioned to make the kit and in my opinion they make the best foam models available. I have three of their EDF jets. I can't wait to get this finished, even though we have about 18 inches of snow right now and I am not really a cold weather pilot.

Thanks Aero Model for giving us a great ARF of a great model, the Polaris.

Tim
Tim,

I'm glad you like the kit. Regarding the hardware, there should have been one horn in a bag with long screws for the rudder, two horns in one bag for the ailerons, and one in a bag for the elevator.

I have been working with Tim Wan at RC Lander for a year getting this kit to market. I agree they are the leaders when it comes to molded kits. And you can be assured that Tim will address any small issues so we can continually improve the kits.

Scott
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero