Jacknetair
United States, TN, Copperhill
Joined Sep 2013
350 Posts
Maiden? not so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Glad it worked for you!

How do you like the plane? Did you have a good maiden flight?

-Brian
I took her out last evening and figured I had enough battery left because I hadn't flown it around on the battery yet but for some reason she just didn't seem to have enough power. Or she wasn't balanced properly because after taking off and on her climb out she veered off to the left and nosed in before I could regain control of it. Crunched the nose all up and plan on straightening with a hairdryer, then I need to glass it??. The nose seems awfully fragile. I also think I'll need to balance the blades too because it sounds like that sick one in the video of that gentleman from Nitro who balances his blades. I think those were the contributing factors to my apparent stall shortly after takeoff.
Jacknet is offline Find More Posts by Jacknet
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2014, 03:55 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topforce View Post
Hi guys I havent read through the whole post, so please forgive if this has already been discussed.

Im curious to know if the brick in the habu is better than the mig brick in terms of radio bind. I have crashed 1 mig, and sold another due to the brick failing in bind. The second one lost its ability to bind after a somewhat bouncy landing in soft grass. It flew great, went to land, then after I picked it up it would no longer respond to radio command, and when I tried to re bind, it would not bind. The as3x was also not twitching around. So, Is the habu brick better? I want another micro jet,, but the mig proved to be un reliable to me anyway.

Thanks!
What TX are you using? I've had 8 umx planes and not one has lost the ability to bind. I'm also on all the AS3X umx threads and it is not a common issue. Though a related issue is the failure to initalize when a DMX2 TX is used.

My guess is you're using a DX7 or futaba with module. Follow the advice stated in all the threads:
1) place the TX and plane a few feet apart,
2) point the tx antenna at the plane
3) stand between the tx and plane when plugging in the battery.

All that said the Habu uses the same board as the mig, just different programming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknet View Post
I took her out last evening and figured I had enough battery left because I hadn't flown it around on the battery yet but for some reason she just didn't seem to have enough power. Or she wasn't balanced properly because after taking off and on her climb out she veered off to the left and nosed in before I could regain control of it. Crunched the nose all up and plan on straightening with a hairdryer, then I need to glass it??. The nose seems awfully fragile. I also think I'll need to balance the blades too because it sounds like that sick one in the video of that gentleman from Nitro who balances his blades. I think those were the contributing factors to my apparent stall shortly after takeoff.
How much room do you have? how steep was the climb? what edf experience do you have?

after takeoff anything more than a 30* climb is to steep. you need to let the plane gain speed in a shallow climb. I flew my habu on this:

and it had enough power to fly. It was loud and definitely didn't have as much power as the new fan did but it flew. I fly from a confined area as well, I only have about 200ft to takeoff and turn and get above the treeline.

-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jul 17, 2014, 07:52 PM
Please excuse me..
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Feb 2011
784 Posts
Maidened tonight, wow what I nice flying airplane. No trim needed, I am in love with this plane already..
represent is offline Find More Posts by represent
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:43 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,279 Posts
Awesome man!
very fun little guy
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Aug 25, 2014, 04:41 PM
BM3
?EDM or EDF?
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Aug 2013
146 Posts
I am very curious to know if any of you have the UMX Mig-15 and how it compares to this UMX jet? Fly the same? Same build?
BM3 is offline Find More Posts by BM3
Old Aug 25, 2014, 05:23 PM
The Luftwaffle
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,074 Posts
Quite similar, but the habu is a bit faster.
Waffleman is offline Find More Posts by Waffleman
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:35 PM
Multifaceted Heli Nut
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Oct 2004
495 Posts
Quite similar - the MiG can fly slower

The UMX Habu is more precise and aerobatic than the MiG. The MiG airfoil is thick and flat-bottomed so it handles low speeds a little better but isn't as efficient as the Habu for inverted flight.

I own both and can't honestly say which I prefer. For flying in my front yard (close to the air space of a school gym), the MiG works great. For larger spaces the Habu is fun. I fly the Baby Bu without landing gear, love to do touch-and-go's on the driveway with the MiG.

Don 't know what else to add.
heli-headcase is offline Find More Posts by heli-headcase
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM
mdv
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2009
464 Posts
They are very similar but I would say the Habu can fly slower. It is much easier to land at slow speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-headcase View Post
Quite similar - the MiG can fly slower

The UMX Habu is more precise and aerobatic than the MiG. The MiG airfoil is thick and flat-bottomed so it handles low speeds a little better but isn't as efficient as the Habu for inverted flight.

I own both and can't honestly say which I prefer. For flying in my front yard (close to the air space of a school gym), the MiG works great. For larger spaces the Habu is fun. I fly the Baby Bu without landing gear, love to do touch-and-go's on the driveway with the MiG.

Don 't know what else to add.
mdv is online now Find More Posts by mdv