HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2005, 12:47 AM
Carbon based lifeform
Copenhagen
Joined Apr 2005
257 Posts
Will I need smaller TR blades for the belt drive ?

Waiting for a bunch of stuff comming from Matt, including a TR belt drive, I began reading up on the original product thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156857

In the thread Matt starts out saying "I am running the smaller nitro LMH tail blades with the belt" but later on he says "No added parts are neccessary".

I am a bit confused, the thread starts out a bit ambiguous about this and Matts website says nothing about aditional requirements such as smaller TR blades ?

Later on in the thread, Matt is more head on about the blades:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Mod Man
I do recommend the nitro tail rotor blates when using the belt drive, not because there is a performance advantage. In fact the tail control is slightly crisper with the stock Corona tail blades. However, the reason I recommend the nitro tail blades is because they are lighter, more flexible (and therefore more durable) and they look much more to scale than the huge Corona tail blades. And, since the tail rotor speed is so drastically increased, the nitro tail blades are more than sufficient to control the Corona. Actually, I have found that the tail response is a bit more tame, while still retaining a strong amount of directional control.
So to summarize, I can use my stock 120 blades with no penalty but can get greater looks, a small decrease in weight and more durability at the cost of sligthly lesser tail response with the 110 blades ?

/Brian
brian.pedersen is offline Find More Posts by brian.pedersen
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2005, 03:47 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
In the case of the Craz-e-tail you have to use smaller blades. Whether you cut 1/4" off your 120 blades or use 110 blades is upto you. The Craz-e-tail kit does come with a set of premodded 110 blades though.

I also recommend the 110 blades. For all the same reasons as Matt. You'll probably also find you get too much tail wag with the 120 blades...
aragon is offline Find More Posts by aragon
Old Sep 07, 2005, 04:02 AM
Carbon based lifeform
Copenhagen
Joined Apr 2005
257 Posts
Im going for a straight tail for now, not the Craz-e-tail.

The reason I ask is that I have three pairs of brand new 120 TR blades that I would prefer to use, but then again, if it takes an extra 10$ to get the most out of my new tail drive I will order the 110 blades and give away my three pairs of 120 blades.

1/4" does not sound like very much, sorry for thinking in metrics but that would be something like 6mm ? Should the cut-away be length-wise ?

Thanks...
/Brian
Old Sep 07, 2005, 04:43 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
Sounds like we're in a similar situation. I have 3 unused 120 tail blade packs in my spares box too. No intention of using them. I like the 110 blades too much.

Yes, 1/4" is 6.25mm.

If you decide to get 110 blades, ask Matt what he charges for his. The ones he sells are premodded to fit the Corona better. (enlarged mounting holes, gyro tabs removed)
Old Sep 07, 2005, 05:23 AM
Carbon based lifeform
Copenhagen
Joined Apr 2005
257 Posts
Thanks aragon, I will do that.

I dont think Matt has shipped my order yet, so I might be able to have it bundled in my current shipment.
Might as well get an extra belt too while Im at it, I noticed a few posts regarding broken belts.

/Brian
Old Sep 07, 2005, 06:56 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,728 Posts
Quote:
Should the cut-away be length-wise ?
Sorry to but in Aragon, but it should be at the tip of the 120's rotors. Which I learned from Aragon also.

I love the belt drive and I believe my first belt wore out because it wasn't the new kelvar and because I may have had it too tight.

If you do experience tail wag (which evidently many people don't) and you cannot fix it otherwise, just go ahead and get the gy401 with an s9254 servo. That will do the trick.

I also run the 110 blades and they are super, looks-wise and durability. You still have great tail authority.

LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Sep 07, 2005, 07:11 AM
Carbon based lifeform
Copenhagen
Joined Apr 2005
257 Posts
Thanks LcJ

Think I will go for the 110 blades and keep a pair of 120's as spares.

Im glad to hear that the kevlar belts are stronger, think I will order a spare belt anyhow to avoid downtime.

The gy401/s9254 are scheduled for my next upgrade, I currently have GWS PG-03/HS80 and I am uncertain how steady that will be.

/Brian
Old Sep 07, 2005, 07:44 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
I think the tail wag belt drive issue only yields itself with heading hold gyros...

Good idea to get a spare belt. Cheap insurance. I do the same. Now if only I had bought a spare power system...
Old Sep 07, 2005, 08:36 AM
Master ReKitter
San Diego,Ca, USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,756 Posts
Will the 110 TR blades work with the wire drive? I have a set that I tried on my Blade with dual belts, but could never get the tail squared away. I never did get the 9254 servo, and decided to temporarily shelve this heli until the BT cp head is available. Right now I'm flying the Chopper1 frame with the BT swash and V2 head and it works pretty good with the 120 blades, HS81 and wire drive. I would prefer the 110 TR blades to stay off the grass better and it looks better. Anyone use these blades on a wire drive? BTW, I'm using the LMH MR gear drive as well...
uglyplane is offline Find More Posts by uglyplane
Old Sep 07, 2005, 08:39 AM
Master ReKitter
San Diego,Ca, USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragon
I think the tail wag belt drive issue only yields itself with heading hold gyros...

Good idea to get a spare belt. Cheap insurance. I do the same. Now if only I had bought a spare power system...
Hi aragon, did you get your power system fixed/replaced? I started using the Trex canopy and noticed a rise in motor/ESC heat right away. There is a triangular line traced in the bottom of this canopy, so I cut it out and dremeled it smooth so the ESC is way cooler now. The motor is still exposed pretty well...

Old Sep 07, 2005, 09:01 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,728 Posts
Ugly,
That is a beautiful bird. I mean really nice!

Is that a 5 mm ti shaft? Your are running a ParkBec? Have you considered some small computer fans?

I always have questions. Sorry.

BTW, I am running my Servo Sense with the ParkBec. It is easier to get the BEC away from the RX.

Aragon, I just learned something else from you about the wagging only affecting HH gyros. But it did affect my 240 even when it wasn't in HH mode. I also could not get the wag stopped with the 240 and the s9254. It took the 401 and s9254 to do it.

Brian,
I keep a spare of most things. It truly works out better. Nothing worse than good conditions and a broken bird!

Peace,
LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by LcJ; Sep 07, 2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2005, 10:51 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyplane
Will the 110 TR blades work with the wire drive?
They should work. You will probably notice a bit less authority though.
Old Sep 07, 2005, 11:00 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyplane
Hi aragon, did you get your power system fixed/replaced? I started using the Trex canopy and noticed a rise in motor/ESC heat right away. There is a triangular line traced in the bottom of this canopy, so I cut it out and dremeled it smooth so the ESC is way cooler now. The motor is still exposed pretty well...
Hey Bill. My replacement ESC should be arriving any day now. My Mega motor is going to be a while still... a long while. I'm actually not waiting for it. I have a Hacker C40-12L on order. When my Mega comes back it'll be kept spare or used in a TRex or a second Corona....

Your C1 Corona is looking good.

LcJ, noted! With mine I found that the wag stopped as soon as I dropped down to non-HH mode.
Old Sep 07, 2005, 06:13 PM
Master ReKitter
San Diego,Ca, USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ
Ugly,
That is a beautiful bird. I mean really nice!

Is that a 5 mm ti shaft? Your are running a ParkBec? Have you considered some small computer fans?

I always have questions. Sorry.

BTW, I am running my Servo Sense with the ParkBec. It is easier to get the BEC away from the RX.

Aragon, I just learned something else from you about the wagging only affecting HH gyros. But it did affect my 240 even when it wasn't in HH mode. I also could not get the wag stopped with the 240 and the s9254. It took the 401 and s9254 to do it.

Brian,
I keep a spare of most things. It truly works out better. Nothing worse than good conditions and a broken bird!

Peace,
LcJ

Thanks LcJ, The canopy was 100% finished and are only $11 at www.allerc.com It has been flying great with the BT swash and v2 head. That, coupled with the C1 frame and moving the batt waaaaay forward has helped FF immensely! My FF is much better and less butt puckering (and I'm even overflying a small creek!) than ever. I would like to get the BT rocker and BB's and maybe Danno's LG and I should be done with..
It is a 5mm shaft and I haven't needed the Parkbec, so I'll save it for a ship with more servos...
I'm glad a 9254 will fix the wag issue! I couldn't fix it! I will go to that on my cp machine...