HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2009, 12:44 PM
Prop Buster Extraordinaire
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
There are a million different ways to finish foamies.

The use of a covering with polyc or wbpu makes for a really durable finish. Use lightweight spackle to fill. Sand and prime to get a really nice surface for paint.

I fiberglassed my latest BB 33 fuse using polycrylic+1/2 oz glass and it came out pretty nice. Very strong and maybe an ounce weight penalty. It was a learning exercise so you can see the progression of my skills from the empanage to the fuse. With more practice, I think the results will be outstanding. It's amazingly easy to do and adds about $5 per plane. If I had to use epoxy, I wouldn't be doing it - water based finishes are user friendly.
philba is offline Find More Posts by philba
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2009, 12:57 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,185 Posts
David: Chewy's right, If I was just buying a first "real" tx/rx combo now, I'd go with 2.4, probably the Assan system that HK and others sell, (From what I've read and heard from FB's it's a good entry, easy flyer system that is as glitch free as any others I've been around - I qualify that statement with if i was flying a $1000+ high performance plane then I'd probably buy a name brand, high perf radio, but if I put $30 in a plane total, i'm really overdoing it!) In addition to it's apparent solidity, the other advantage to me would be inexpensive receivers. One of the reasons I still fly 72mhz is I got (get) rx's from Bidproduct for $4.50 plus shipping. That means lots of cheap ready to fly planes to choose from without swapping radios. Also, 90% of my flying is behind my house over a hundred acres of empty fields, No one within 3 miles that I know flys rc, and nearest (little local) airport is 7 miles away. I am in the Boonies! I do fly at a local metropark where they've mowed a field for us mostly electic flyers (I've seen a gas helicopter there, but not yet a gas plane) and at the USA soccer arena in Pontiac, where they still allow 72mhz (have a channel board, one has to take the clip and attach to TX antenna). I occasionally get glitches at the metropark, but none serious, and at the arena, so many guys are on 2.4, that my channel has been available every time I've been there. I also get hits there, but think it's mostly the metal gridwork that gives crosstalk signals. One of the interesting comparisons between 2.4 and 72 is that the glitches on 72 are just that, momentary twitches that annoy, but don't crash the plane, while if the plane unbinds on 2.4, then some serious things can happen. Again, this is anecdotal, but I seem to have seen more spectrum guys having trouble binding, rebinding, etc, etc than any others, although that may just be because there are more guys flying spectrum setups and there may be something in the procedure that guys tend to forget. Also, just to muddy the water a bit more, Don (bz1mcr) just got an Assan module and soldered it into one of his 72mhz tx's and is having no problems with it. A neat idea I may follow so I can fly at home with the 72 side, and at the dome with the 2.4 side.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:51 PM
Texas Hill Country
Joined Sep 2009
88 Posts
Okay, you guys have convinced me. I DO live out in the boonies (way, way out), and so far have flown only in my own pastures, but might go to town and fly in the football stadium where I could try my first ever takeoffs and landings.

But...When I do make the move from the 27 mhz Wild Hawk radios to something better, I'll go with a 2.4 gb system. Dunno what right now, or what the budget can stand, but that's what I'll do when I do something.

And I appreciate all of the inputs!

David
eljay2 is offline Find More Posts by eljay2
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:52 PM
Prop Buster Extraordinaire
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
Good points there, Springer. If I were to move up to a mainstream TX, I'd go for the module approach to reduce the cost of receivers. Assan is a good deal but you have to watch out - there are 2 flavors and the latest one - V2 - had some earlier versions that were flawed (didn't do what they said it would) with no way to determine which was which. I think they got the message on that one.
philba is offline Find More Posts by philba
Old Dec 19, 2009, 02:41 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,924 Posts
If you go onto ebay and search for Hitec Optic 6 ro Futaba 8U or 9C or some such, you can probably get them quite cheap. People are unloading their 72MHz for new 2.4G radios. You can then stick an Assan module into it. I have been using Assan for the past 2 years. They are good and cheap. rx are not much over USD20. The price quoted here is not exact since I am not supposed to quote any prices from Hobby King. Their instructions, you know.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Dec 19, 2009, 02:44 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,817 Posts
Dowel Reinforcement + Type

I added foam at the rear of the wing opening and placed the hole down quite a bit on the front and the back. I had to place it lower in the front due to a channel for the motor wires. Not sure what rubber bands I'll need though.

Another idea... I have an old VHF TV antenna, and have been playing around with the possibility of using the straight rods for my dowels. They are made up of aluminum, have a longitudinal gap all the way along, but look to be the proper diameter, and seem to be pretty tough and light. I cut a couple of prototypes with my tubing cutter and they look promising. For those of you who have crashed, is there any disadvantage to having an "unbreakable" dowel? I would think that by the time you break a dowel, you have already done some significant damage to the fuse anyway. Not sure about the wing though (I'm going with a kfm2); a cartwheel crash would probably tear off the back end behind the monobloc and some of the front instead of the wing. That looks to be the case based on some pictures that have been posted.

If I do this I'll post pictures. You may not want to throw out that old antenna yet...

TIA for your comments, they are always appreciated...
ruff1 is offline Find More Posts by ruff1
Old Dec 19, 2009, 02:48 PM
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philba View Post
On that Exceed 2.4GHz TX - I have 2 of them and while they are pretty minimal, they work great for me.
Santa is bringing me one of these, got it for $40 ($10 off through BillMeLater on PayPal for first purchase). I'll report on how it does.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 05:22 PM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPop View Post
You've got a Nutball on skis? That's awesome.
Oh, it's impossibly fun. I can have a scale take off, or if i jam the throttle there is a skid track a foot long. lmao. my skiis are about 7 inches so it actually moved only 4 inches.
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Old Dec 19, 2009, 08:25 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff1 View Post
Do any of you reinforce the area around where your dowels come out of the fuse? I was playing with setting up my LG, and got a little too rough with it, making the hole oblong. I would think that stresses during flight might also cause this.
Yeah, I usually cut a short piece of popsicle stick (craft stick) and taper it on the end to match the fuse or whatever to make it look good. Drill holes to match your dowels and glue on the side of the fuse and run the dowels through there.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Dec 19, 2009, 08:33 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philba View Post
The best deal is the <$15 receivers. It's hard for me to justify a mainstream TX when the receivers cost more than the T6 TX and RX combined.
I'm with you on that Philba! It's one thing to pay a couple hundred bucks for a good radio up front but when you've got to buy a $50 receiver for EVERY plane you build, that's tough especially as quick as these foamies multiply! I haven't had any problems with my HK receivers. First Spektrum I bought was bad and I had to send it off. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Dec 19, 2009, 08:35 PM
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPop View Post
Yeah, I usually cut a short piece of popsicle stick (craft stick) and taper it on the end to match the fuse or whatever to make it look good. Drill holes to match your dowels and glue on the side of the fuse and run the dowels through there.
THX, I have a Michael's and Hobby Lobby (the craft one) within a mile of my workplace. I'll pick these up and see what else might come in handy.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 09:12 PM
My middle name is Alton
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
228 Posts
Winter has hit Western Michigan big time! My 10 year old has already had 4 snow days off from school this year.

I'm finding winter to be a great time to fly - I bet you guys in the south are jealous

RC Plane with skis on snow (2 min 22 sec)
AltonMan is offline Find More Posts by AltonMan
Last edited by AltonMan; Dec 19, 2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 09:45 PM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,229 Posts
cool vid Altonman,we don't have quite that much snow,but enough to try the skis on something.I may have to fit them on my 28'' BB for the New Years' Day fly-in my club always has.

This oughta be fun...
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Old Dec 20, 2009, 01:08 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,449 Posts
12712 posts later, my second BB33 is born. This time she's sporting a KFM2 wing, heavily sanded 1 7/8" mono, flow through cooling, an 11T-Y rewound blue wonder pulling about 15oz, and a Cub-esque color scheme to take me back to the golden era of RC. With the Krylon H20 primer and paint, she porked up to 10.37oz AUW with a 2s800. I've seen heavier, so it should fly OK.

This one does more justice for Tony's design than my first. Alas, this one is going right in to the hands of one of my buddies who wants to learn the sport of RC.

Hopefully I'll have time to print a cub logo for the tail, some NC numbers, and a black zigzag to complete the cub package before I hand it over on X-mas.

Cheers,
Kevin
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:18 AM
Texas Hill Country
Joined Sep 2009
88 Posts
Looks fantastic to me! Be anxious to hear (read) how it flies.

David
eljay2 is offline Find More Posts by eljay2