HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2011, 04:25 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,641 Posts
For that you'd need to know the maximum current draw at max throtle and had to assume that the current draw change is linear to the throtle change, or I'm getting the wrong idea here.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2011, 04:31 PM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
For that you'd need to know the maximum current draw at max throtle and had to assume that the current draw change is linear to the throtle change, or I'm getting the wrong idea here.
You could make a calibration and get a good approksimation. But as the batteries gets discharged - full throttle would suddenly result in a much lower current draw etc.

All in all, a cheap solution is great - but at this point I would rather spend 10$ on a current sensor
Dennis Frie is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Jul 28, 2011, 03:10 AM
Look Sideways at Polarisation
United Kingdom, England, Darlington
Joined Jun 2011
101 Posts
$10 is hardly breaking the bank now is it...

Excellent work Dennis
Funky Diver is offline Find More Posts by Funky Diver
Old Jul 28, 2011, 07:04 AM
Joined Jun 2009
16 Posts
Hi, where can I purchase current sensor for $10?

Sorry if I missed that information....

Hey, Dennis - I wish to thank you and at the same to shout at you - you made me spend over 2000€ because of your idea.

If you can not understand me because of my English - this is a joke somehow - I spend around 1500€ on aurdino stuff because your post reruted me into robotics and just did not have enough energy to buy some more aurdino systems and also robot parts to build my first autonomus robot. You opened a whole new world for me at just a proper time. I am moving to Sydney and I am allready afraid because if I would be able to regulary flight my biger planes such as FunCub there - so robotics will somehow fullfill my kids desire in me...

I plan to use DIY Osd in mini Skywalker for FPV, it has allready FY20 build in...

Tnx,
Regards Ales
mpesi1702 is offline Find More Posts by mpesi1702
Old Jul 28, 2011, 01:03 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
792 Posts
Quick update...
  • Top numbers replaced with large numbers instead.
  • Dimming added (see picture below)

Test with dimming (need to adjust resistor). It looks much better on a screen than the cheap video-grabber

(At this picture the reference voltage is set to ground and the video-signal is biased with a fast pwm output from the micro-controller. Sync is not too bad )
I don't really like the idea about dimming the background - but it's an easy solution to make the text readable with white background.

I have ordered a recorder, so hopefully I'll be able to get some ground-recording later.
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Jul 28, 2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 01:14 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpesi1702 View Post
Hi, where can I purchase current sensor for $10?

Sorry if I missed that information....

Hey, Dennis - I wish to thank you and at the same to shout at you - you made me spend over 2000€ because of your idea.

If you can not understand me because of my English - this is a joke somehow - I spend around 1500€ on aurdino stuff because your post reruted me into robotics and just did not have enough energy to buy some more aurdino systems and also robot parts to build my first autonomus robot. You opened a whole new world for me at just a proper time. I am moving to Sydney and I am allready afraid because if I would be able to regulary flight my biger planes such as FunCub there - so robotics will somehow fullfill my kids desire in me...

I plan to use DIY Osd in mini Skywalker for FPV, it has allready FY20 build in...

Tnx,
Regards Ales
Over 2000 €? wow :P
That's quite a few arduino's.

At the moment I use an Allegro ACS755 current sensor.
http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Produ...0755/index.asp
A friendly person here on RCG donated a few for this project - awesome

- but apparently they have been replaced with a newer version (ACS758);
http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Produ...0758/index.asp

I haven't checked the difference, but I guess it's more or less the same product.

Here in DK they cost around 10 $. On digikey they cost around 7 $
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=620-1320-ND

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...acs758&x=0&y=0
Old Jul 28, 2011, 02:52 PM
Italia, Lombardia, Milano
Joined Jun 2010
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Quick update...

I don't really like the idea about dimming the background - but it's an easy solution to make the text readable with white background.

I have ordered a recorder, so hopefully I'll be able to get some ground-recording later.
Hi Dennis, this job is great!
Please submit your modified schematic/arduino sketch with the new video-signal bias with a fast pwm because I want to start by myself some testings.

Ciao, Carlo
carlonb is offline Find More Posts by carlonb
Old Jul 28, 2011, 02:56 PM
Italia, Lombardia, Milano
Joined Jun 2010
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Quick update...

Please submit your modified schematic/arduino sketch with the new video-signal bias with a fast pwm because I want to start by myself some testings.

About dimming the background, i think it's possible add a jumper to enable/disable the dimming as you need.

Ciao, Carlo
carlonb is offline Find More Posts by carlonb
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:17 PM
FPV from Lithuania
Lithuania
Joined Mar 2007
128 Posts
Is there easy way to move top line more up and bottom line more down, basicly on edges? My cam outputs wide screen, so i have black lines at top and bottom, so i want to use this lines as backgruond.
vipix is offline Find More Posts by vipix
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:43 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlonb View Post

About dimming the background, i think it's possible add a jumper to enable/disable the dimming as you need.

Ciao, Carlo
Hi Carlon
Year the dimming can easily be turned on/off, but I would prefer a solution with black outlining.

Personally I prefer to have a pot to change reference voltage or bias voltage, but you can make it as you like. You might want to change the fast PWM to 9 bit for better accuracy.
At the moment the code is a mess. I will clean it a bit and upload.

Have anyone successfully used the code? I guess most of you guys are using NTSC?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:45 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipix View Post
Is there easy way to move top line more up and bottom line more down, basicly on edges? My cam outputs wide screen, so i have black lines at top and bottom, so i want to use this lines as backgruond.
You just need to edit the line-number, should take a couple of seconds

On my screen the text is almost at the top. When using the video-grapper the pictures is quite different. You can change it yourself and make it match your googles/screen.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:49 PM
Sverige
Joined May 2009
74 Posts
Nice work there Dennis, and thanks for sharing it! I've ordered one of those Arduino nano´s + GPS from DE, so hopefully I will be able to try it out!

Are you planning to design a PCB for it also? A simple single layer PCB that is easy to DIY would be a nice addition! I might give it a try myself, but I'm not sure I have the skill.. I'm struggling to learn Eagle right now, so we'll see where it ends up.. So far I've started working on the schematic, would be nice to have your input. Does it look right to you?

Do you think it's a good idea to use the onboard regulator on the nano to power it + the GPS, or would it be better to use an external reg? The datasheet says it can handle 6-20V input but recommends 7-12V, so I guess powering it from a 3S LiPo would be ok but 4S would be pushing it?

As you can see I've also added RSSI input (A3), battery voltage input (A0) + one extra analog input (A2) for future development.. Do you think there is enough processing power left to add those things?

Warning! Please be advised that this schematic is just a draft. It has not been tested and verified to work!

Schematic removed to avoid confusion.

/Andreas
andreas77 is offline Find More Posts by andreas77
Last edited by andreas77; Aug 22, 2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Removed schematic to avoid confusion
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:56 PM
Electronics slayer
Reading, UK
Joined Jul 2008
494 Posts
I've got the Arduino through the post today, but I'm struggling to get the current sensor from a supplier that doesn't want to charge 3 times the cost of the item to post it.

I wonder how far I can get without a current sensor and gps just to test the water?
SouthPawPaul is offline Find More Posts by SouthPawPaul
Old Jul 28, 2011, 05:44 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas77 View Post
Nice work there Dennis, and thanks for sharing it! I've ordered one of those Arduino nano´s + GPS from DE, so hopefully I will be able to try it out!

Are you planning to design a PCB for it also? A simple single layer PCB that is easy to DIY would be a nice addition! I might give it a try myself, but I'm not sure I have the skill.. I'm struggling to learn Eagle right now, so we'll see where it ends up.. So far I've started working on the schematic, would be nice to have your input. Does it look right to you?

Do you think it's a good idea to use the onboard regulator on the nano to power it + the GPS, or would it be better to use an external reg? The datasheet says it can handle 6-20V input but recommends 7-12V, so I guess powering it from a 3S LiPo would be ok but 4S would be pushing it?

As you can see I've also added RSSI input (A3), battery voltage input (A0) + one extra analog input (A2) for future development.. Do you think there is enough processing power left to add those things?

Warning! Please be advised that this schematic is just a draft. It has not been tested and verified to work!

/Andreas
Hi Andreas
I will get back to you tomorrow with a new schematic and updated component values. RSSI, battery voltage etc. shouldn't be any problem.

My current solution with a little add-on board to Arduino is pretty simple. I don't think it's worth the extra work to create a PCB as long as you use an Arduino board.
If you just want to use a simple Atmega 328 microcontroller (it's cheaper. See picture in post 1), then it makes more sense to create a PCB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPawPaul View Post
I've got the Arduino through the post today, but I'm struggling to get the current sensor from a supplier that doesn't want to charge 3 times the cost of the item to post it.

I wonder how far I can get without a current sensor and gps just to test the water?
You should be fine just with the Arduino. Off course you want get any data, but you can check that it prints the text correct, you can check the current-reading (simulated with a voltage on the input) etc. So no worries.
Check my latest pictures - that's with no GPS or current-sensor attached.

I hope you guys are aware that it's (for now) only compatible with PAL. I don't have a NTSC camera, so I can't make the NTSC version.
And the code is not too pretty
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Jul 28, 2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 03:38 AM
Joined Jan 2011
512 Posts
Denis-
If you are willing, I can drop ship a NTSC camera from HK to you. PM me your address if you're interested.
CheckSum is offline Find More Posts by CheckSum