Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Jan 09, 2016, 11:32 PM
Find More Posts by xsputnikx
United States, GA, Barnesville
Joined Sep 2006
151 Posts
Build Log
Great planes .40 cub

Hey guys here I go again. As some of you know I started a sig 1/6 cub I had a few issues with it and it made me angry lol so I set it to the side to build a little more user friendly kit.

I plan on doing the full length wing. Going to try and pick up a 4 stroke between .48-.60 size with a 12 oz dubro tank and 4 hitec 311 servos and a spektrum rx.

I learned a lot of what not to do on the last kit I built this time I brought in a extra table so I could stay a little more organized.

If all goes well on the build I will be dedicating this build to my son who will be delivered soon. In fact I'm sitting in the hospital emergency room while this is being posted. I've already made some progress and will post some more build pics when there isn't any daddy duties I'm needed for

xsputnikx is offline Find More Posts by xsputnikx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2016, 12:55 AM
Joined Sep 2006
151 Posts
Started here building the rudder pieces

Lil more progress easy peazy so
far

Man this prefab stuff could spoil someone
Last edited by xsputnikx; Jan 10, 2016 at 01:00 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 12:59 AM
Joined Sep 2006
151 Posts
Started working on the elevator

Lil epoxy and some added weight let that cure over night.

Old Jan 10, 2016, 01:02 AM
Joined Sep 2006
151 Posts
Completed the rest of the tail so far just working on it a couple hours a night. If the rest goes as smoothly I will be finished up with this one in no time.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 01:04 AM
Joined Sep 2006
151 Posts
Started working on the (right) wing even though plans call for left first I'm backwards

Got that completed
Old Jan 10, 2016, 01:06 AM
Joined Sep 2006
151 Posts
Started working on the left wing some tonight but had to stop to go to hospital anxiously waiting for my son to be born
Old Jan 11, 2016, 03:50 PM
Find More Posts by Thermalin
I'm a pilot, 100 yrs too late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
4,034 Posts
I built this with the clipped wing. It's an easy one to put together.

You may want to consider adding jury struts and spending a little time on the gear to make it look the part. Easy to do and really sets the plane apart from what comes out as the standard kit. I also found a neat way to secure the wheels which allowed for not having wheel collars and let me use hub caps I cut from the bottom of coke cans. I just hot glued them carefully to the rims. A inexpensive scale tailwheel rather than the called for wire coming out from rudder looks real nice too...

It was a great flyer till I lost it low in sun.. ooops . 12oz is a LOT of fuel. I had a 4 stroke .72 with an 8 oz tank and it was more than enough, even flying aerobatics.. Remember, 4 strokes sip less fuel than 2's.

Here is my thread on it which is long and tedious as I'm a slow builder but there are lots of pics. If noting else you may get some ideas on clamping things. I'm big on rubber bands
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...pics+your+cubs

Looks like you'll soon have two babies !! Congrats !!
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Last edited by Thermalin; Jan 11, 2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 05:57 PM
Joined Sep 2006
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin View Post
I built this with the clipped wing. It's an easy one to put together.

You may want to consider adding jury struts and spending a little time on the gear to make it look the part. Easy to do and really sets the plane apart from what comes out as the standard kit. I also found a neat way to secure the wheels which allowed for not having wheel collars and let me use hub caps I cut from the bottom of coke cans. I just hot glued them carefully to the rims. A inexpensive scale tailwheel rather than the called for wire coming out from rudder looks real nice too...

It was a great flyer till I lost it low in sun.. ooops . 12oz is a LOT of fuel. I had a 4 stroke .72 with an 8 oz tank and it was more than enough, even flying aerobatics.. Remember, 4 strokes sip less fuel than 2's.

Here is my thread on it which is long and tedious as I'm a slow builder but there are lots of pics. If noting else you may get some ideas on clamping things. I'm big on rubber bands
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...pics+your+cubs

Looks like you'll soon have two babies !! Congrats !!
Awesome I will go check out the build. I picked up a tail wheel already. I plan on doing as many scale features as possible. I also got a nice set of scale cub wheels I'm going to use. I'm still in the hospital so no work on the cub but this lil fella arrived at 8.05 pm
Old Jan 12, 2016, 03:29 PM
Find More Posts by RagwingFan
United States, TX, The Woodlands
Joined Jun 2015
266 Posts
Great kit.

I built a couple before they were laser cut. Nicer scale look than the Goldberg Cubs which I love for quick build Cub.

I did a clipped version with an OS 61 two stroke. She was a screamer. I did some minor mods. Also did a agriculture sprayer version as well.

Just a great kit to build and or bash.

I currently own a full length wing I bought second hand. I needed a quick Cub flyer to get back in the hobby and could not pass the deal.

Here's a pic of the Clipped and sprayer for grins.

Keep up the build pics..
RagwingFan is offline Find More Posts by RagwingFan
Old Jan 13, 2016, 09:37 PM
Find More Posts by CryHavoc
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
United States, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Apr 2000
2,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagwingFan View Post
Great kit.

I built a couple before they were laser cut. Nicer scale look than the Goldberg Cubs which I love for quick build Cub.

I did a clipped version with an OS 61 two stroke. She was a screamer. I did some minor mods. Also did a agriculture sprayer version as well.

Just a great kit to build and or bash.

I currently own a full length wing I bought second hand. I needed a quick Cub flyer to get back in the hobby and could not pass the deal.

Here's a pic of the Clipped and sprayer for grins.

Keep up the build pics..
Very interesting.

I also had a Goldberg clipped wing Cub. I had a K&B .65 Sportster in it with a 13x6 prop. My friends all called it the "Pylon" Cub. Was a real blast to fly and did the neatest flat spins on demand.

But I really like your "Cut-back Cub" crop duster. At first I thought it was just something you came up with but I see now that these were a real thing! Neat. I found a few pics.

A while back I bought a set of wings on a scratch and dent sale for one of Towers new ARF Cubs. The plan is to build a "Swizzle -Stick" style "Cub-Stick".

Mike
CryHavoc is online now Find More Posts by CryHavoc
Old Jan 14, 2016, 01:10 PM
Joined Sep 2006
151 Posts
That's cool ive nevere seen the cutback design before.

I finally got the wing halves joined. I think I ended up with more epoxy on me than the wing lol but I got it done
Old Jan 14, 2016, 09:10 PM
Joined Sep 2006
151 Posts
Ran into a bit of a small setback... still learning.

On step 11 installing aeleron servo when I glued the 2 basewood pieces in place that the servo mounts to. It gave me little to no room to actually drill pilot holes. I decided to make 2 new pieces from spare basswood I had laying around and figure out the holes first. This was easier for me to now line up the servo where it needs to go and glue back in place
Old Jan 15, 2016, 02:52 PM
Joined Sep 2006
151 Posts
It was late and I wanted to get some more progress made on the cub but I wanted to be fully awake and rested before I started putting the balsa sheets on the wing. So I went ahead and decide to start working on the fuse and here is what I got finished last night
Old Jan 16, 2016, 12:20 AM
Joined Sep 2006
151 Posts
Got the doublers glued onto both sides of the fuse. These actually took me longer than it should have when I realized I glued one on backwards lol... had to figure out a way to remove the part very carefully but got it done

Got the next fuse piece done
Old Jan 16, 2016, 05:52 AM
Find More Posts by CryHavoc
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
United States, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Apr 2000
2,063 Posts
Hey Sputnik, When you get done is there any chance of getting a copy of the plans? I was out in the garage and realized I have one of these kits!!! But the plans are missing and I now recall I never got them from the guy I got the kit from.

Mike
CryHavoc is online now Find More Posts by CryHavoc