HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2014, 01:24 AM
Chino
Joined Aug 2008
597 Posts
Discussion
Speedo and a 1 cell lipo?

I've heard of guys running 1 cell lipos in DLGs and I've been tossing around the idea of doing this to my speedo build as its the only battery I have that fits and I don't build custom backs and skip miller is terrible for this(waited over a month just to get my order canceled). Can anyone think of pros/cons to this setup?
I searched and couldn't find anything. THANKS!!
Think4WD is offline Find More Posts by Think4WD
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2014, 01:45 AM
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Apr 2010
418 Posts
I'll start by saying please don't, in the most polite calm rational voice possible. You need the weight of standard Nimh batts to balance anyways..
This subject was discussed at length in a thread recently, please take a look.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2079576
I you really don't want the pain in the butt task of stuffing a Nimh pack maybe a LiFe2 cell stick pack would fit. I will try and find a source for you.
Hopefully some of the guys racing speedo's in the Bay Area will chime in. In the meantime here is a pic of my 3in a triangle w one in front in my speedo.
Happy and safe flying
James
Redfarren is offline Find More Posts by Redfarren
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:32 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,284 Posts
Lipos have no place in

Smashed
Lost
Or
Pulverized
Eventually

kinds of planes in dry areas of California.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:39 PM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,037 Posts
Just do it!

I ran a Single Cell LiPo with a Regulator to 5.1V in my Swiss Moth, with no concern. Your only real concern will be running it dry, but with a 3 servo setup, you should get a good flight.

Just bring a field checker and check it regularly
chip.greely is offline Find More Posts by chip.greely
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:42 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,776 Posts
I always crash my Speedo's. That's what they're for, in a way.
I just think lipo and a pinched wire, on a parched hillside with fast wind blowing a spark right up the hillside.

Oh yeah, and you'll just have to go buy more lead to re-balance it.
cityevader is offline Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:16 AM
Chino
Joined Aug 2008
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip.greely View Post
Just do it!

I ran a Single Cell LiPo with a Regulator to 5.1V in my Swiss Moth, with no concern. Your only real concern will be running it dry, but with a 3 servo setup, you should get a good flight.

Just bring a field checker and check it regularly
Chip tell me more on how to get 5.1V from a 3.7V battery? Is there something Im missing because that sounds like what I need.

As for the lipo vs no lipo thing on a slope I won't get into that debate other then to say I know tons and tons of members on here who do it. I already run LiFe batteries in some of my planes but don't worry I have a fire extinguisher in my car
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:19 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,776 Posts
Obviously location is key. No vegetation to burn, no problem.
Voltage boosters. Common in flashlights (my last hobby).
cityevader is offline Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:16 AM
Who let the dogs out?
Pontefract, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2007
1,071 Posts
Our group use single lipo cells extensively, without boosters.
It depends on your particular receiver - Frsky for example is perfectly happy running directly from a single cell. Its all down to the 3.3v regulator inside the rx and how it behaves with a low overhead, and Frskys low dropout reg behaves perfectly. Spektrum seems to have less tolerance of low v.
The servos are slightly slower but modern servos are so much faster than the traditional S148's etc anyway.
However, here in soggy Blighty I'd not considered the fire aspect - that is a valid point.
Cheers
Phil
phil_g is online now Find More Posts by phil_g
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:46 PM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4WD View Post
Chip tell me more on how to get 5.1V from a 3.7V battery? Is there something Im missing because that sounds like what I need.

As for the lipo vs no lipo thing on a slope I won't get into that debate other then to say I know tons and tons of members on here who do it. I already run LiFe batteries in some of my planes but don't worry I have a fire extinguisher in my car
Here's the Build Log for my 7oz Swiss Moth where I used a 1S1P LiPo with a Buck Boost Regulator. Delivers a constant 5.1V until it just can't. Single Cell LiPo is pretty easy to charge too, with no risk of imbalance cells/cell.
chip.greely is offline Find More Posts by chip.greely
Old Aug 28, 2014, 01:30 AM
Chino
Joined Aug 2008
597 Posts
Thanks for all the responses!