Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:27 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Tug,

Questions..
should the two little spreader bar tubes on the shroud lines which have a slight bend in them .. be set pointing FWD or AFT to try to rake the mast FWD or AFT using that slight 15 ? degree bend that's in them.. ?

Where can I get some tips on tuning an IOM?

JimS
http://radiosailingshop.com.au/index...2f8925d9297da3
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:46 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577 View Post
For those who say Lipos are fragile, I have been using the same 1350 2S packs since 2007. They are not quite 1350 mah any more, but still work fine.
Wow you must be doing something right.. I think that's a record.. what I often find (depending a lot on the particular vendor and run) is they all tend to Puff after a few months. I've occasionally failed to turn OFF the plane or boat and running them down is very hard on LiPo's. I worry about fire while charging them too, and am just chicken I guess.. So, I did order a couple 6.6.vdc A123 Pacs. Partly cause Time is Money and I can Charge them safely a lot faster too.
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:47 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
Thanks for the tips Mike..
Say how much should an IOM weigh (min) if the Keel is OFF ?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:06 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
538 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the tips Mike..
Say how much should an IOM weigh (min) if the Keel is OFF ?
Keel and fin maximum is 2500 grams, boat complete minimum is 4000 grams.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:19 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack View Post
Keel and fin maximum is 2500 grams, boat complete minimum is 4000 grams.
Thanks Ted,
Im looking forward to weighing mine.. I've never felt a boat without a Keel on it before, it's amazing how light the hull /mast and rudder combo seems when simply lifted off the cradle.. I hope I don't need to add any weight but the hull seems a lot lighter than 5.5 lbs ( 2500 grams) to the touch any way. Hope to put in in the water tomorrow. JimS
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:36 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
822 Posts
don't get a heat gun anywhere near your sails you should be able to iron out the creases from the back of the crease just lay the sail on a flat surface and use a credit card or something not sharp that could cut the mylar you should be able to remove the crease but you will never remove the crease mark.

If they are really bad your best bet would be new ones as they are the engine of your boat!
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:02 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,094 Posts
Well done Tony at the worlds
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:35 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
Well done Tony at the worlds
Thanks Mike,
It was a brand new unsailed boat/rigs so I tried my best even managing a 4th in 'A' fleet I'll post more info on the marblehead thread.
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined Jan 2006
562 Posts
Quote:
Wow you must be doing something right.. I think that's a record.. what I often find (depending a lot on the particular vendor and run) is they all tend to Puff after a few months. I've occasionally failed to turn OFF the plane or boat and running them down is very hard on LiPo's. I worry about fire while charging them too, and am just chicken I guess.. So, I did order a couple 6.6.vdc A123 Pacs. Partly cause Time is Money and I can Charge them safely a lot faster too.
I wont say that I have never puffed a pack. I have killed one or two when I left them plugged in. Once you run them down to nothing, time to throw them away. Now that packs are less than $10 its not a big deal. when I bought the 1350's back in 07 they were $30+ per pack. I think the TX packs were over $50.

Care is pretty simple, charge at 1C before use, then only discharge about half way. Then let them sit until the next regatta.
I have found that with an RMG I only pull 400 to 600 mah out in 3 hours of racing. So two packs will last the day, switching at lunch. Funny thing is my rg65 with conventional rig pulls far more mah out of the packs. In a half day on it, I would pull out 900+. So with that I needed 3 packs per day. No more than 2 hours per pack.
If I was starting out with a new boat I would sail for an hour then recharge to see how much you pull out. Then either set your sailing time to consume half the rated pack capacity, ie if you used 200mah for an hour with a 1350 pack you can sail for 3 hours safely or if you consume 200 mah per hour and want to sail for 4 hours, then get a 1600 mah pack.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:58 AM
OlivierFRA100
Joined Nov 2006
168 Posts
Thanks for the tips ! What is your charger ?
FRA3700 is offline Find More Posts by FRA3700
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:05 AM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
783 Posts
I am running 500 mAh 3s LiPo in my boats. In heavy winds I'll use 300 mAh in 1.5 hrs. My radio has a timer of a max of 99.9 min, so I use that as my changing point.
They weigh 50 grams. Charge them at 1 A. It takes 10 minutes.
I ran them down to nothing couple of times when I exceeded that. Which is not a good thing.
They still take balance charge.
I have few packs for planes, which I refuse to charge at home, only out at the flying field. They are puffed, but still take charge.
Once they don't, I discharge them, take the leads of and dispose of them.

Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:59 AM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
538 Posts
This charger is a good deal and works fine:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

This is the battery I use:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6469

I also have some "Blue Lipo" but I haven't used them much and don't know how they will last.

As a side note, a RMG winch uses way less battery power than an arm winch because once the RMG is in a position it doesn't require any power to stay there while an arm winch must use power to hold it's position.

I just had to find out if water really is an enemy of LiPo batteries so I took and an old battery and threw it in a bucket of water....nothing happened. The FAA says to use water to put out a fire if a cell phone or computer catches on fire, they use Lipo batteries too.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:32 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack View Post
This charger is a good deal and works fine:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

As a side note, a RMG winch uses way less battery power than an arm winch because once the RMG is in a position it doesn't require any power to stay there while an arm winch must use power to hold it's position.
Hi Ted,
I have the same charger.. I did not know that RMGs use less power..that's very cool.. and a nice thing to know . I also measured the Rx and Rudder Servo Vltg it sends out on mine as exactly +4.95vdc so that's great too.

The thing that concerned me about the regular servos set up as winch or long arm servos is not the avg power drain but this one seems so strong I worry it would tear the pully fittings out of the boat if anything went wrong past Close-hauled..

http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-7950th_servo.html

and i assume it would need the continuous rotation mod which is open-loop to use it with with a drum winch, since I don't see how +/-180 would give enough sheet play without adding more block and tackle inside the hull..

This one would probably be Ok, but might not have enough turns
http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-785...rotations.html

If the RMG will keep it's IN and OUT point settings reliably, and work reliably I'll be very happy.. with it.. By the way i did also confirm I can adjust both set points a little as may be needed with the Tx throttle wiper trim, and its End Point % of Travel settings too.. and i was very glad to see that as well.. JimS

slotracer577..
all very good points Thanks a lot.. but I already committed and bought a couple of these. A123 Flight Packs. I would rather put the weight into a battery than lead.. and I suspect this new used boat of mine may be too light.. I will use more power than most as I make lots of mistakes and do more 360's than the avg IOM sailor by far..

http://www.radicalrc.com/category/A123-Cells-Packs-199
Last edited by jims123; Oct 22, 2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:29 PM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
New Zealand, Northland, Totara North
Joined Feb 2012
538 Posts
make sure you balance your lipos after sailing.
D design is offline Find More Posts by D design
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:16 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
IOM 150 re-maiden

IOM 150's re-Maiden (0 min 34 sec)

Hey
I'm very happy with how it went.. .. it didn't sink.... or leak a drop for that matter .. sailed about an hour.. plan to get a new A rig on order cause I doubt a credit card edge alone can take these creases out of the main..