HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
Discussion
Typical "First Heli" thread, have done some research

Hi all, new to the forum, sent here from a different site, which WAY overmoderates new guys, bad thing!

OK so my wife has dedicated $50 towards an RC heli. I always stop and watch the guys at the mall selling their coax helis so she thought I'd like one. But knows I'm picky about stuff and maybe wouldn't want one of the ones at the mall. Smart lady.

So, no reason I have to stop at $50, lets say my total budget would be more like $100-$200 though, I don't want to overspend to find it's not really for me (I don't need a heli in the closet next to the telescope, LOL, I do have a metal detector though and I DO use that, LOL).

I am primarily interested in outdoor flying. I could maybe do a little practicing in our slightly oversized 2 car garage, we keep it pretty organized, no problem getting our 2 cars in it, have actually had our 2 cars and an Austin Healey Sprite in it in the past, so it's pretty good sized garage I could hover around in. But we have a nice sized yard as well. I do know that Coax not really good for outdoor flying usually, unless the air is really still.

Now as I said I have done some looking around since Christmas, so not a whole ton of looking, but enough to get some ideas.

Concentrating mainly on fixed pitch right now (oh and I know everyone will recommend a fancy controller).

One I recently zero'd in on is the Blade SR120. I like the size of it compared to the mSR for example (would rather have something larger than a nano like an mSR for example). I'd REALLY like an SR but feel I would be jumping in too deep on complexity for a beginner, and also in budget. Also due to the budget I'd rather go with a RTF and skip buying a seperate controller.

Gilly
GillyWI is offline Find More Posts by GillyWI
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:46 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Dec 2012
636 Posts
personally, I started with the dh 9116. I love it. But, I would say stuff can break, if you want a heli that is indestructible get the:

http://www.amazon.com/2-4GHz-Radio-S...ywords=rc+heli

I have no experience with the blade SR120, but I hear a lot of positive reviews on it.

btw: bahr <--- can't remember how he spells it, really like quads so talk to him if your interested in going down that road.
jimmy boo is offline Find More Posts by jimmy boo
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:41 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,691 Posts
The Blade 120SR is an excellent choice. It has a very nice performance range and is very durable and reliable. As jimmy boo said, a mini-quad is also a very good choice. Their performance range is much greater than any conventional FP heli and they are all but unbreakable. Quads also handle wind better than FP helis. But, quads aren't for everyone. They just are not what many people envision when they think of flying.

The Blade SR would be a bad choice, even if you were experienced. It is an old design that's completely outdated and has always been difficult to fly, with low durability. Tail motors have always been a problem with this size and type of heli. They can't keep up and burn out quickly. When you are ready to advance, you should be looking at a flybarless model and a good radio. They have much more simple designs, better materials and a lot fewer parts. So, durability, reliability are much improved and repairs are faster and easier.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:58 AM
United States, MS, Olive Branch
Joined Mar 2012
5 Posts
Welcome! I have been reading on this forum heavily since last Spring, but this is only like my 3rd post.. LOL! Well, anyway, I just got my second heli, a mqx. My first was the v911. It is more challenging, but fun. Part of the challenging part is orientation, but I am getting used to it. I got a mqx because I got the dx6i.... and parts are much easier to obtain. There are other good quads that are so much less expensive that you can buy two for the same price, but I am happy with it. This hobby can be addicting . Good luck in your decision. There are a lot more experienced people here that can help.
aearwood is offline Find More Posts by aearwood
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:55 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,691 Posts
You deal with orientation on a quad by using a Mc Donalds "canopy" and the orange blades.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:24 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Go with the quad. You'll learn more than you would with something like that 9116, you'll learn faster, and you'll use it longer and get a bigger return for your investment.

And when you get a bigger more expensive heli, you'll be amazed how many people/kids will walk up and say "Can I try it?" You can "nope, but I'll let you try this little quad". (same for your kids/grandkids/etc)

The only thing you gotta get past is they don't look anything like airwolf.
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
Pulled the trigger on a used SR120 with 4 batts, spare main blade set and several tail rotors, charger, 2 remotes, 2 spare canopies, etc off ebay, seller has a ranking in the 900's, 100% positive. $150 for all, shipped.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Mar 2012
5 Posts
Congradulations on your purchase! Hope you enjoy it! If you have not checked it out, there is a large 120sr topic in the micro heli section in this forum.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:07 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI View Post
..... sent here from a different site, which WAY overmoderates new guys, bad thing!

Gilly
Now that you've settled on a heli, what forum sent you here?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:12 AM
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
Someone from another forum (who has already replied here), not the forum itself, it was Helifreak.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:20 AM
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
Oh and Larry, I was in the process of looking at quads, after I had made an offer on the SR120, and was just starting to rethink things, them he accepted the offer I made and decided I will just stick with the decision.
Gilly
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:03 AM
Joined Mar 2012
5 Posts
Actually, I suggested it. Thought he would get a better response here.
Last edited by aearwood; Dec 30, 2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:46 AM
United States, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Jan 2012
281 Posts
i like both forums,hf seems to be more helpful when you get into more complicated stuff
mmracecars is offline Find More Posts by mmracecars
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:07 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Kinda what I thought, when you said "WAY overmoderates new guys"

I was a member of RC Universe for a few years before I joined RCG, then joined HF just to watch the finless bob videos. The few times that I posted over there the reaction i got was that I hadn't been a member long enough to have ideas and I should wait until I've learned what answers everyone else gives so I can repeat them.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
It got really irritating when I had in the neighborhood of 3 replies I had made that weren't posted yet. Granted this is the holiday season and they might be low on moderatror power, but doesn't make it any less frustrating. And I have been around forum sites enough to know spammers can quickly ruin things for everyone. Still strikes me as over-the-top. Thanks for the point in the right direction aearwood!
Gilly