HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2013, 04:04 PM
Joined Aug 2011
51 Posts
Help!
Fuel, keep?

My family is moving and I have some (2yrs?) old fuel and so...
To keep? or not to keep?, that is the question.

Info.
It used to be pink, now purple. (white tub for reference, the picture seems ever so slightly darker than it is but only slightly)
Stored in basement, lights usually off.
Lid on tight whole time but it is a modified lid.

I have been given some conflicting messages. Back when I was learning to fly I was told that once fuel darkened you could mix it to a point but if it was too dark better to throw it out. Couple years later a hobby shop I was told purple was ok.

Any help would be appreciated.
RetepTrun is offline Find More Posts by RetepTrun
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2013, 04:41 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,813 Posts
I've got some old, dark fuel like that. I've used it with no problems. No short term problems, anyway. So what I've been doing is mixing it in a little at a time with fresh fuel that I use to run older engines on my test bench. Figure I'll get rid of it that way without wasting it.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old May 04, 2013, 04:52 PM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,215 Posts
the basic ingredients will pretty much never go bad with reasonable storage so the change in color might just be the dyes going through some kind of degradation over time...shouldn't be a problem.

i've used all kinds of old fuel, even after being stored for over a decade in a blistering hot attic and have never had a problem.
ZAGNUT is online now Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old May 04, 2013, 05:25 PM
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Dec 2011
99 Posts
I have old fuel that is the same color as yours and it burns just fine. The one issue I have had with old fuel is the jug itself getting brittle and breaking on the bottom. If your not moving to far I would try to keep it but if its going for a long haul it may be safer to get rid of it.
miltac is offline Find More Posts by miltac
Old May 04, 2013, 05:28 PM
Joined Aug 2011
51 Posts
Ok, sounds like I should be alright keeping it
Thanks folks
Old May 04, 2013, 06:17 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,522 Posts
Two years old and sitting in a plastic bottle in a flight box after it was opened??? That is not what anyone would call proper storage. I 'd dump it. Use it to kill weeds.
datsunguy is offline Find More Posts by datsunguy
Old May 04, 2013, 08:01 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
You have nothing to loose trying some out and see how the engine runs.

That would answer your question much better.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 04, 2013, 08:31 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,292 Posts
If it's going to be a while before you get a chance to use it again, I'd give it to an active flier/buddy to use up. Beats tossing it a year from now....
ahicks is online now Find More Posts by ahicks
Old May 04, 2013, 10:29 PM
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
When we got back into flying 3 years ago I had a gallon that I bought in '91, it ran just fine.
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut
Old May 05, 2013, 12:05 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,522 Posts
And I bought almost 100 gallons 15 years ago but they were stored in a light free constant temp room in unopened cans and plastic bottles like the manufacturers say. The fact that his changed color is a dead giveaway that it probably is no good.
Old May 05, 2013, 01:05 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by datsunguy View Post

And I bought almost 100 gallons 15 years ago but they were stored in a light free constant temp room in unopened cans and plastic bottles like the manufacturers say. The fact that his changed color is a dead giveaway that it probably is no good.
You did not say if your 15 year old fuel has changed color nor if it has not changed color.

Zor
Old May 05, 2013, 03:34 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,813 Posts
I'd say that the fact that people all over RCG and RCU have had fuel turn color, stored it in the cold, stored it in the heat, stored it in the dark, stored it in the light, etc, etc and when it still fired an engine up, it was an indication that it WAS good. If it had congealed or had some type of contaminant floating in it, I probably wouldn't use it, but people over and over have had fuel sitting for years under all sorts of conditions and it worked just fine. If I was competing, I probably wouldn't use it. If I had an expensive Jett engine or something, I probably wouldn't use it. If you're mixing your own fuel with methanol and castor, you're probably not going to notice any color variations. Vendors that add "additives" and ones like Morgan who add colorants to differentiate between mixes like Omega and Cool Power are going to see some color changes under less than ideal conditions. An average Joe flying sport planes on the weekend is going to fuel that up, whup that prop and if it fires, he's going to fly that gallon out. I have.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old May 05, 2013, 04:08 PM
Joined Aug 2011
51 Posts
The lid being on it I think it will be ok if I keep it till I am moved and then see if it burns. Cant test it now because the glow ignitor batteries have not been cared for, havent paid for club membership. Hopefully it will be less mosquitoey whatever new club I got to and I will get back into flying.
Old May 05, 2013, 05:20 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor View Post
You did not say if your 15 year old fuel has changed color nor if it has not changed color.

Zor
It's Exactly the same color as when it was new. Plus it's a little hard to see through a metal can and I'm not going to open every one to see. As I use it I pour it into my flight box can and it's still the same pink color. The Fuel in the plastic bottles does not have a dye in it and is still the same light tan color it was when I bought it.

Guess I'm just "Joe Average" even though I flew in scale contests for years. Even flew in the QSAA fly in in Las Vegas for 10 years until they discontinued it. Yup just good old Joe Average.
Old May 05, 2013, 10:05 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by datsunguy View Post
It's Exactly the same color as when it was new. Plus it's a little hard to see through a metal can and I'm not going to open every one to see. As I use it I pour it into my flight box can and it's still the same pink color. The Fuel in the plastic bottles does not have a dye in it and is still the same light tan color it was when I bought it.

Guess I'm just "Joe Average" even though I flew in scale contests for years. Even flew in the QSAA fly in in Las Vegas for 10 years until they discontinued it. Yup just good old Joe Average.

Thanks for the clarification datsunguy.
I have never used fuel that was more than about 2 years old but I keep my fuel tightly sealed when not used. I have not noticed any discoloraton either in that short time.

Zor