SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:46 PM
USA, CA, Turlock
Joined Apr 2009
130 Posts
Question
how to fix this? cf tube tail boom

I got this glider for free and need to know hoe to fix cf tube next to where a nylon screw goes threw it to hold on the vtail the tail needs to stay light but i thought about if super glue will work hot glue is to flexable and heavy maybe superglue and something to reinforce it like some more tube. What should i do...also do harware stores carry nylon screws for holding the wing on? They are like 1/8" by 1" plastic screws.
getmeoutofiraq is offline Find More Posts by getmeoutofiraq
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2012, 04:12 AM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,698 Posts
Thats a awful lot of unnecessary weight to mount that tail. I would be tempted to remove all the hardware and glue the tail directly to the boom. If you had some carbon tow you could then wrap the weak area of the union and hit it with CA.
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:56 AM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,738 Posts
Hi Matt!

Yup. Tow and CA will fix it. To bad that tube was cut like that. I'd get rid of all that hardware and glue it,

The wing bolts are probably 6-32 screws and most hardware stores have them.

If you need some tow, PM me you address and I can send you some in a couple of days

Blue Skies.............................Tim
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:56 AM
USA, CA, Turlock
Joined Apr 2009
130 Posts
Well thos is my thoughts... Where The tail boom goes into the fuse its attached by 2 firewalls (lack of a better term) that have holes in them to recieve the tail boom. The control cables are going threw the tail then come out right above the vtail when the carbon tube gets cut down to half a circle and the vtail is mounted. This is a weak method for the tail. So i was thinking. But i dont know what the adverse effect would be, if i cut off the broken part (about 2 in.) and carbon towed it to a part that never been broke or cut in half and rerout the cables to outside the glider right before they hit the firewalls. The tail rods total length is about 2 ft and 2-3 inches is in the fuse and they use about 2 to attach the tail. Granted i know i will have to balance the glider again and find the cg and such but how will shortening the tail effect it. I was going to replace the tube but went to 2 hobbyshops that carry alot of rc stuff and neither one had tube big enough.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:59 AM
USA, CA, Turlock
Joined Apr 2009
130 Posts
Also i found that a arrow shaft is the right diamater to replace the rod but it is made of aluminum covered with carbon or plastic. Thought about using that and making up the weight by going to a pull spring control system instead of heavy cables.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:56 PM
USA, CA, Turlock
Joined Apr 2009
130 Posts
i used the ca and tow first i did it length ways and glued it then for twisting strength i spiraled it around the tube and glued it then removed the unneeded tow on the top since the carbon rod is cut in half in order to except the v-tail.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:00 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
579 Posts
I get all my CF stuff from this site.

http://cstsales.com/

I would get another CF rod the size you need and mount the tail feathers a different way. Replacing the cables with something lighter sounds like a good idea. Avoid cutting the new one in a half circle like that old one. That is why it failed in the first place. My 2 cents...
RCBlackSheep is offline Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:44 AM
USA, CA, Turlock
Joined Apr 2009
130 Posts
Well that was what i was planning but i went to the two rc hobby shops that i know of and both of them didnt have the bigger stuff. So i got the next best thing and will see how she hand launches this weekend cuz i dont have a high start. Thouht about going to slope soar at los banon this saturday but then i was thing how i might embarras myself.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:22 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofiraq View Post
Well that was what i was planning but i went to the two rc hobby shops that i know of and both of them didnt have the bigger stuff. So i got the next best thing and will see how she hand launches this weekend cuz i dont have a high start. Thouht about going to slope soar at los banon this saturday but then i was thing how i might embarras myself.
Go anyway... If theres other flyers there then ask for help to check out your plane before you fly it. If no one is there... its only you and god watching.
RCBlackSheep is offline Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep