Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:22 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Discussion
flying dragon

So i just watched how to train your dragon and it got me thinking. Did some googling and only one i found was a turbine powered one. That is obviously out of the question for me but i thought maybe in an edf? Anyone know of one that i missed? Either way im gonna start drawing up something tomorrow.
Edit: Ok, well found a good top down view of one. Gonna cut it out as a very small version to test gliding capability as well as cog. The wings on this should be fairly easy to do. It is the head and body that I'm worried about. I have no plans to make the full legs, as its a bit out of my sculpting skills. If the glider works out, i'll proceed to a larger version. Most likely with a simple rectangle shaped body at first just to test the concept.

Edit: Ok just built 2 glider prototypes, both glide fanstastic. Gonna scale it up to about a 28 in WS, and put a prop on the front of it to test a flying model before I go with a ducted fan setup
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Last edited by stingeragents; Nov 01, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:15 PM
United States, FL, Mayo
Joined Jul 2012
144 Posts
interesting.
Schoolya is offline Find More Posts by Schoolya
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:26 AM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,389 Posts
birds

wee need pic's
space 1 is offline Find More Posts by space 1
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:13 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
a few MAN issues ago, there was a flying, EDF dragon on the last page. it actually breaths fire too. I'll look in my issues and I'll tel you exactly which one it was in, and/or a website that you can go to.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:16 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
here's footage of his EDF test dragon flying on the MAN site.

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...flying-dragon/
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:21 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
here's a few words from the designer about the EDF and also whether he plans to offer plans or a complete dragon................

"The prototype was a 12s with a 5 inch fan–The new version can be constructed with electric or turbine-this is an all composite structure requiring 62 molds to produce-thats why it is so large and still light-30 lbs at 9ft span–plans of what!!!?"

"unfortunately- the body is formed around internal parts (formers and gas tank) while using the molds to do so. also this structure is layed up with a nomex core under vacuum and then cooked in an oven for 15 hours after the inital cure–it is a complex build–just thinking about the drive assembly for the head gives me a headache–possibly in the future I might offer a completed version—who knows—last thought–aint this a great hobby–the best Jerry –the best!!!!"
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:24 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
here's more on the dragon.

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/20...page-view=true
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:22 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Yea i saw that. Looks sweet. I dont have the skills to make something look that good. Tried to fly my prototype but it was real windy and i think too heavy. Been trying to get my f15 finished and also crashed my 22 yesterday so gonna have to wait on dragon a bit
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:19 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
you could always get a plan for a flying bird and just modify to look more like a dragon. shouldn't be that difficult to do. the CG should still be the same and all the control surfaces would still be the same.