HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2005, 02:13 AM
Ferret chauffeur
Augusta, Georgia
Joined May 2005
204 Posts
Revo mixing with Futaba 7chp

Hi all,

I just upgraded to seperates on my dragonfly and I can't get the mixing right with the 7CH, can anyone help me with it. I have a GWS 4 channel rx, ICS-400 for main, and ICS-50 for the tail, with a century gyro.

Thanks,

Tyrell
tywhite31p is offline Find More Posts by tywhite31p
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2005, 04:58 AM
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,696 Posts
The BEST thing that you can do is to make a turn table. You cannot accurately adjust revo in flight, and flying, trying to guess what throttle setting you are at when the revo is off, landing, and hoping you make the correction to revo at the right throttle setting, is a huge trial and error process that is mostly error.

This is a gearbox from a GWS Litestick, with a piece of light ply bolted on like a prop. The heli is rubber-banded to the lite ply, and the whole thing is clamped to a board to hang it in air OGE.

This way, you can safely spool up the heli, make fine adjustments to revo, and also have revo set at higher throttle setting than you can safely recreate in your house in free flight.
Vince Herman is offline Find More Posts by Vince Herman
Old Aug 08, 2005, 06:29 AM
0 Carbon fp? don't breed!
www.dhrc.rchomepage.com Gloucester/Cheltenham Gloucester, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Oct 2004
2,161 Posts
You want one of these, a MicroMix
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388867

The problem is most Tx's are expecting to be used in a CP configuration. Mapping that to an FP throttle (0-100%) doesn't really work that well. You should be able to set the rudder sub trim (ch4) to have a steady tail in hover. I could be wrong but if you can get the heli to hover at 75% stick the REVO numbers might be more useful. The gyro will have to take care of the rest the tail damping.

Eco Piccolo FP Pic+ Hornet MS-080 CF blades, Himaxx 215 2800 rpm/v, Phoenix10 brushless ESC, 9T/96T 25+mins AUW ~298g (with Airwolf 311g)
DarkHorse is offline Find More Posts by DarkHorse
Old Aug 08, 2005, 07:11 AM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,000 Posts
Just pop in to your nearest Ikea store and pick up a pine Lazy Susan for under $20. Add a few nails on the outside, and tie your heli down (not just the skids, they might come off!).

You can then run up your motor and adjust revo-mix at each point in the throttle curve right there and then.

Best $20 I ever spent!
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Aug 08, 2005, 10:11 AM
0 Carbon fp? don't breed!
www.dhrc.rchomepage.com Gloucester/Cheltenham Gloucester, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Oct 2004
2,161 Posts
> adjust revo-mix at each point in the throttle curve
Yea that's the problem, unless I missed something the F7C doesn't have that capability, only up/down +/-% mix either side of 50% mid stick. Pretty useless for FP throttle characteristics.
DarkHorse is offline Find More Posts by DarkHorse
Old Aug 08, 2005, 11:48 AM
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,696 Posts
Yuck. I have the 9ch, so I got the 5 point revo.
Perhaps this is an opportunity for you to get a head hold gyro like the gy240? Or gy401?
Vince Herman is offline Find More Posts by Vince Herman
Old Aug 08, 2005, 01:50 PM
Ferret chauffeur
Augusta, Georgia
Joined May 2005
204 Posts
I guess I'll have to get a GY 240 for it, just don't really want to spend that much on it, oh well. Just have to not tell the wife ;-). Thanks for the tips guys
tywhite31p is offline Find More Posts by tywhite31p
Old Aug 08, 2005, 10:47 PM
Joined Aug 2004
134 Posts
I recently went separates on my Aerohawk and have had good luck with a PG-03 (cheap rate gyro) and a Futaba 7CHP. I also got th revo mixing working well with a GY240 (borrowed from another heli) before I got the PG-03. In my case, motors are all brushless and use CC10 controllers.

For the PG-03, setup began by moving the rudder stick FULL LEFT, then SLOWLY bringing it back to center. As I did so, the tail motor started moving, at which point I began dialing down the REVO "LO" to stop the motor. With the rudder centered, the tail motor should not be working. At that point, I lifted off and observed which way the tail went (right/left), then set it down and adjusted the "setup" left/right until the tail was where I wanted it. It's been working great so far (about a week).

With the GY240, (with AVCS OFF) I had to set-up differently. Since there is not "setup" on the GYRO I had to start with my rudder trim to far left, then move the stick to far left. REVO was adjusted the same as above to bring the stick to center. Finally, to tweak the tail I used the sub-trim to dial it in just right. Of course, if you have a GY240 you would likely use the AVCS and forget about mixing, but I wanted to get a cheaper GYRO for this bird.
MrBruiser is offline Find More Posts by MrBruiser