sonnier00 is offline Find More Posts by sonnier00
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:07 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,560 Posts
hey Nathan,
Quote:
Olliw or Luv I got some tail twitching. I had the rate gain set at 1.70 then 1.23 and did not see much differences whats your suggestion?
I have absolutely no idea what a "twitching" tail is...

anyhow, if you are after a systematic tuning procedure set first I to zero. Then increase P step by step until the tail wags in hover. Reduce P such that the tail doesn't wag. Now increase I step by step until you are happy with the heading hold. Whenever you increase I you likely have to reduce P a bit to get rid of tail wag. Now do aggressive moves, when you observe tail wag reduce P a bit. That's it.
The default I value shouldn't be too bad, maybe its a bit too large. Since you have quite powerful motors I would think that the default P value is certainly too large.
As Luv said many other factors can come in. A rigid tail is one of them. Other parameters are also available, which hoever usally don't have to be touched. However, since you had the coaxmixer version before on the same heli, you have a good reference... with the gyromixer it should fly at least as good as that... if not, we need to do go a bit deeper into your setup
OlliW is offline Find More Posts by OlliW
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:46 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,763 Posts
Luv, I can appreciate what you're saying, but if guys go into this blindly and don't have the kind of background needed, I guess they're screwed except to come looking for help. If I look at the instructions that came with the gyro, for instance, it's nothing but gobbledegook. Looking for and trying to pick up a pattern of LED blinks was crazy. On top of that, most of us are stuck with imperfect weather that only lasts a few months anyway. I'm in my 7 months of crap weather. All I can do is hover in my basement rec room and recharge the batteries. I usually get myself a new heli or do a big upgrade for Christmas. This year, I'm not going to bother.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:28 AM
United States, TX, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2011
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW View Post
hey Nathan,
I have absolutely no idea what a "twitching" tail is...

anyhow, if you are after a systematic tuning procedure set first I to zero. Then increase P step by step until the tail wags in hover. Reduce P such that the tail doesn't wag. Now increase I step by step until you are happy with the heading hold. Whenever you increase I you likely have to reduce P a bit to get rid of tail wag. Now do aggressive moves, when you observe tail wag reduce P a bit. That's it.
The default I value shouldn't be too bad, maybe its a bit too large. Since you have quite powerful motors I would think that the default P value is certainly too large.
As Luv said many other factors can come in. A rigid tail is one of them. Other parameters are also available, which hoever usally don't have to be touched. However, since you had the coaxmixer version before on the same heli, you have a good reference... with the gyromixer it should fly at least as good as that... if not, we need to do go a bit deeper into your setup
Olliw I got it working I went back to and old thread where you explained what each parameter dose it's working good now just need to stop striping gears (big motors I thank is doing that when i hit the ground
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:16 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,763 Posts
The #1 rule in R/C is to cut the throttle before you hit anything. You're lucky if you don't take out an ESC if the blades stop and the motors are still under power. Stripped gears is not a problem we hear of on here.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Oct 2011
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
The #1 rule in R/C is to cut the throttle before you hit anything. You're lucky if you don't take out an ESC if the blades stop and the motors are still under power. Stripped gears is not a problem we hear of on here.
Yes that's a hard lesson to learn if you don;t shut it all down.
I thank my gear problem was the esc's and the motors. I reprogrammed the esc's to a softer start and set the timing to high and it's not happen now. The gears where having chunks of the gears taken out and was not having any blade stikes just hard starts. The high timing I thank should take some of the low end power out of the motors???
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:24 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,763 Posts
Yes, if you have high start-up torque, that might strip gears.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Oct 2011
202 Posts
good flight

Well i got my cx3 lined out. got the esc set at high timing and soft start giving it smooth start. The GA250 gyro mixer is working great nice and crisp. Motors 1810h12 ran a good 15 min on 11.4 1600mah did not use all the battery and only got warm to the touch.
It was about 55f out side and I was in shorts and a t-shirt and to me being a native Texan that's just a little tad bit cold dressed that way.
I will sit down and get some pics weights and all that to gather soon.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:11 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,763 Posts
Good to hear you've got it running. Any increase in mah capacity comes with increased weight. I guess there's a point where a certain size is good enough.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:31 AM
Joined Oct 2011
202 Posts
Quote:
Good to hear you've got it running. Any increase in mah capacity comes with increased weight. I guess there's a point where a certain size is good enough.
yep i hope so I need to move on to the next project
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:23 AM
Joined Oct 2011
202 Posts
Here is some pic to let you know what started all this fuss with my cx3. the xtreme pro 180s motors just would not fly this body.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:24 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,763 Posts
One piece fuses can be a real pain when it comes time to do any work on the heli.That looks like a nice one. I also like the Jet Ranger fuse.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Oct 2011
202 Posts
Quote:
One piece fuses can be a real pain when it comes time to do any work on the heli.That looks like a nice one. I also like the Jet Ranger fuse.
this one is cut in front of the rotor assy.. the thing like this Kamov KA58 in real life it's a coax heli . bad thing about mine I used the wrong paint about it made the lexan brittle and it did not last first oops.
Last edited by sonnier00; Nov 16, 2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Oct 2011
202 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving to you all

Happy Thanksgiving to you all
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:20 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,763 Posts
If we're on here talking about our toys, we have a LOT to be thankful for!!