HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2010, 01:58 PM
Joined Jun 2007
6 Posts
Build Log
The Dumas Jolly Jay

Hello Friends,

I've followed this forum for quite a while but have apparently never posted, as I'm quite the novice to boat building and have never really had anything useful to say. But, I figured today would be a good day to show you the fruits of my 3-yrs on-and-off labor (and give a boat review). I've included some recent pictures--sorry, no pics from the early hull build. I'll post another picture when everything gets buttoned up and put back together. And I'll try to find a real camera to take the pic with, and have a decent background, rather than my dirty shop. The booms are off and the work deck is in paint (again) right now.

A caveat: This boat should NOT take 3 years to build! I work(ed) on it in my very precious spare time--the whole 'applying to medical school' thing is a time consuming ordeal!

Some notes about her:
F/V Sarah J (named after my sister)
Home port: Cordova, AK
24" x 8", 4" draft.
Scratch built tower, booms, lights, working radar, top-deck railings, windlass.
Gross: ~10lbs, Net: ~5lbs

Several years ago I bought the Dumas Jolly Jay to start off in the world of kit boat building. I bought it because A) I love commercial fishing boats and B) it was cost effective (read: cheap). The kit was purchased through the LHS-Hobbytown-in Utah. I flew it home with me and built the hull that summer. A few notes about building it:

-I wouldn't call it a "beginner" build, but it's not quite "intermediate," either, at least by Billings Boats standards--you should have some familiarity with balsa work and have some basic woodcraft tools: micro saws, rasps, sandpaper of various grits, combi square, micro plane, razor knives, etc. The layout was relatively simple, IIRC, particularly for those who have done a plank-on-frame before. The build notes are decent, but in some places are lacking and require some assumptions.

-The whole "cheap" thing came back to bite me a few times. The mahogany ply is not the best quality, and the laser-cut parts definitely needed some finish work. The fit and finish of some parts was not good. The drive shaft had a slight bend in it (I pretty much corrected this). The included motor is not the greatest, but it works. The blow-molded wheelhouse also requires some finish and fit work. I suggest not using the ply wheelhouse floorboard they included (too much finish work needed for a good fit). Just use .04 styrene sheet.

-I decided to convert my generic JJ to a limit [<58'] Alaska purse seiner. I used the hull, original wheelhouse, bollards, and radar, but everything else was scratch-built. Most of the above-deck parts were low quality and not usable.

-Dumas recommends fiberglassing the finished hull, which i did with Great Planes lightweight glass and Bondo resin. It is incredibly durable with the fiberglass. Fiberglass it ASAP as the balsa hull is incredibly sensitive to...everything. Also, resin coat the entire inside of the hull for extra strength and waterproof-ness (something I didn't do but wish I had--I only painted it).

-It is very important to take your time on the fiberglass and Bondo filling work. A shoddy job here WILL show up in primer and paint. This was my first time with fiberglass, so I burned up a lot of primer looking for minor blemishes in the Bondo work.

-All of my paint work was done with Rust-Oleum rattle cans. Surprisingly, it came out alright, except for one area where I was in a rush to lay down the topcoat and it sagged (not really noticeable). The included pics show the windows painted in the wheelhouse; they look rough because I took the pictures immediately after I pulled the tape off.

-Once the hull is finished, crib the boat well with a solid stand. This will save much paint damage and frustration while you finish the topdeck. For the longest time I used rolled up T-shirts and towels, but it often slipped around when I "got on it" with a wrench or screwstick. This summer I finally cribbed it up right and it does not move. It makes it SO much easier to work on. I should've taken LtDoc's (over on RCU) advice much sooner and correctly built the stand early on.

-Don't be in too much of a rush to run the boat for the maiden voyage. I was, and LSS: forgot to lock down the hatch, got in some heavy wind, and FLOP! over she went. Luckily I salvaged her with only a small crack where water seeped into the top deck. New Rules: Don't sail in heavy winds. And put the batts in a tray so they can't shift. And lock down the hatch. And ballast it correctly.

-I originally scratched a tubular tower about 16" tall and painted it the grey hull color. After paying closer attention to the Prince William Sound seiners, I noticed the trend for newer boats is a squared tower in raw aluminum. I tore out the old boom and tower and scratched the new tower from balsa and Bondo about a month ago. I also added to outrigger booms (not shown in pics) which are used to support the main boom and hold the purse ring hook.

Overall it has been a fun build and good intro to scale building. It is most definitely not up to par with most of the boats I've seen on this forum, but it runs alright and is good enough for a first build. I'm still working on little details; I scratched a seine skiff but trashed it because the lines are all wrong; maybe I'll scratch another one before school starts.

Any suggestions are welcome. Any useful spare parts you would like to send me are also welcome
Woodstock45678 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock45678
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2010, 02:39 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,835 Posts
Great job, Woodstock!

I plan to build my JJ as an AK Limit Seiner as well... The wheel house will be scratch built to look more like those seen on Delta built boats. Looking forward to it.
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jun 17, 2010, 04:06 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,543 Posts
VERY NICE AND WELCOME TO THE BOARD! Seena acouple of these built and they are good little boats.
My girl freind won one of these kits at the regatta a couple of weeks ago, so I will have a new prodject to build here this winter ( along with several others ). My plan is to modify it as well as the basic look of the JJ just doesn't look correct to me. Going to do some similar things to the mast. Will be modifying the house and some of the hull. Built the big brother version in the Thompson Trawler and have been thinking of doing another as I like the seiners of the PNW.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Jun 17, 2010, 05:57 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,659 Posts
Good job Woodstock. Welcome to this forum and good luck in Med school. From the looks of this model you'll make a great surgeon. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Jun 17, 2010, 06:41 PM
Joined Jun 2007
6 Posts
Keith,

I didn't think the JJ had the right hull lines either; many of the seiners have a totally different wheelhouse design and a different forward hull. I was very unsure of my scratch building abilities going into this job and didn't want to heavily modify the stock house. A few boats I looked at in PWS and online (The F/V St. Zita, in particular) showed me that I could get away with the original house with few, if any, mods to make it a legit purse seiner. Though most likely the St. Zita and others in that config. are converted cod boats.
-jb
Old Jun 18, 2010, 11:00 AM
Olympia WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,024 Posts
Woodstock, Great build. Here are a few pictures of Keith's and my Thompson Trawlers. Keith's got me started and the boat isn't finished yet but about 95 %. I wish Dumas would bring back the Thompson Trawler even if it had a plastic hull. I have many models that started with a plastic hull, mainly imports, and never had a problem with them. Jerryj98501
jerryj98501 is online now Find More Posts by jerryj98501
Old Jun 18, 2010, 04:03 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,543 Posts
Thanks for posting the memories of the Olympia days when I had the bells and whistles going on the ol Moonshadow. It was a great boat to run--especially in open water like we used to have on Capital Lake for Harbor days.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 01:25 PM
Joined Jun 2007
6 Posts
Hey Everyone,

A couple more notes from recent experience:

>Cheesecloth and RIT cloth dye (available at Wal-Mart in the laundry detergent section) makes great looking nets. Use a bucket to dye it though; the lady of the house will kill you if you do it in her washing machine or sink. The black dye is particularly nasty stuff and will stain everything in its way!

>http://www.marcoglobal.com/shows/dow...Powerblock.pdf

The Marco ship accessory website showing a schematic for a puretic power block. The sheave is 28", so scale accordingly.

I'll post addn'l pix when time allows.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 01:35 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,543 Posts
For my power block, I used the rim from an r/c airplane tire. The ribs in side the hub and on the hub made the correck appeaence of the power block. Used wood and brass for the rest of the build. This was of course for when it was built back in the late 80's early 90's.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 01:42 PM
Joined Jun 2007
6 Posts
Genius!

I've been killing myself trying to either find or create something that looks remotely like a block. I'll hit hobbytown tomorrow and see what I can find. I need a sheave 1/3" x 1" for a correct scale look. Everything else I can scratch, but without a lathe, it's extremely difficult to make something round like a sheave.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 01:49 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,835 Posts
You might also check out the screen door/curtain hardware section of your local hardware store... some of the plastic hardware there looks very much like the part you are looking for... and the right size for the JJ...

EDIT Oooops, I was thinking pot block, not the power block for hauling nets.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 02:05 PM
Joined Jun 2007
6 Posts
The pics with the net (no corks on it yet; can't find the right ones).
Old Jun 24, 2010, 02:15 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock45678 View Post
(no corks on it yet; can't find the right ones).
think light brown beads from the craft store.

Sarah J looks great!
Old Jun 24, 2010, 03:39 PM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,548 Posts
Very nice build. The nice thing about boats like this is you can keep adding details as you go and the more beat up it gets the better it looks.
SO welcome aboard. Looking forward to some pic's on the water.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Jun 24, 2010, 04:06 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,543 Posts
Woodstock--if you need some detail photos of something, let me know and I can always go down to the harbor and get some shots of the boats that are still here.
I used a lot of unusuall items on th TT build that just looked correct with a little change here and there. ( ping pong balls, cake decorating items, usuall pins with round heads, ect..)