HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:42 PM
Northern Ireland, UK
Joined May 2004
189 Posts
Discussion
Which budget 2.4ghz radio in uk?

Hi Guys,

1st posting here for 4 years, just getting back into the hobby after a bit of a break.

Pulled my radio gear out to check the batteries and have found the tx pack is shot.

Perhaps now's a good time to upgrade to 2.4ghz, i'm mostly interested in FPV (at this stage anyway - big changes since I left the hobby in 2008!)

Considered buying a Turnigy 9X and perhaps a JR module for it, but they seem near on impossible to get at the moment - heard about the 9XR coming out perhaps thats why.

I'm not in that big a hurry for it, perhaps 4-6 weeks would be fine.

Any recommendations, what do I need to look out for and what should I steer clear of?

Basically A budget but reliable 2.4ghz Mode2 radio with at least 7 (usable) channels is what i'm after.

Cheers, and it's good to be back :-)

/ns
netsurfer is offline Find More Posts by netsurfer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:07 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
941 Posts
The real name of the turnigy 9x is the flysky 9x - which Giantshark stock.

What is your old radio? If it's module based, you can upgrade to 2.4GHz very easily. If not, then you still can upgrade but just requires a bit of soldering. Obviously the dead pack can be replaced cheaply too.

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:02 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
anything Frsky is good ... better than Spektrum IMHO

there is a new 9x coming which will prolly be worth the wait. Otherwise Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro might fit the bill - voltage telemetry included
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:40 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bird View Post
I agree but Flysky is different from FRSky.

A.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Last edited by AndyOne; Nov 16, 2012 at 03:54 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:10 AM
Bonnie Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
847 Posts
What wrong with simply replacing the old tx battery pack? After all 2.4 has its own ups and downs.

http://www.component-shop.co.uk/

There's a certain amount of incompatibility with your desire for a budget 2.4GHz radio and using a JR module. JR and Futaba are not really budget manufacturers so even if you buy a Turnigy 9X and put a JR module in it you are looking at spending bigger bugs for the matching rxs.

What is your old tx? Can it take plug-in rf modules? If so and you are desperate to go to 2.4 then consider some of the various rf modules available from Giantshark. This would fit with your idea of a budget solution.

http://www.giantshark.co.uk/24ghz-systems-c-40_160.html
electrotor is offline Find More Posts by electrotor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:36 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,548 Posts
If you are not sure which 2.4 boat to jump on I'd recommend you convert your existing TX with a cheap module (I like FrSky, but therre are other good options too) rather than buying a new TX. This is cheaper, means you don't have to learn a new radio and allows you to put a toe in the water without getting totally wet. Make sure you learn how to install 2.4 RXs correctly though - they are very different beasts to the 35MHx receivers you used to use, requiring larger power packs and aerials installed in specific orientations (at 90 degrees to each other) to get best performance.
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My OpenTX Taranis templates...
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:35 AM
Northern Ireland, UK
Joined May 2004
189 Posts
Thanks guys,

My current TX is a Sanwa VG-6000 and doesn't have a replaceable module.

The 2.4ghz system seemed like the way to go to avoid being "shot down" I don't fly at a club, but however being a licensed amateur radio operator I am aware that we are coming near the peak in the 11 year solar cycle - this makes me think therefore the probability of receiving unwanted signals from much further away is more likely.

Are the lesser known brands such as FRSKY as reliable as the bigger names such as JR?

Also, I don't fully understand the difference in PCM and PPM however do know that for some of my equipment to function correctly I will be needing a system with the ability to use the PPM protocol. I see some radios are capable of both, what about receivers? With some online retailers the tech data is sparse and it is getting a bit confusing!

In the meantime I have ordered a replacement pack for my Sanwa (2600mAh as opposed to the old 800mAh!) figured even if I go 2.4 the Sanwa would be worthless without a new battery.

I'll go check out the links and no doubt return with more questions!

Can't wait to get back in the air

/ns
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:54 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,268 Posts
PPM and PCM only apply to the "old" FM frequencies like 35MHz. 2.4GHz gear manufacturers uses their own encoding methods which are neither of those. Why do you think you're going to need "the ability to use the PPM protocol" ?

By far the most common 2.4GHz gear in the UK is Spektrum (which I use). That doesn't mean it's better than the other makes, just that it has a larger user base if you need help etc.

The lower cost equipment seems to be getting better but the cheapies that I've tried (FlySky and Radiolink) are nowhere near as good as the mainstream makes like Spektrum/JR, Futaba etc. Some people swear by them, others swear at them....wasn't it always that way .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:13 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurfer View Post
Are the lesser known brands such as FRSKY as reliable as the bigger names such as JR?
Opinions on 2.4 implementations vary widely, but in general any of the full hopping solutions (which hop all over the spectrum constantly - these include FrSky ACCST, Futaba FASST, Hitec AFHSS and Spektrum DSMX) are very reliable. Even the much maligned Spektrum DSM2 will work very well in all but the most congested RF environments, but the very cheapest 2.4 solutions are best avoided as they may only use a small part of the spectrum to hop over, or may even be a single frequency that doesn't hop at all. There aren't many of those left, but they are to be avoided!

The most important thing to remember is that there are signifiant differences between digital and analogue receivers. As a result it's very important that a) you provide the receiver with power from a larger, more reliable source than you did with FM, b) you install the aerials in such a that they are not blanked by metal or carbon components, and c) you fly LOS only. These points apply irrelevent of the 2.4 solution you choose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurfer View Post
Also, I don't fully understand the difference in PCM and PPM however do know that for some of my equipment to function correctly I will be needing a system with the ability to use the PPM protocol. I see some radios are capable of both, what about receivers? With some online retailers the tech data is sparse and it is getting a bit confusing!
PCM and PPM come from 35MHz FM era. PPM receivers won't work with a TX transmitting PCM or vice versa, but many TXs were capable of transmitting both. If you're planning on converting an old FM TX to 2.4GHz then the PCM mode is no longer of use, but you will need to find a way to get a PPM signal out of the TX to the module in question - this is normally most easily achieved via a lead from the trainer port. Hope that helps!
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My OpenTX Taranis templates...
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:42 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bird View Post

there is a new 9x coming which will prolly be worth the wait. Otherwise Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro might fit the bill - voltage telemetry included
+1 on the Eclipse 7 even the Aurora 9 is not that much more expensive,Hobby King now has cheap $22 full range Rx's but without the telemetry which is what really makes the radio an excellent choise.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:51 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
FRSky 2.4 is up there with the best - i'd choose it over Spektrum/JR

i fly a Hitec A9 and absolutely love it, having migrated there from Futaba... I would happily fly a FRSky in a 9x tho'... or a Hitec 7 Pro

the other thing to be sure of with any 2.4 system is that there is no conflict or intereference with your FVP streaming radio - some of them don't like 2.4 Ghz because they themselves work on this frequency or on a related harmonic of it
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:20 PM
Northern Ireland, UK
Joined May 2004
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
PPM and PCM only apply to the "old" FM frequencies like 35MHz. 2.4GHz gear manufacturers uses their own encoding methods which are neither of those. Why do you think you're going to need "the ability to use the PPM protocol" ?
I'm talking about the language used between rx and servos. It's my intention to fit a ArduPilot Mega 2.5 at some stage in the future, and I want to be sure I don't have to buy yet more kit to do that.

All other points noted, not sure if i'm any further on though.. lots more stuff to think about that I hadnt even considered!

Will sleep on it for a week or two before making a decision, had a look at the Hitec and it has a lot of very nice features. Price is a fraction higher than what I wanted to spend, but it's growing on me, and the voltage telemetry is a great feature.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:07 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,268 Posts
All modern receivers will drive all normal servos.

It can get a bit confusing but PPM and PCM were really the RF encoding schemes. Even PCM receivers produced the same format of channel output signals to the servos as the more common PPM receivers. But just to confuse things that servo drive signal is also sometimes called PPM .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:09 AM
Bonnie Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
847 Posts
If you intend to use the 2.4GHz band for FPV video then you would want to avoid 2.4GHz model control. That leads you back to 35MHz for model control.
However if you wish to use 2.4GHz for model control you would be best advised to use 5.8GHz for FPV video. Choices, choices.

There is also the option of using 459MHz for model control, leaving either 2.4 or 5.8 for video, but that wouldn't really fit with your budget considerations. 459MHz is more expensive and you still require a "donor" transmitter and a fair bit of work to get it running.
electrotor is offline Find More Posts by electrotor
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:41 AM
Joined Oct 2012
58 Posts
Thought of maybe trying out the FrSky internal DIY module that they have over at Hobbyking? it's cheap and is compatible with all their ACCST stuff. That will convert you Sanwa you know and love into a 2.4ghz pretty cheap with telemetry!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_Module.html
Epitaph is offline Find More Posts by Epitaph