HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2010, 09:22 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Mod-

Nice report! I have two 2 meter motor gliders, one has full blown spoilers, the other has "spoilerons"...both require a slight spoiler-to-elevator up mix to keep the nose from dipping when deployed on approach. FYI. Possibly a good idea for the 4site as well.

It's really cool to deploy them on approach and watch the descent rate and pitch attitude adjust for a perfect spot landing.

Bud, missing-summer-soaring Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2010, 07:13 AM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,665 Posts
Thanks you modfly for this thread. Is it possible to program flaps into the um p-51?
humveeflyer is offline Find More Posts by humveeflyer
Old Feb 20, 2010, 07:58 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by humveeflyer View Post
Thanks you modfly for this thread. Is it possible to program flaps into the um p-51?
Not without adding a second servo. The 4site has 2 aileron servos.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:54 AM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Mod-

Nice report! I have two 2 meter motor gliders, one has full blown spoilers, the other has "spoilerons"...both require a slight spoiler-to-elevator up mix to keep the nose from dipping when deployed on approach. FYI. Possibly a good idea for the 4site as well.

It's really cool to deploy them on approach and watch the descent rate and pitch attitude adjust for a perfect spot landing.

Bud, missing-summer-soaring Bud
I will eventually try spoilerons to. I do not have any gliders per say but I have been using spoilerons in a few of my planes with good results. I do use a elevator mix with spoilerons as well. I talked about Flapperons\Spoilers here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=21

I can not wait for winter to be done!
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:07 AM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Not without adding a second servo. The 4site has 2 aileron servos.
Thanks. I tried it this morning and found that out.
humveeflyer is offline Find More Posts by humveeflyer
Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:13 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Yes, the dual aileron servos is a first on the 4-Site. The UM P-51 and UM Sukhoi both have single servo ailerons.
Last edited by modfly; Feb 20, 2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:04 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Hey Mod-

I just happened to remember that John Glezellis talks about flaperon mixes he's playing with in his new F3P plane (a J2M Raiden), in an article in January Model Aviation.

I don't know if it's mentioned there, but here's a thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1163467

Bud, admits-when-he's-wrong Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:21 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Hey Mod-

I just happened to remember that John Glezellis talks about flaperon mixes he's playing with in his new F3P plane (a J2M Raiden), in an article in January Model Aviation.

I don't know if it's mentioned there, but here's a thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1163467

Bud, admits-when-he's-wrong Bud
I did not see any mention of flapperons in that thread. Dual 2ch ailerons do open up more wing tuning options for sure. I think we will be seeing more on this topic in general thanks to the 4-Site.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:30 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,139 Posts
Modfly, I really like your work on the application of this function on the sukhoi. I currently have nearly 150 flights on my (2) 4 sites and am not sure if the flap function is going to be stable on this plane. Proper modulation of throttle/elevator yields a nice nose high attitude and crawl speed. (harrier)
However, I am currently using a version of this function on my reactor bipe, activating by switch, a proportional flap/elevator mix..(full up elevator yeilds full down flap, and the reverse).. This doesnt really help in normal flight but REALLY comes alive with full throttle/deflection blips, making the plane loop inside or outside in place. If the 4 site has enough power and that function can be summoned, it would be interesting, as the stock plane's loops are kinda wide IMO.. (it doesnt have the throws I'm used to on elevator)
Advice.. It is hard to judge the true characteristics of the 4site in ANY wind. I AVOID flying outside for this reason. Bring her inside and you WILL be tickled! Also, Ive found because of the ultra-sensitive nature of the rudder and the constant need for its use that a fair amount of EXPO helps.
Keep up the good work! M
MikeRx is online now Find More Posts by MikeRx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Build Service
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:30 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
CG setting

I also was just thinking about CG on the 4-Site and how it affects flight. Last night I could tell by the way the plane was flying that the CG is AFT. I'm not really a 3D flyer although I have a few 3D plans. I'm thinking now that moving the CG forward a bit may make the 4-Site a little more easier to fly (outside) but at the cost of some of the 3D capability. The way this plane flys reminds me of the GWS TM-350-3D. It was also hard to manage with the stock CG. After I moved the CG forward on the TM-350, the plane flew much better but then again, it may not be better from a 3D perspective.

I am going to work with the CG next as I do most of my flying outside or in the yard. This plane is very sensitive to wind and thats one drawback of a 3D plane. So it looks like I will be modding this plane for outdoor flight.
Last edited by modfly; Feb 20, 2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:42 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
Modfly, I really like your work on the application of this function on the sukhoi. Keep up the good work! M
My main mod to the Sukhoi was the addition of a BL geared innrunner. I did not mod the ailerons on the Sukhoi. Reme is the one who added an extra aileron servo to his UM Sukhoi.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:45 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly View Post
My main mod to the Sukhoi was the addition of a BL geared innrunner. I did not mod the ailerons on the Sukhoi. Reme is the one who added an extra aileron servo to his UM Sukhoi.
oops thats right...
MikeRx is online now Find More Posts by MikeRx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Build Service
Old Feb 20, 2010, 02:54 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Minor Repairs

Well, I did a close inspection of my UM 4-Site and found some minor damage. Easy fix with white glue.
Old Mar 08, 2010, 01:41 AM
Joined Sep 2006
10 Posts
Flaperon Programming

Need help in programming my DX7 with AR6400L for 4-site plane. Unable to program the Flaperons function per Manual and this link http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...73&postcount=7. Any help??
mrtea is offline Find More Posts by mrtea
Old Mar 08, 2010, 02:39 AM
Joined Sep 2006
10 Posts
I find out the hard way for the Stick Programming of the Receiver. I try many times and not work. I finally realize that you need to set the Aileron and Elevator travel rate to 100% with no D/R. If not when you move the AILE/ELEV stick all the way to the bottom left max it will not reach the max value and the programming on the Receiver will not work. Though you all might want to know.. I will try to fly sometimes this week to see how it fly since I just got it and never flown it yet.
mrtea is offline Find More Posts by mrtea