HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:31 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2012
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtodust2000 View Post
COG is on the small carbon fiber rod behind the receiver pocket.

Here is a good video to watch.
http://flitetest.com/articles/tek-sumo-and-bonsai
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
They give you a COG spec in the instructions: some particular distance from the nose.

However, as I have mentioned above, it is difficult to build it with the COG where they say without significant extra nose weight. Some people use bigger batteries but if you increase the battery pocket size, the nose area gets weaker.

They have enough surface area to carry the extra weight and they do fly nice once you find a solution to the COG dilemma.
Thanks! i just ordered two 900mm Pop Wings and a 40A Dynam ESC.
Going to use NTM 1800KV motor with 6X4 prop...and a 2650 35C 3S nanotech. That 2650 3S lipo is pretty flat shaped so more than likely i'm just going to plop it on top of the Pop wing.

Plan to use this wing for FPV...so I have other components to shift around to find the right COG. I realize with all the extra weight...i'll have to upgrade or add additional spars. will report back next week when i start building.
urbansniper is offline Find More Posts by urbansniper
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2013, 05:39 PM
USA, LA, Sorrento
Joined Jul 2007
168 Posts
Wats a good set up for the mini I have one with the stock motor and esc from NP I fly with a 500-800 mah 2cell been messing around with it for about a year now it flys good but looking for something a litter quicker would like to use the battery's I have

Thanks
millera1 is offline Find More Posts by millera1
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:54 PM
Flying mostly pop-wings now.
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Dec 2011
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by millera1 View Post
Wats a good set up for the mini I have one with the stock motor and esc from NP I fly with a 500-800 mah 2cell been messing around with it for about a year now it flys good but looking for something a litter quicker would like to use the battery's I have

Thanks
This is my favorite setup here,

motor:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_2300kv.html

esc:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._w_1A_BEC.html

Prop:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...6pcs_set_.html

I would highly suggest a 3 cell 500mah battery.
ashtodust2000 is offline Find More Posts by ashtodust2000
Old Jul 13, 2013, 03:37 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2013
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by millera1 View Post

Thanks
If you want to stick with 2-cell then you'll need a high kv motor. The Turnigy SK3 motors are pretty awesome and light enough for the mini. I use the 2750kv for a light set-up and the 2100kv for a heavier set-up. I use them both with 3-cell and a 5x3 (5x5 for the 2100kv) but for 2-cell the 3100kv is probably the go. The guy in this video is using the 3100kv with 2S and a 5x3 and it goes pretty fast when he opens it up.
CelloGuy is online now Find More Posts by CelloGuy
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:39 AM
United States, NC, Bear Grass
Joined Jul 2011
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelloGuy View Post
If you want to stick with 2-cell then you'll need a high kv motor. The Turnigy SK3 motors are pretty awesome and light enough for the mini. I use the 2750kv for a light set-up and the 2100kv for a heavier set-up. I use them both with 3-cell and a 5x3 (5x5 for the 2100kv) but for 2-cell the 3100kv is probably the go. The guy in this video is using the 3100kv with 2S and a 5x3 and it goes pretty fast when he opens it up.
How can that SK motor be that much faster than stock on a 2s? Is the stock motor that weak? The SK is only 42w.
I think the best and most efficient way is to get a 3000kv hextronik and put on a 3s 800mah. He might not want to get new batteries but considering the cost of a couple of batteries that is the route I would take.
melloyello is offline Find More Posts by melloyello
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:29 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2013
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloyello View Post
How can that SK motor be that much faster than stock on a 2s? Is the stock motor that weak? The SK is only 42w.
I think the best and most efficient way is to get a 3000kv hextronik and put on a 3s 800mah. He might not want to get new batteries but considering the cost of a couple of batteries that is the route I would take.
I have Bonsais so don't know the stock NP motor but their site says it's the 8.8g T1306 and it would make sense that the SK3s would be more powerful than that. The SK3s are 17g for the 3100kv and 24g for the 2100kv and heavier motors are generally more powerful. I've tried putting lighter, higher kv motors on my wing to see if it would go faster and on the same size props they move them much slower. I've got three SK3s and I really rate them.

I don't have the 24g Hextronik 3000kv but it's supposed to be absolutely kick-arse. I've seen video of one on a Mini Popwing (MrJohnnymeg on youtube) and it really moves. It also draws way more current though. The SK3s will take about 5A (3100kv) or 7A (2100kv) whereas the Hextronik draws up to 22A. That means a bigger ESC and much shorter flights - the guy on youtube says he gets 5-7 minutes on an 850mAh which is much less than I get. Of course he's clocked his at 78mph and mine would be more like 50 at WOT. I read on a youtube post that the T1306 is more like 20 or 30mph.

The Hextronik will work well on 2S so if you don't mind having to get a new ESC and shorter flight times then that could be a good option. Should be plenty fast. Or just go the SK3. Should be faster than the stock motor and longer flights than the Hextronik.
CelloGuy is online now Find More Posts by CelloGuy
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:53 PM
Las Vegas
Joined May 2008
146 Posts
Motor choice for mini popwing

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Firepowe...otor-E-530.htm
5x3 gws prop
3s 500, 3s 450 or 3s 350
Vertical takeoff
unlvace is offline Find More Posts by unlvace
Last edited by unlvace; Jul 14, 2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 04:28 PM
United States, AZ, Kingman
Joined May 2013
239 Posts
Tried to maiden my Popwing today.
light breeze (just enough to feel) gave 4 clicks up elevator , half throttle and tossed it into the breeze...went about 10ft nosed in and prop exploded into many many pieces.
OK, What did I do wrong.
AZdigger is offline Find More Posts by AZdigger
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:34 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
Really only two variables. CG and elevon position. BTW, mine did the same thing the first time due to elevon position.

So where is is you CG? It should be no further back than the spec in the instruction. What size battery do you have? Did you add extra nose weight?

How did you set your elevons? They need to be about 1/4" up from the back edge of the wing. I had mine flat with the wind and that is way to low and led to a hard nose in. It better to have them up a little too much and have to dial in down trim. Then it may loop on you but at least its not nose into the ground.

You have also need more power to start, like 3/4 power. Go full on and then back off just a little.

The instructions don't tell you how to set the elevons. They will end up around 1/4" up with level trim. This is called reflex. I found my right one has to be a little higher than the left one. I believe this counteracts the prop torque.. I also sometimes put a 7g weight on the right wing tip to help with the prop torque. I get smoother launches that way.
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:57 PM
United States, NC, Bear Grass
Joined Jul 2011
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdigger View Post
Tried to maiden my Popwing today.
light breeze (just enough to feel) gave 4 clicks up elevator , half throttle and tossed it into the breeze...went about 10ft nosed in and prop exploded into many many pieces.
OK, What did I do wrong.
I got lucky and was quick on the elevator on my maiden. My problem was the lack of reflex in my elevons. I set my elevons level with the wing. They actually need a little up elevator as stated before. A few millimeters will do the job.
melloyello is offline Find More Posts by melloyello
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:04 PM
United States, AZ, Kingman
Joined May 2013
239 Posts
CG is right on , got a 1300mah battery.....the elevon was almost flat.
now it has a little up to it.
As soon as I get another prop I will go again....
saved the trip , had my champ in the back so I did get to fly.
AZdigger is offline Find More Posts by AZdigger
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:15 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
Quote:
Odd that a nose in crash would destroy the prop. I also run a 1300. I need a fair amount of nose weight in addition to get the CG even close. You should be ok, with some up elevon. Takes a few runs to find the right place for the elevons. Once you find that point, measure where there are so if you ever need to reset them (like changing a servo) you will know where they need to be.
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Jul 18, 2013, 02:21 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2013
123 Posts
Quote:
Yes you do need some elevator uptrim and prop saver. By now I'd have gone through at least 5 props had I not had the prop saver on my Popwing.
Anyway, so far really happy with Popwing. I use ExceedRC Optima 370 1080KV and although it weighs 47g - same as the stock T motor, I need 1800mAH 3S plus 10-20g weight to balance the CG. Also, I did the mods to mount battery & ESC on the top of the wing rather than at the bottom.
Once the CG balance was achieved it flies really nice. Very easy to take off & land. I usually just cruise around at half throttle with some powerless glides and get flight times 15+ minutes. Glides are pretty nice and the mods I did or higher wing loading doesn't seem to have any major affect.
elewon is offline Find More Posts by elewon
Old Jul 20, 2013, 02:18 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2012
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
How did you set your elevons? They need to be about 1/4" up from the back edge of the wing. I had mine flat with the wind and that is way to low and led to a hard nose in.

The instructions don't tell you how to set the elevons. They will end up around 1/4" up with level trim. This is called reflex.
thanks for letting us know rhodesengr!
I am in the process of building my 900mm popwing right now.

The EPP foam seems to take on regular spray paint...FYI; I went with many layers of light misting from a distance (just in case).

urbansniper is offline Find More Posts by urbansniper
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:04 PM
Brkn Prop
United States, NV, Cold Springs
Joined Feb 2012
41 Posts
COG without adding weights

On my 1200 Popwing I was adding 62 grams of weights in the nose. This made the wing level with COG but a bit sluggish. So I cut out the motor mount (moved the motor forward) about 1.25 inches, removed all the weights. She has a new snappiness to the old girl.
D
Scratchgoose is offline Find More Posts by Scratchgoose