SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2004, 03:47 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
FAQ
Chat 101

I have noticed a great deal of new user traffic to the chat site lately, so I wanted to put together a guide to help people along.
  • What is it?
    The chat site is a live, interactive, family friendly conversation with people around the world.
  • What is it about?
    Anything and everything radio controlled. By air, by land, or by sea, if its operated remotely, its more than welcome. This includes supporting subjects like technical information (setup tips, hardware information, etc..), DIY electronics and parts fabrication, and flying tips, as well as general "hey, guess what I crashed" conversation.
  • Who is it for?
    You, your flying club, your children, your next door neighbor, anybody who is interested in talking about R/C. People of all ages, race, nationality, skill level, and knowledge are welcome.
  • When can I chat?
    Anytime day or night. There is generally an active conversation running 24 hours a day. Many of the users are from different countries/time zones.
  • Are there any rules?
    Yes, the same rules that apply to the forums apply to chat. We try to maintain a family friendly environment that everybody can enjoy.
  • Where is it? How do I connect?
    You can connect to the chat server in several different ways:
    -web client at http://rcgroups.com (chat link on left)
    -web client at http://chat.rchomepage.com
    -web client at http://nihil.rchomepage.com/chat/ (shameless I know )
    or, you can use a chat/IRC specific client such as:
    -*IX Irssi, EpicSol, BitchX
    -Windows mIRC, Klient, Xircon
    -OSX IRCle (some *IX clients will also work with OSX)
    -Amiga AmIRC
    -All XChat
    -Android AndChat
    -iOS Mango Lite

(note: these clients are not in any way endorsed or guaranteed fit for use by RCGroups, its affiliates, or my dog. The links are provided for your convenience.)

The server information for these clients is:
    Server/host: irc.rcgroups.com (irc://irc.rcgroups.com:6667)
    Port: 6667
  • Why wont the web client work with my browser?
    There are a number of different browsers available and not every version of every browser will work. Browsers that have been tested to work are recent versions of:
    -Firefox/Mozilla
    -Netscape
    -Opera
    -Internet Explorer

If are using another browser, please add it to the list in a reply to this thread.
  • Why does my name show up as 'Unregistered', and how can I fix it?
    You will show up as an unregistered user if you use a web client before logging into the forums. To fix this, either log into the forums before using the web client, or type /nick MyNewName in the chat window.
  • Which channel/room do I join?
    The general chat area is #rcgroups, but there are several other established channels/rooms that are busiest during the scheuduled chats.
  • There are a lot of people, but only one or two talking. Why?
    Many users choose to leave their session open around the clock, and turn to it during free moments (while glue dries is a popular one). You are welcome to do the same.

I hope that covers the basics, please feel free to chime in with comments or questions.
nihil is offline Find More Posts by nihil
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by nihil; Apr 16, 2012 at 10:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2004, 10:22 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Links to currently available channels.

Here are some links to the more common channels/rooms for users who can use clickable irc:// links.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by nihil; Jan 06, 2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:11 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Just a heads up to anyone trying to find the chat through this thread.

Update thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1831021

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Many of you may not even know that until recently, RCG had a chat feature. Several years ago there was a box on the main page for it, and traffic was high and regular. That box was removed (presumably to make room for more ads) and while traffic did drop a bit it was still active right up until the last day. We had a core group of about 20 regulars that stayed connected pretty much 24/7, and several daily "hit and run" users who would stop in for advice.

I held the keys for the last 8 years or so, and am truly sad to see it go. Good friendships were made, and it was a part of many of our daily lives.

Contrary to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/chat.php
This RCGroups Chat feature has been removed due to lack of interest. If you have a question or would like to share something, please use the RCGroups forums.
There is enough interest that I have set up a backup for us on my personal server. You can connect via the web interface located here:

https://ndnihil.org/rcg

Or you can point any standard IRC client to:
Server: irc.ndnihil.org
Port: 6667
Channel: #rcg

Anyone and everyone is welcome to come and talk about a wide range of mostly technical topics covering, and extending beyond RC. Hope to see you there.

-nihil
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by nihil; May 09, 2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:35 PM
Joined Nov 2011
5 Posts
Although i'm not to active on the forums itself, i am active in the chat as i prefer direct real-time discussions. And i must agree with Nihil that there are still people who want to seek help in the chat as we had have regular traffic of RCG users looking for help with their models or technical advice. Some of us keep their client open 24/7, 365 days a year (if you not count the days when we have some technical problems of our own ;> :P ) so each and every person found some help among us (as long as he/she stayed few minutes before we could read it).

I hope that RCG will reconsider bringing back the chat feature. There's still lots of potential in it. You guys just don't see it.

Regards,
Bushman
InnerBushman is offline Find More Posts by InnerBushman