HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:11 AM
Joined Oct 2013
2 Posts
Discussion
Dual Motor Help

How do you control dual brushed motors in a boat? Dual motor ESC? 2 ESC's with a Y receiver cable? help!!
rminnon is offline Find More Posts by rminnon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2013, 01:39 AM
Australia, VIC, Blackburn North
Joined Feb 2011
825 Posts
Usually the last one.....2 ESC's and Y cable.
mozzyrocks is offline Find More Posts by mozzyrocks
Old Oct 16, 2013, 05:14 AM
Joined Oct 2013
2 Posts
Thanks...... are there any issues with syncing the 2 motors to turn the same RPM?
rminnon is offline Find More Posts by rminnon
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:16 AM
Australia, VIC, Blackburn North
Joined Feb 2011
825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rminnon View Post
Thanks...... are there any issues with syncing the 2 motors to turn the same RPM?
Not usually.

From my experience with a twin motored King of Shaves, I was advised to unplug one ESC and calibrate one, then reverse that (swap them over) and calibrate the second one.

The calibration is for EPA/ATV limits within the TX.

Just be sure that the motor directions are correct. Also from experience, usually an ESC will go slower in reverse than forwards.

RPM will be dictated by timing of the motor and ESC settings if it's adjustable.

Good luck.

Just out of curiosity, what is this for?
Pics?
mozzyrocks is offline Find More Posts by mozzyrocks
Old Oct 16, 2013, 01:57 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2013
40 Posts
I had issues with my Higgins PT boat when trying to run two speed controllers from a "Y' in the speed channel. No matter which combination I tried switching ESC's, battery packs, motors, one all ways ran faster than the other. A fellow boater suggested I look into Dimension Engineering's ESC's. Bought one of their dual out put ESC's and my problem was solved. Boat now runs straight and true, and turns both directions with equal grace. I went with the Sabertooth 2 X 60 ESC and made the switch to Li Po's at the same time, what an increase in run time and boat control at idle was also more precise.
bubbletop409 is online now Find More Posts by bubbletop409
Old Oct 17, 2013, 02:48 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
5,807 Posts
Actually, if you are running brushed motors as the OP said, you can run both motors from one ESC. Just make sure it's capable of handling double the amp draw of a single motor.
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My "Jet Set"
Old Oct 17, 2013, 03:03 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Jun 2005
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207 View Post
Actually, if you are running brushed motors as the OP said, you can run both motors from one ESC. Just make sure it's capable of handling double the amp draw of a single motor.
Wire them in parallel to have the motors run the same voltage from the pack, as if they were only singly hooked up to the ESC, right?

Series would cut the voltage they see in half, right?
AustinWolv is offline Find More Posts by AustinWolv
Old Oct 17, 2013, 04:41 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
908 Posts
The battery is connected to a single ESC, and the ESC to the motors is in parallel. There are some pictures of various configurations here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783582

If you wire them in series I believe you will get half the voltage at each motor.
cyberhoops is offline Find More Posts by cyberhoops