HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2012, 08:48 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Dec 2005
279 Posts
Discussion
AUVSI Worried about shoot downs

AUVSI made the following press release today.

Today, the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI) released the following statement from President & CEO Michael Toscano in response to recent depictions in the media that put the unlawful destruction of unmanned aerial systems in a positive light

"To advocate for people to shoot down any object from U.S. airspace is irresponsible, dangerous and unlawful. Unmanned aerial systems are being designed to serve the public good, such as helping search and rescue officers find missing children, monitor weather and wildlife, provide disaster relief and respond to emergencies, as they did in the Fukushima nuclear crisis in Japan
last year. The myriad of important uses will be imperiled if they become targets. Meanwhile, the suggestion that Americans take up arms against unmanned aircraft also endangers citizens on the ground.

"AUVSI welcomes civil discussions about privacy and the proper uses of unmanned aircraft, but it cannot and does not condone violence against technology intended to keep citizens safe while saving taxpayer dollars."

Syndicated columnist Charles Krauthammer recently stated that unmanned aircraft should be banned entirely in the United States, and said that "I would predict -- I'm not encouraging, but I would predict, the first guy who uses a Second Amendment weapon to bring down a drone that's hovering over his house is gonna be a folk hero in this country."

The NBC television show "Harry's Law" also recently portrayed its main character shooting down a "drone" in just such a situation.

The Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI) - the world's largest non-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of unmanned systems - represents 7,000 members from 55 allied countries and 2,500 organizations involved in the fields of government, industry and academia.

www.auvsi.org
small_rcer is offline Find More Posts by small_rcer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2012, 09:34 AM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,381 Posts
Already been done at a pigeon shoot - some animal activist group had a quad up and someone with a shotgun shot it down.

Coming from the great state of "Hold my beer...." and "Hey y'all watch this!" I can say that we have tried to shoot ours down and it ain't easy from 400 feet! Quadcopters on the other hand, are VERY easy to shoot down, either with a shotgun or a .22 as they sit and hover.
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old May 18, 2012, 11:10 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,543 Posts
If it’s flying over your property without permission that trespassing so you should be able to take some action. If law enforcement does it they would need a search warrant or that would also be illegal. I think there is some prevision in the law that if it’s lower than a certain altitude it’s violating your personal space but I’m not sure about the exact altitude.

If it were in the city shooting would not be legal so maybe some sort of jamming would be appropriate. The legal system is going to have a lot of work over the next few years to get this all worked out. Ultimately the Supreme Court may have to make a ruling about what actions are legal when someone violates your privacy.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old May 18, 2012, 01:47 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,381 Posts
..and THAT has already been done!

Supreme Court ruling Barbara Streisand vs. Aerial Photographer - reasonable expectation of privacy. If the picture was incidental to, and not the focus of the intent, then there is no expectation of privacy.

The guy was doing erosion studies in Malibu and happened to get her beach front home in a picture and tried to sue. Didn't work.

Thanks Babs!
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old May 18, 2012, 08:13 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,838 Posts
We've got chubbier fish to fry! The whole industry has been shot down by the FAA and AUVSI issues this statement?!
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old May 20, 2012, 08:13 PM
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
1,655 Posts
We keep losing planes at the local field, some guy with a laser.
jglenn is offline Find More Posts by jglenn
Old May 22, 2012, 12:04 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Can't shoot it down legally just for flying over your property. If you think you own the air space, just ask the FAA! :P

Also, shooting down an aircraft that is not hovering is actually amazingly hard to do. The old foam Mig-27 targets flew lots of flights over heavily armed troops without a scratch.

Jimmy
jtprouty is offline Find More Posts by jtprouty
Old May 22, 2012, 01:43 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtprouty View Post
Can't shoot it down legally just for flying over your property. If you think you own the air space, just ask the FAA! :P

Also, shooting down an aircraft that is not hovering is actually amazingly hard to do. The old foam Mig-27 targets flew lots of flights over heavily armed troops without a scratch.

Jimmy
I thought that it had to be above a certain altitude before its considered public airspace. Something like 300 or 500 feet.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old May 22, 2012, 01:55 PM
Je vole donc, je suis.
Joined May 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexFlyer View Post
Already been done at a pigeon shoot - some animal activist group had a quad up and someone with a shotgun shot it down.

Coming from the great state of "Hold my beer...." and "Hey y'all watch this!" I can say that we have tried to shoot ours down and it ain't easy from 400 feet! Quadcopters on the other hand, are VERY easy to shoot down, either with a shotgun or a .22 as they sit and hover.

I'm not defending the actions of shooting down a UAV, but they were flying the quad over a trap shooting event in order to disrupt it; what did they think was going to happen?
oosnoopy is offline Find More Posts by oosnoopy
Old May 22, 2012, 02:09 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Nope, the FAA's viewpoint is that if yoi're off the ground, you're in "their" airspace. Heard it directly from them.

Jimmy
Old May 22, 2012, 02:23 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,838 Posts
That airspace allegedly starts at 1 inch off the ground!
Old May 22, 2012, 02:45 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Kinda hard to keep an Osprey in the "uncontrolled airspace"!
Old May 22, 2012, 03:45 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,838 Posts
Bad getting worse...

http://www.infowars.com/surveillance...paganda-blitz/
Old May 22, 2012, 05:34 PM
Je vole donc, je suis.
Joined May 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickegan View Post

We could use some good PR for a change. People tend to think of the worse when they hear the word drone.
oosnoopy is offline Find More Posts by oosnoopy
Old May 22, 2012, 07:36 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,838 Posts
None to be had a the HUFFPO