Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCadet View Post
Wow!

Thanks Kalmon!

Now, the newer planes with AS3X seem to be coming with a 2500kV motor, maybe not a big difference, but it'll be interesting to see what is up! As my moniker says, I like 3-blade props a lot so I am really looking forward to seeing what one will do on my plane.

I have a spare foam spinner from a different model that I have modified to work with the Beast's prop adapter/plate so when I try the 3-blade, I can pop it on there. Painting the tips red is a great idea! I think I'll look into that too...

Thanks again for sharing your great review of several systems. My goodies did not make it before the weekend, so I'll probably be doing this within the next week...

Cheers, and smooth skies, sir!

Darren/SkyCadet
My clubs Facebook page has pictures of the Sbach and B3D with GWS 3 blade props:

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:27 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Very nice! Those look pretty mean!

My set of props from HK will be black... They should look awesome, esp. with some red tips!

Just came back from 3 awesome flights! 8 minutes plus each with pretty significant sport flyin', and prop hanging!

D
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SkyCadet; Oct 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined May 2011
27 Posts
loss of power

My poor wee beastie is flying really badly at the moment. I havent taken it out for a few months - but today it was chugging along.

Just not enough power - can to a vertical climb - but only just. i am sure it used to be a lot better!

I am ordering some new batts just incase - but spinning the rotor when it is at rest by hand... it is very jerky. Is that normal? I have had a few wee prangs in the past - I am worried that i have done something to it.

Any tips?
doctorz is offline Find More Posts by doctorz
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:28 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorz View Post
My poor wee beastie is flying really badly at the moment. I havent taken it out for a few months - but today it was chugging along.

Just not enough power - can to a vertical climb - but only just. i am sure it used to be a lot better!

I am ordering some new batts just incase - but spinning the rotor when it is at rest by hand... it is very jerky. Is that normal? I have had a few wee prangs in the past - I am worried that i have done something to it.

Any tips?
New batts is good. Jerky rotor OK. Mine's like that and so is my other brushless KV2500 on Sbach. I believe the term is "cogging". I believe it's the magnets and winding doing their thing.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:11 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Yes that is normal. Many motors will do this as the magnets cog into place as Mike put it. Some rotors are a bit more tight than others.

If your batteries are older, and you did not put them into storage voltage regime before leaving them, then they may have begun to age prematurely. I'd try some new batteries or try cycling the older one a few times on you charger.

SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:16 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Beast VS Champ!!!

Well, today I went out again and flew my Beasty, whilst my friend flew his Micro champ. A lot of fun in light wind, and Darren, the "Red Baron", with his beast, decided to try and lock onto the champ as a target...

Got "good tone" and just as I was pulling away, my buddy thought he was going to hit me and moved rapidly to port. I was also pulling up and away to port and SCRRRRAPE!!! The two collided!

Both planes were fine - his had a dint in the leading edge of his port wing, my top wing on the starboard side was a bit scraped up. Some touchup black semi-gloss, and a quick coating of diluted white glue, and she's almost like new!!!

Goes to show you - I shouldn't have gotten so close to his Micro Champ - the Beast flies nearly 2x as fast and while more manoeuverable, it is easy to get to collision distance pretty fast! The white glue on both planes saved them from a worse disaster, BTW.

SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:05 AM
Joined May 2011
27 Posts
Thanks for the reassurance guys.
doctorz is offline Find More Posts by doctorz
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:36 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
After the snow last night and all day today I am tempted to put the skis on my Stinson now! No need to put the Beast away in winter though Darren, I fly mine all winter right off the street in front of the house. It flys great off the hard packed snow, and keeps the thumbs in practice for when spring comes.

I have a ton of winter flying videos on my youtube site, justlostagain, if you are interested.

Take care,

Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCadet View Post
Well, today I went out again and flew my Beasty, whilst my friend flew his Micro champ. A lot of fun in light wind, and Darren, the "Red Baron", with his beast, decided to try and lock onto the champ as a target...

Got "good tone" and just as I was pulling away, my buddy thought he was going to hit me and moved rapidly to port. I was also pulling up and away to port and SCRRRRAPE!!! The two collided!

Both planes were fine - his had a dint in the leading edge of his port wing, my top wing on the starboard side was a bit scraped up. Some touchup black semi-gloss, and a quick coating of diluted white glue, and she's almost like new!!!

Goes to show you - I shouldn't have gotten so close to his Micro Champ - the Beast flies nearly 2x as fast and while more manoeuverable, it is easy to get to collision distance pretty fast! The white glue on both planes saved them from a worse disaster, BTW.

SkyCadet
Hi Marlin,

How's it going? Like you, I also enjoy flying the Beast in the winter. I live on a dead-end road near the cul-de-sac, so there's essentially no traffic. I use the street for a runway & fly over my yard. It's so convenient to be able to just walk outside & fly! Back when I was a kid, I used to dream about being able to do that. And now we can do it with a scale unlimited aerobatic ship that can fly in winds that would ground many large-scale planes!

SkyCadet,

Interesting encounter! Was that with a Beast 3D or V1? I've been hit while flying my Champ at our indoor spot, and I've had a mid-air with my Beast 3D in there, as well.

My Champ got nailed by a larger plane during the maiden. Happened during my initial turn after takeoff. Took the wing right off the fuse, and the prop put a gash in the fuse, just ahead of the gear. A bit of ca & she was back in the air. She still wears the scar on her cheek from that one....

I once knocked wings with a considerably larger 3D plane while flying circuits with my B3D. This was shortly after the B3D had been released, so nobody at our indoor spot had seen one before. The other plane went down (undamaged), but my B3D kept on flying! I brought her around & landed to check for damage (cracked the starboard interplane strut & creased a wingtip). As I was taxiing back, the guy who was flying the larger plane & a few others who were watching walked over to me. They couldn't believe that such a small plane could knock such a large plane out of the sky & they wanted to know what the heck was going on with this particular Beast. So I told them about the new damping system & gave them a static demo. I really wish I would have had my hatcam rolling during that flight! Would have been cool to do a frame-by-frame of that. I also hit my ham radio antenna with the B3D during a WOT pass on 3s. Again, the plane flew out of it. I did have the hatcam rolling for that one. The video is on my YouTube channel.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:24 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
It was the V2 Beast - B3D.

I got pretty lucky. Just afew scuff marks, I guess we only had glancing contact. I already patched her up (some semi-gloss black for the scuffs, a touch of whiteglue over the leading edges where there was a small split by the strut, and a piece of spare clear decal material to tape over the rough scuff to smooth it out like almost-new. She's ready for action!

SC
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:06 PM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
674 Posts
i lost my cowl lid
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:17 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,602 Posts
$5 penalty.
Mine looks funky now because of the Spackle I used to patch it up. Not worth the $5 though.
I lost a control horn in the grass, that was going to cost me $4.99 + 7.99 in shipping! $12.98 for a part that doesn't even weight a gram I would imagine.
Mike
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:40 PM
"Kneel before Zod!"
Tacoma, WA. USA
Joined Dec 2003
490 Posts
Ran the wattmeter last night to compare the Miniaviation 210 packs to my new Turnigy 260's....

Stock motor (2500kv)
Stock prop (5x2.75)

Miniaviation 210mah 2s 25c:
Volts - 7.17
Amps - 2.66
Watts - 19.9

Turnigy 260mah 2s 35-70c:
Volts - 7.67
Amps - 2.76
Watts - 22.1

A 10% increase in power, that's going to be noticeable. That is only the first charge on the Turnigys, I expect the numbers to get better after break-in. Here's a buddy code for anyone interested.
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...E-B7BB9022B3DA
turbovector is offline Find More Posts by turbovector
Last edited by turbovector; Oct 14, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:42 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Well - I pulled my fuse apart and did some surgery on my board. There was indeed a lot of goop on top of the board. Removing all of this improved things but still hasn't fixed things for me.

I find that I can fly back to back 3s packs as long as I'm not doing any harrier/hover stuff. As long as I keep the plane moving and therefore keep solid airflow over the ESC I'm fine but if I switch my flying style to my normal style (low and slow) then I run into serious issues.

I may try a few more things but I'm probably just going to stay with 2s flying for now.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovector View Post
Ran the wattmeter last night to compare the Miniaviation 210 packs to my new Turnigy 260's....

Stock motor (2500kv)
Stock prop (5x2.75)

Miniaviation 210mah 2s 25c:
Volts - 7.17
Amps - 2.66
Watts - 19.9

Turnigy 260mah 2s 35-70c:
Volts - 7.67
Amps - 2.76
Watts - 22.1

A 10% increase in power, that's going to be noticeable. That is only the first charge on the Turnigys, I expect the numbers to get better after break-in. Here's a buddy code for anyone interested.
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...E-B7BB9022B3DA
Thanks for your work. Guess I"m sold now. Gonna order soon.
Mike
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:18 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
Thanks for your work. Guess I"m sold now. Gonna order soon.
Mike

I used Hyperion 250's with similar results, flys much better CG wise and more power.

Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn