HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2007, 08:38 PM
Joined Sep 2004
33 Posts
Discussion
Herr Micro Bonanza in Progress

Here are some shots.

I'm going with ailerons and elevator only. I have no idea what motor I'm going to use but something around 10oz of thrust brushless. So far, this thing feels light, maybe around 4-5oz so 9oz RTF would be perfect.

I had great luck with my Herr J-3 conversion so I'm hoping this will be the same.

Any thoughts on motors?

Mike
Tarver330 is offline Find More Posts by Tarver330
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2007, 04:07 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
You're gonna love the way these Herr conversions fly. I'm on my third. The Mustang. If she finishes up in the 9oz range consider using one of the 1500kv Blue Wonders and a GWS HD 8040 prop. You'll need some speed.
56S is online now Find More Posts by 56S
Old Dec 19, 2007, 04:36 AM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Mike ,
I'd second the Blue Wonder or something similar Which J3 did you do ? I did their 1/2A version and it is a great flyer at 21ozs. I also have their Corsair which flies excellent also with a E-Flite Park 300 on 3s . I am thinking of getting the 30" Ryan STA that they make also .

Good luck with the build Looking forward to more !

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Dec 19, 2007, 09:33 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
30" Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofrost
Mike ,
I'd second the Blue Wonder or something similar Which J3 did you do ? I did their 1/2A version and it is a great flyer at 21ozs. I also have their Corsair which flies excellent also with a E-Flite Park 300 on 3s . I am thinking of getting the 30" Ryan STA that they make also .

Good luck with the build Looking forward to more !

-John
Do it John,
A fun flier even with RET control. A UH 10gr outrunner powers mine and the 26gr lipo still has to be rear of the CG for balance. Mine came in right at 141gr. If I were to do it again ailerons would be added.

I too want more info on your J3 conversion.

Dan
56S is online now Find More Posts by 56S
Old Dec 19, 2007, 03:45 PM
It flew once before...
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Dan ,
I wasn't sure which J3 conversion you wanted to know about , but here is mine :
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=Herr+Cub

Just got to put the skis back on for the winter

-John
Old Dec 20, 2007, 12:45 PM
Joined Sep 2004
33 Posts
Herr Bonanza all finished....and flies too!

OK, here are some pictures of the finished bird.

-ailerons, (I was tired so I just used stock with lightening holes). Whatever, they need to be tough anyways due to no landing gear!

V-Tail, I sheeted the bottom with 1/32 balsa for stiffness

-Futaba micros on each ruddervator
-Hitec 55s on the ailerons (barely fit in the wing)
-Smallest Himax outrunner they had (I have no clue what it is but will look at the box later)
-Castle 10 brushless controller
-Futaba computer radio.
3 cell 1000mah lipo (way too much but all I had on hand) Maybe a 500 would be perfect weightwise
-little magnets holding the cowling on (with some tape for safety) and a single screw/pin for the wing
-Dubro stock micro hardware

-MIXING!!!

-ruddervator mixing
-aileron-rudder mixing just like the real bonanza
-a little expo (-3% on the elevator)

-first flight scared the hell out of me with it balancing at the plans and with no rudder-aileron mixing.

-2nd flight (removing the 4 pennies in the tail) and with rudder-aileron mixing, and it absolutely flies flawlessly (no trim, nothing!) So, it flies nice with the CG way far forward.

This was a huge project (maybe 40 hours) but after watching it fly, it was well worth it. I look forward to more conversions.

I don't have a scale but it probably weighs less than 10oz RTF. It even does the V-tail tail waggle just like the real one!

Mike
Old Dec 20, 2007, 02:16 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
You went from bare bones on the 18th to flying it today? That is amazing and I'm saluting you right now! It looks good in red.

Matt
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
Old Dec 20, 2007, 04:57 PM
It flew once before...
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Mike ,

Looks good ( though a little out of focus on a few shots ) Glad to hear it all went well . The Herr planes fly so well

Maybe some inflight shots when you get time ?

-John
Old Dec 20, 2007, 05:06 PM
Joined Sep 2004
33 Posts
I have no idea how to get my camera to focus up close. The auto focus is pretty lousy at this for some reason!

I flew it a few more times and no surprises. I seem to get 20 minute flights out of 1000mah before the ESC cuts out. It's really surreal to fly around you, the V-tail has such a nice profile.

I did the 35" FF Herr Cub a few years ago and had similar success. I'm pretty new to electrics as the Cub was lost due to mounting the ESC on top the receiver (dumb move). But, I seem to be learning slowly. The last stuff I had before electrics was 60 size glow planes.

These little FF kits bring out the kid in you. I'd like to start on some of the other kits and then some of the DUMAS planes.

Fun!

Mike
Old Dec 20, 2007, 05:35 PM
It flew once before...
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Mike ,
You would like the Dumas kits , especially their ones designed by Pat Tritle for electric . They fly as good as they look ! There FF line offers a lot of opportunities as well . My first conversion was the Dumas Hawker Hurricane ( Click on my name/blog to see the Hurricane and Dumas Waco ) I'm building their Aeronca C3 in the Fun /Build contest .
As far as the camera , I had similar trouble at first just take lots of pictures , play with the settings and weed out the bad ones .

-John
Old Dec 20, 2007, 09:25 PM
Suspended Account
Grove City, PA
Joined Sep 2007
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectStranger
You went from bare bones on the 18th to flying it today? That is amazing and I'm saluting you right now! It looks good in red.

Matt
Yep, covering's the part I get lazy on.
My LHS has a bunch of these Herrs. Maybe I'll have to do one someday. I've almost bought the Ryan a number of times.
Congrats on good flight too.

I would bet that you could fly the Bonanza fairly well without needing the ailerons, with the tail mixing set? Is that the case?
Bill Covert is offline Find More Posts by Bill Covert
Old Dec 20, 2007, 09:52 PM
Joined Sep 2004
33 Posts
The ruddervators are practically useless as rudders, even on high rate so I definitely would not try to fly this plane without ailerons! Same with the full scale bonanza. They only with yaw the plane with very little roll.

ALSO, if anyone tries this, I only put 1 inch of dihedral at each wingtip rather than the 2 inches as in the plans.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 10:58 PM
Suspended Account
Everett Wa.
Joined Jun 2001
5,925 Posts
I find the Herr airfoils better than what is found on most of the Guillow's and Dumas sub 30 inch rubber conversions. I also like the fact that Herr uses a lot less plastic in his kits.

By the way Mike you have a very nice Bonanza. Did I miss what motor you are using, some Himax (XXX-XX)

Nice job,
Konrad
Konrad is offline Find More Posts by Konrad
Old Dec 21, 2007, 09:34 AM
Joined Sep 2004
33 Posts
The motor is a Himax 2212-1180. Grossly overpowered but why not, it weighed the same as the less powered motor and you can always throttle back! My previous rig was a GWS gearbox with a Fegiao motor and this is infinitely superior in my opinion. No noise, no gears, just smooth, quiet power.

Here are some better pictures. I added a swoosh and some N numbers.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 12:21 PM
Suspended Account
Everett Wa.
Joined Jun 2001
5,925 Posts
It keeps looking better! What prop are you using?
I too top out at about 200 grams (7 oz) for the 12mm Fegiaos.

Konrad
Konrad is offline Find More Posts by Konrad