Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:59 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
lovegroove's Avatar
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Apologies if I don't get around to answering any of your questions in the next 24 hours or so. I'm busy moving from France to the UK, so will be on the road all day tomorrow. See you all on the other side!

LG

http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr/
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:00 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
60 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the distance is between the mounting holes on the KK2.0? (in metric please )
metap0Pe is offline Find More Posts by metap0Pe
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:49 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
14 Posts
Want to get into it

After seeing videos and looking at different sites on quadcopters I wish to get into buying one. The dilemma for me is that there are so many different units/models out there. What I would like to do is buy one that has GPS, return to home hover at set co-ordinate etc and be able to carry 400-500g camera, whether that be a GoPro or a Camcorder.
I would also like to be able to see what the camera is seeing while I fly it? My price range is $1000 Australian. So I am asking all the experts and experienced people to help me narrow it down, or point me in the right direction.
All information and advice would be great appreciated.
Thanks
Bryan
AusBryan is offline Find More Posts by AusBryan
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:03 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
lovegroove's Avatar
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metap0Pe View Post
Can anyone tell me what the distance is between the mounting holes on the KK2.0? (in metric please )
should be 45mm, which is standard for most controllers.

http://drone-pilot.blogspot.co.uk/
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:14 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
lovegroove's Avatar
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusBryan View Post
After seeing videos and looking at different sites on quadcopters I wish to get into buying one. The dilemma for me is that there are so many different units/models out there. What I would like to do is buy one that has GPS, return to home hover at set co-ordinate etc and be able to carry 400-500g camera, whether that be a GoPro or a Camcorder.
I would also like to be able to see what the camera is seeing while I fly it? My price range is $1000 Australian. So I am asking all the experts and experienced people to help me narrow it down, or point me in the right direction.
All information and advice would be great appreciated.
Thanks
Bryan
I think you might be asking a bit much for AU$1K. If you already have things such as Lipos, charger, transmitter and other modelling supplies then you could just about do it with something like a dji F550 with Naza controller with GPS, but if you're brand new to copters then it's a recipe for disaster.

You need flying skills to get the copter tuned, so even if it has GPS, you can't rely on the copter to fly itself. You really have to get the flying skills first and then step up to a system with more features. It's much better to start with a basic copter that you can have your crashes with (and you will crash lots) while you build up your flying skills.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:47 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Evesham
Joined Oct 2012
15 Posts
what flight controller would you recommend as i would like to add gps aswell without breaking the bank,ive read your blog about naza and ALL IN ONE PRO Flight Controller V1.1 that seems to come in at less then half price including gps system
what kit could is better out the the ones listed or could you advise something different as i see the motors etc are different and some use carbon blades (so many options too choose )

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...5&productname=

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...9&productname=
chris7star is offline Find More Posts by chris7star
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:28 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
lovegroove's Avatar
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
The HP-550 kit comes with much better motors/ESCs, but I quite like the look of the X650 frame, but overall I think the HP-550 package is the better deal. I haven't tried the carbon fibre props, but hopefully they will be better than some of the early carbon fibre props coming out of China that were totally unbalanced and prone to failure.

There's no doubt that getting the GPS to work well with the Naza is much easier than the Crius AIO and that's basically what you're paying for (ease of use). However, if you get the Crius tuned properly then it offers more features. Depends how much time you're willing to invest in setting up your copter really.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:51 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
14 Posts
I was wondering if the entry level mini x250 and mini x400 quads are capable to mounting a basic hobbyking fpv system (~$50 package)?
solarcow is offline Find More Posts by solarcow
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:52 AM
Registered User
PAinguIN's Avatar
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
Brand Spanking New!!!

Hey guys!

I literally just joined the forums here. I've been a computing/electronics enthusiast for most of my life and am looking to move towards the RC and UAV area.

I've been building systems for High Altitude Photography over the past 3 years and have really enjoyed working on and designing the projects. Because of that, I've found interest in other things and that is why I am here now.

But anyway, this is what I would like to do.

I want to build a multirotor copter (unsure if I should go with quad, hex, etc) similar to the http://store.diydrones.com/product_p/ud-acqrtf01.htm or the http://store.diydrones.com/ArduCopte...d-achrtf01.htm.

I would like to also be able to mount a camera to the device. Possibly a GoPro but a smaller CMOS camera or the like may suffice at first. But I certainly would like to be able to see the video in real time from my base station (or tablet, laptop, smart phone, etc).

I want to build something similar and I want to do it myself because that's where I would have the most fun. The ArduCopter's I linked above are waaay too expensive. Their parts are significantly over priced if you were to buy them individually. Their RP-SMA to U.FL interface cables sell for $4.95. I used these exact same cables in my previous high altitude imagery projects and paid under $2 for them.

Point being, I believe I can build a similar Quad or Hexcopter much cheaper.

I am, however, brand new to the RC world and know nothing about building multirotor copters in the least.

I guess the first thing that I need will be a frame. I've found tons online but am unsure as to which ones will allow the most space for electronics, are durable, etc, etc.

Could you guys offer me some recommendations please? Perhaps their are kits or fully built multirotor copters I can buy and modify with more advanced electronics, engines, etc.

I don't know, that's why I'm asking the guys who do know. Lol!

Thank you all in advance for your help and I look forward to starting on this new and exciting project!

Regards,

PAinguiN
PAinguIN is offline Find More Posts by PAinguIN
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:13 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
14 Posts
Thanks for the reply lovegroove and helpful information. What would you recommend as a entry level copter for someone like me to get started with and learn to fly before heading off to buy bigger and better?
AusBryan is offline Find More Posts by AusBryan
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:16 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
I think you might be asking a bit much for AU$1K. If you already have things such as Lipos, charger, transmitter and other modelling supplies then you could just about do it with something like a dji F550 with Naza controller with GPS, but if you're brand new to copters then it's a recipe for disaster.

You need flying skills to get the copter tuned, so even if it has GPS, you can't rely on the copter to fly itself. You really have to get the flying skills first and then step up to a system with more features. It's much better to start with a basic copter that you can have your crashes with (and you will crash lots) while you build up your flying skills.
Thanks for the reply lovegroove and helpful information. What would you recommend as a entry level copter for someone like me to get started with and learn to fly before heading off to buy bigger and better?
AusBryan is offline Find More Posts by AusBryan
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:16 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
lovegroove's Avatar
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusBryan View Post
Thanks for the reply lovegroove and helpful information. What would you recommend as a entry level copter for someone like me to get started with and learn to fly before heading off to buy bigger and better?
I'd recommend a simple quadcopter like in my article here: http://drone-pilot.blogspot.co.uk/20...at-to-buy.html. If you can afford it, maybe start straight away with a Naza without GPS and then you can upgrade later, but the kk2.0 board is perfect to learn with.

There are loads of really good deals around on Frames,motors & ESCs and you just need to add your own flight controller. Have a look at some of these deals on RCTimer, but make sure you get a package that has the SimonK flashed ESCs.

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...t.dwt&gcat=144

When you want to add FPV equipment then there is a great shop in OZ that I can recommend and you will get good support: http://www.mongrelgear.com.au/

Cheers,

LG http://drone-pilot.blogspot.co.uk/
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:57 AM
Registered User
PAinguIN's Avatar
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
I'd recommend a simple quadcopter like in my article here: http://drone-pilot.blogspot.co.uk/20...at-to-buy.html. If you can afford it, maybe start straight away with a Naza without GPS and then you can upgrade later, but the kk2.0 board is perfect to learn with.

There are loads of really good deals around on Frames,motors & ESCs and you just need to add your own flight controller. Have a look at some of these deals on RCTimer, but make sure you get a package that has the SimonK flashed ESCs.

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...t.dwt&gcat=144

When you want to add FPV equipment then there is a great shop in OZ that I can recommend and you will get good support: http://www.mongrelgear.com.au/

Cheers,

LG http://drone-pilot.blogspot.co.uk/
It sounds like I need to follow the same advice you've given AusBryan eh? ;-)
PAinguIN is offline Find More Posts by PAinguIN
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:27 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
lovegroove's Avatar
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinguIN View Post
It sounds like I need to follow the same advice you've given AusBryan eh? ;-)
Sorry for not getting back to you before, but yes you would probably be much better off starting with a basic system to hone your flying skills before stepping up to a more complex system. There's no short-cut to becoming a competent pilot and you have to put the hours of practice in and you'll learn so much on the way as to what works and what doesn't.

LG
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:29 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
lovegroove's Avatar
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
New article up about what to buy for FPV. This is the second in my series of articles about FPV which will hopefully culminate in an article specifically about adding an FPV system to a multicopter.

http://drone-pilot.blogspot.co.uk/20...at-to-buy.html
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Do you know what airplane is this and who made it? mashca Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 11 Sep 13, 2012 11:43 PM
Discussion Do you know what airplane is this and who made it? mashca The Builders Workshop 5 Sep 11, 2012 07:05 PM
Question How do you know what part is bad? j2591 Micro Helis 5 Aug 13, 2012 07:39 PM
Discussion Do you know what this is? jaizon Thermal 3 Jul 22, 2012 02:09 PM
Wanted do you know what plane this is ? streetbikegod4 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 5 Mar 18, 2012 08:41 AM