HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2013, 11:26 AM
United States, MA, Framingham
Joined May 2013
52 Posts
Discussion
XO-1 Crazy Fast but What's the best ALTERNATIVE?

OK - so the XO-1 is down to $660 or less. It's gotten awards. It's a lot less money now. It can go crazy fast ........ BUT
It crashes regularly at high speed.
It's not known for it's handling.
At 1/7th scale, it can't be raced with 1/8th cars.
SO ..........
What to buy and/or build that will go super fast but HANDLE WELL (and not shred tires) that's in the 1/8th class?

PLEASE list all the components of your build (including where they were sourced).
KumaBear is offline Find More Posts by KumaBear
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2013, 03:07 PM
Cookie
Australia, NSW, Petersham
Joined Sep 2005
1,178 Posts
I'd say this would handle better than the X01. Probably eat it for speed too...

http://motonica.com/en/products/P81RS3-ELECTRON_130
10x8 is offline Find More Posts by 10x8
Old Oct 12, 2013, 04:47 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,511 Posts
I've seen Vorza Flux cars also doing decent speed runs, but being far more flexible than the XO-1 as it comes to being able to handle more different surface conditions.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:17 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x8 View Post
I'd say this would handle better than the X01. Probably eat it for speed too...

http://motonica.com/en/products/P81RS3-ELECTRON_130
I would doubt it has a higher top speed, anything set up for racing on a track will be geared towards best performance on that track, not highest top speed in a wide open lot.

There's no point to having a top speed higher than you can hit on the track, so it would be geared shorter for faster acceleration and less heat.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Oct 13, 2013, 09:47 PM
Cookie
Joined Sep 2005
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I would doubt it has a higher top speed, anything set up for racing on a track will be geared towards best performance on that track, not highest top speed in a wide open lot.

There's no point to having a top speed higher than you can hit on the track, so it would be geared shorter for faster acceleration and less heat.
KumaBear asked about a 1/8 class electric car that can race & will handle wparsons! Not a 'wide open lot'.

Again, the Electron will eat traxxas for speed and handling.
Last edited by 10x8; Oct 13, 2013 at 09:48 PM. Reason: inform a newbie
Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:41 AM
Joined May 2013
52 Posts
The Motonica looks really nice.
On the other hand, it still needs:
esc
motor
body (or body paint)
wheels
tires
batteries
What would you veterans choose to finish it out?
By the way, AMain has it listed at $750 but they're out of stock.
You can also order it from China at Aliexpress - $669 shipped (and $165 for what looks like a multi-part aluminum upgrade kit). By the way, those folks tend to be negotiable - particularly on a group buy. (We ought to consider Group Buys from China sometime.)
So the BIG QUESTION: What would the Electron total cost be (bought in the US) and finished out nicely?
The HPI Vorza is a different animal but Tower has it at $585 after coupon code and all it needs are batteries.
About racing the Electron - it might appeal to some but it wouldn't be necessary for everyone. Bashing in (huge) lots might be fun and it looks like it would handle in addition to going fast (unlike what I hear about the XO-1).
Old Oct 14, 2013, 07:38 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x8 View Post
KumaBear asked about a 1/8 class electric car that can race & will handle wparsons! Not a 'wide open lot'.

Again, the Electron will eat traxxas for speed and handling.
You clearly missed the point of what I said... I wasn't suggesting the X0-1 would be better for racing, but do you honestly believe that a car built and geared for track racing will have a higher top speed than the X0-1???

Yes that car will eat an X0-1 around a track, but for flat out top speed the X0-1 will definitely come out on top. 1/8th scale tracks aren't nearly big enough to hit 100mph so there's no point in having a car geared for speeds that high.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 02:46 AM
Cookie
Joined Sep 2005
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KumaBear View Post
The Motonica looks really nice.
On the other hand, it still needs:
esc
motor
body (or body paint)
wheels
tires
batteries
What would you veterans choose to finish it out?
By the way, AMain has it listed at $750 but they're out of stock.
You can also order it from China at Aliexpress - $669 shipped (and $165 for what looks like a multi-part aluminum upgrade kit). By the way, those folks tend to be negotiable - particularly on a group buy. (We ought to consider Group Buys from China sometime.)
So the BIG QUESTION: What would the Electron total cost be (bought in the US) and finished out nicely?
The HPI Vorza is a different animal but Tower has it at $585 after coupon code and all it needs are batteries.
About racing the Electron - it might appeal to some but it wouldn't be necessary for everyone. Bashing in (huge) lots might be fun and it looks like it would handle in addition to going fast (unlike what I hear about the XO-1).
Mate, searching I found $599us. I thought it included everything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
You clearly missed the point of what I said... I wasn't suggesting the X0-1 would be better for racing, but do you honestly believe that a car built and geared for track racing will have a higher top speed than the X0-1???

Yes that car will eat an X0-1 around a track, but for flat out top speed the X0-1 will definitely come out on top. 1/8th scale tracks aren't nearly big enough to hit 100mph so there's no point in having a car geared for speeds that high.
No worries Parsons,
Old Oct 15, 2013, 01:01 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,819 Posts
For $599 that's definitely just the rolling chassis of the Electron:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Racing-Car-Kit

If you want higher end parts figure another $500 for motor/esc/transmitter/receiver/servo, plus batteries and a charger if you don't have one already.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:45 AM
Joined May 2013
52 Posts
Definitely too rich for my blood - but it does look like it would be a great car.
Regards,
-Bob-
P.S. I'm starting to become interested in that Vorza though.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 07:24 PM
United States, WA, St John
Joined Jun 2012
593 Posts
Take a look at the Ofna DM One. It's an excellent kit and is a true 1/8th scale so should be legal for racing. Around $200 for the kit and then add your own electronics.
Jimmy the Heater is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy the Heater
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2013, 09:50 PM
Joined May 2013
52 Posts
The Ofna DM-1 Looks Really Good

Sorry for the reply delay - but thanks for what looks like an excellent lead.
I've been reading about the Ofna cars - the DM-1, the GTP2E Ultra, the LX2e Buggy, and the GTV2e.
It looks like they make excellent RCs. BTW, it looks like a lot of people are using them as platforms for speed runs that get up to and over 100mph - and yet it seems they're able to be set up to handle a lot better than the XO-1.
Regards,
-Bob-