HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:02 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,115 Posts
Never mind. I just answered my own question. I looked in the manual on pg.3 under KIT INSPECTION, and called Hibbico Product Support. They asked my tower hobby customer number and they are sending me a prop as we speak ...no cost*
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:59 AM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
776 Posts
Calypso maiden

I maidened my Rx-R Calypso on Saturday. I am using TP ProLite 25C 3S 2100mAh batteries. The battery is placed with its aft end about 1/2" forward of the aft-most position. CG is about at the recommended starting point (1/4" forward of the spar.) I shimmed the horizontal stabilizer 1/8" aft.

Launching was a non-event. At full throttle, climb was very steep, but no drama at all. Climb can be almost vertical if I allowed it to be so. I found that I needed to input down elevator during climb. I could mix that in, but prefer to do it all with my thumbs. The plane is very easy to fly. Glide was impressively flat. Though it was not a "thermally" day, I was able to maintain altitude over the asphalt road and parking area of the park. There was no problem repeatedly turning to pass up and down that area. My first flight was approximately 20 minutes, using 566 mAh of the 2100 mAh battery.

I flew through three batteries on Saturday and again on Sunday. The only "problem" I had is that I took quite a lot of room to land. My flap linkage kit is due to arrive tomorrow.

I am very pleased with this plane. It's beautiful in flight.
ombudsman is offline Find More Posts by ombudsman
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:26 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Sep 2008
170 Posts
Calypso motor upgrade ?..........anyone have any suggestions on a higher perfromance motor that will drop in the Calypso......Hacker a20-20L ? Hobby King equivenlent?......
Kenbogunz is offline Find More Posts by Kenbogunz
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
My instructor gave mine a quick maiden flight on Thursday. With my having only a little over four hours, we thought it best if he did it, since we didn't have a Spektrum buddy cable.

There was a very thick and solid overcast which made it very difficult to keep track of when straight on either coming or going. It just disappeared to both of us, so it was a pretty short flight.

It flew right from a level launch at a bit over half throttle, climbed at about 45 degrees with more throttle, did a competent loop, a very sloppy roll and (in true Calypso tradition) overshot most of the runway on landing.

His comments were that it "...flies well, didn't seem to have much rudder authority, and only needed a few clicks of up trim."

I now have a buddy cable ready.
Himself is offline Find More Posts by Himself
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:10 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbogunz View Post
Calypso motor upgrade ?..........anyone have any suggestions on a higher perfromance motor that will drop in the Calypso......Hacker a20-20L ? Hobby King equivenlent?......
I was thinking the same thing. Right now I have a 2212/6 2200kv motor in it. I thought that this motor would be a improvement, but the motor is 6 or 7 size prop which suppose to produce 342 watts thus 32oz of thrust. Not more than stock matter of fact, the same. So I guess something that can put out -at the most - 40 oz of thrust... perhaps.
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:24 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbogunz View Post
Lord, man! What do you want to do with it? It climbs nearly vertically now! If yours doesn't, I wonder if you need batteries with a higher C rating? Now, I'm using a CC t-bird 36 esc, but I don't suppose that makes a difference (?)

Himself, I agree that the Calypso does not have a lot of rudder authority.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombudsman View Post
Himself, I agree that the Calypso does not have a lot of rudder authority.
Thank you. His sailplane is an electric Gentle Lady, so he is used to steering with his rudder with a lot of polyhedral.
Himself is offline Find More Posts by Himself
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:10 AM
Bone Breaker
Dallas , Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
I switched to a turbo spinner and a 10x6 prop. pulls 17 amps. Did a static run at full power for 45 seconds and the esc was pretty warm but not anything to worry about. Installing the flap servos before the maiden. I guess we will see if the power train can handle it. I like that it has a hefty carbon spar. The construction looks very good and it a beautiful plane.
Lammergier is offline Find More Posts by Lammergier
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:44 AM
Joined Jun 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
I maidened my Rx-R Calypso on Saturday. I am using TP ProLite 25C 3S 2100mAh batteries. The battery is placed with its aft end about 1/2" forward of the aft-most position. CG is about at the recommended starting point (1/4" forward of the spar.) I shimmed the horizontal stabilizer 1/8" aft.

Launching was a non-event. At full throttle, climb was very steep, but no drama at all. Climb can be almost vertical if I allowed it to be so. I found that I needed to input down elevator during climb. I could mix that in, but prefer to do it all with my thumbs. The plane is very easy to fly. Glide was impressively flat. Though it was not a "thermally" day, I was able to maintain altitude over the asphalt road and parking area of the park. There was no problem repeatedly turning to pass up and down that area. My first flight was approximately 20 minutes, using 566 mAh of the 2100 mAh battery.

I flew through three batteries on Saturday and again on Sunday. The only "problem" I had is that I took quite a lot of room to land. My flap linkage kit is due to arrive tomorrow.

I am very pleased with this plane. It's beautiful in flight.
Hi, can you show a picture of 2100mAh battery position? Thank you
cejas_99 is offline Find More Posts by cejas_99
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Jun 2012
12 Posts
Can I use this in the Calypso : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18115
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:48 AM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cejas_99 View Post
Hi, can you show a picture of 2100mAh battery position? Thank you
I'll be happy to, but it will be this evening before I can do it.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Jun 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
I'll be happy to, but it will be this evening before I can do it.
I'll be waiting, thanks again
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:01 AM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
624 Posts
could someone please tell me the diameter of the motor shaft?

I ordered the hobbyking park 450 motor for my arf and want to make sure it'll fit. The shaft on it is 4mm.
P.I.Engineer is offline Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:10 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,711 Posts
The output shaft on the Calypso motor is 3mm.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:14 AM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
624 Posts
ahh, ok, thank you

well i guess the park is going to the classifieds.
P.I.Engineer is offline Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer