HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:48 PM
Joined Jun 2013
5 Posts
Discussion
Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera Gimbal

I want a very light weight 3 axis gimbal for the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera. It would weigh about 425g at its lightest but might run up to about 550-600g with a different lens. I would also like to be able to hook up a secondary receiver to it so i can control it with a second transmitter.

Thanks
samob is offline Find More Posts by samob
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:03 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Feb 2013
857 Posts
DJI has announced they are working on one. If they can deliver something that is under $1000 and closer to the size of the H3-2D gimbal but with 3 axis they will have a huge seller.
CG Photo is online now Find More Posts by CG Photo
Old Jan 27, 2014, 01:06 AM
Joined Nov 2013
56 Posts
Check out the Arris Zhaoyun 3 axis here:

http://www.hobby-wing.com/arris-zhao...ss-gimbal.html
Dan Kanes is offline Find More Posts by Dan Kanes
Old Jan 29, 2014, 05:33 AM
:)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
2,637 Posts
It looks similar in size to the compact mirrorless cameras. There are quite a few gimbals for them and they should suit your purpose.

Should yield great results. Fantastic cam. It will be interesting if they update it this year with 60fps?

Maybe a global shutter too like the 4K cam.
Soma is online now Find More Posts by Soma
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2014, 07:41 AM
GRC tecel
Germany, NRW, Münster
Joined Nov 2013
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post
It looks similar in size to the compact mirrorless cameras. There are quite a few gimbals for them and they should suit your purpose.

Should yield great results. Fantastic cam. It will be interesting if they update it this year with 60fps?

Maybe a global shutter too like the 4K cam.
Yeah - that would be dreams come true but 60fps would increase dataflow in raw up to 5 GB/min
When looking for a BMPCC gimbal allways keep in mind that you need the space for a hdmi micro cable too! This adds another 12mm at least in width. And beeing able to change sd and batterie without taking the cam out of the gimbal would be a good feature as well. The cam is hungry for batteries and cards
tecel is offline Find More Posts by tecel
Old Jan 29, 2014, 07:45 AM
Joined Jan 2009
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecel View Post
Yeah - that would be dreams come true but 60fps would increase dataflow in raw up to 5 GB/min
When looking for a BMPCC gimbal allways keep in mind that you need the space for a hdmi micro cable too! This adds another 12mm at least in width. And beeing able to change sd and batterie without taking the cam out of the gimbal would be a good feature as well. The cam is hungry for batteries and cards
Unfortunately Black Magic placed the playback buttons on top, otherwise you could install it hanging from the gimbal and easily access the bottom compartment.
You still can do it with a spacer.
SamurAchzar is online now Find More Posts by SamurAchzar
Old Jan 29, 2014, 08:42 AM
GRC tecel
Germany, NRW, Münster
Joined Nov 2013
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamurAchzar View Post
Unfortunately Black Magic placed the playback buttons on top, otherwise you could install it hanging from the gimbal and easily access the bottom compartment.
You still can do it with a spacer.
Yes, very important! There is no other way to look at your raw takes in real time as in the cam (or you have a really fast computer on set).
Old Jan 29, 2014, 03:02 PM
:)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecel View Post
I was just looking at the write speeds of SD cards and the 50Mb/s cards should do 24GB/min??? Is my maths right there? You're right, that's a lot of data! 4K must be stupendous!

I think it would pay for Black Magic Design to look at supporting development of a specific gimbal for the pocket cinema cam? It seems perfectly suited to AP!
Soma is online now Find More Posts by Soma
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2014, 04:17 PM
GRC tecel
Germany, NRW, Münster
Joined Nov 2013
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post
I was just looking at the write speeds of SD cards and the 50Mb/s cards should do 24GB/min??? Is my maths right there? You're right, that's a lot of data! 4K must be stupendous!

I think it would pay for Black Magic Design to look at supporting development of a specific gimbal for the pocket cinema cam? It seems perfectly suited to AP!
A 50mb/s card wont do for raw - maybe for ProRes... Not even a 80mb/s card (sandisk) works with raw. It has to be the 95mb/s card for raw. 4k raw (even compressed) is for fast ssds upwards.
Would be nice to know how large the AP market for the BMPCC is. Around 200? What they could really do with the next firmware to get more units sold for AP: An option to switch the hdmi out to interlaced and the capability to format the sd card and erase clips in camera. A software raw player (realtime) would be nice as well
Old Feb 03, 2014, 02:01 AM
Joined Feb 2014
9 Posts
Check out this thread for pics of the BMPCC on the new DJI Gimbal and S1000 Octocopter http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=blackmag
GadgetBen is offline Find More Posts by GadgetBen
Old Feb 03, 2014, 10:14 AM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2013
310 Posts
For those that use BMPCC for aerial video, what are the downsides of not being able to shoot at 60fps ?
Mintakax is offline Find More Posts by Mintakax
Old Feb 03, 2014, 06:37 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2013
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintakax View Post
For those that use BMPCC for aerial video, what are the downsides of not being able to shoot at 60fps ?
Can you comment Tecel ? Your vids that I have seen look good, I'm just wondering about it......
Mintakax is offline Find More Posts by Mintakax
Old Feb 03, 2014, 09:52 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Feb 2011
289 Posts
Has anyone found a proper micro hdmi cable to use on a brushless gimbal?
bananawhiz is offline Find More Posts by bananawhiz
Old Feb 07, 2014, 02:54 AM
GRC tecel
Germany, NRW, Münster
Joined Nov 2013
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintakax View Post
Due to the Pocket we can offer 24,25 and 30fps in ProRes or DNG Raw. Our experiance is that our customers preferre a pro codec over fps. The footage is really stunning and most of our jobs are made in 1080 25p ProRes. One of the key demands is that the footage is matchable with other cams footage which is no problem anymore. If a production needs higher resolution or higher fps there are not too many options - it all comes down on flying a RED then which is a different story in price and handling. Yesterday we had a job for a agency and they were flashed what this little cam can do. So we are quite lucky with the little beast. I expect several enhancements with the next firmware update - like beeing able to formate a sd card in camera and hopefully an option to choose interlaced at the hdmi out. But we allready fly the Pocket with a Zenmuse and everything works. We allways have a fast laptop on set with 1920x1080 display anyway - formating cards is not a problem at all. Distortion is a little annoying though...
Old Feb 07, 2014, 08:01 PM
Joined Feb 2013
23 Posts
Distortion is a little annoying though...[/QUOTE]

What sort of distortion are you speaking of?
BK Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BK Flyer