HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:23 PM
polarisdave
saskatoon
Joined Apr 2008
157 Posts
Discussion
micro valve

were would I find a small ball like valve? somthing for 1/8" inch tubing. I would like to be able to operate it with a servo. push for open pull for closed. I would like to use it as a flood valve to let water into my ballast tank and be able to close it.I can find valves here but they are all way to large, ment for 1/2 copper tubing, like what is used for plumbing. any info would be a great help. thanks and have a Merry Christmas l and a happy new year
.Dave from Saskatoon.
POLARISDAVE is offline Find More Posts by POLARISDAVE
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:42 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,540 Posts
not sure about a ball valve, but many of the model submarine examples i've seen use a piece of fuel tubing with a "pin" pushed against it as a type of "pinch" valve...

check out post #5 on this thread:

http://www.theassociationofmodelsubm...ch-valves#1533
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Last edited by tsenecal; Dec 21, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:51 PM
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
784 Posts
You could try medical stopcocks used to connect iv lines together.
http://www.utahmed.com/oemstopcocks.htm

If you prefer metal, https://us.vwr.com/store/catalog/pro...uct_id=9077586

you could put it directly over the servo to control opening and closing.
redboat219 is offline Find More Posts by redboat219
Last edited by redboat219; Dec 21, 2012 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Inserted another link
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:08 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
405 Posts
I found this....http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategor...lve-with-Lever
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:17 PM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
882 Posts
Festo valves are used a lot, and they work well.

http://alshobbies.com/shop/search.ph...with+Arm+-+4mm
Sub culture is offline Find More Posts by Sub culture
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:15 AM
United States, ME, Bar Harbor
Joined Sep 2005
391 Posts
Most ball valves are rather stiff, as such they put quite a strain on the servo. The suggestion to pinch the 1/8 fuel line would be much easier.
If you are using a "sealed" ballast tank, ie, controlled inlet for H2O and/or controlled outlet for air, then solenoid valves might prove to be the way to go.
jeno is offline Find More Posts by jeno
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:52 AM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
882 Posts
The snag with solenoid valves is that most of the readily available miniature versions are designed for flowing air and gases, not water. If you use them with water the internals can corrode. There are suitable solenoid valves available, but they tend to be larger. Okay on a bigger boat, but a problem on something smaller.

The Festo valves I menioned certainly aren't very stiff, and are easily turned by a standard servo. Pinch valves work well also, but it's something you will need to make yourself. Fortunately not that difficult to construct.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:43 PM
Bloomington, IL
Joined Apr 2004
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLARISDAVE View Post
....... I would like to use it as a flood valve to let water into my ballast tank and be able to close it.............
.Dave from Saskatoon.
A question for you. What type of ballast tank are you using? Because my ballast tank filling is done via several holes at the bottom that are open all the time. There is no need to close them.

I use a Propel type system. When I want to blow the tank, I open the solenoid valve connected to the Propel cylinder. When I want to fill the tank with water/vent air, I open the vent valve at the top of the tank. You can buy these at Mike's Sub Works. He has a couple of choices:

http://www.mikessubworks.com/page1.html
eRaptor is offline Find More Posts by eRaptor
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:06 PM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
882 Posts
Sounds like he's using a sealed tank water pump ballast system. You push water into the tank and compress the air inside. You can usually fill the tank about two thirds full before the pump stalls out. Therefore with this sytem you always have a part filled tank so it's important to fit baffles to slow sloshing down and upsetting the boats stability (or lack thereof!).
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:11 PM
Bloomington, IL
Joined Apr 2004
74 Posts
I guess this option would not work for him.

I wonder how Clippard solenoid valves would work in this setting. I have no experience with this type of a ballast tank.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:39 PM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
882 Posts
Had some experience with Clippard valves. Fine for use with air and gas, not so good with water. The soft iron core is exposed to the water, and it corrodes cuasing blockage int he valve, they're also rather restrictive. Use a festo or pinch valve, they work much better, and are cheaper too.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:03 PM
United States, ME, Bar Harbor
Joined Sep 2005
391 Posts
As Sub Culture said, Clippard's are fine for a gas, but terrible for a liquid.
The interal ports are tiny and the flow of water would take forever.
jeno is offline Find More Posts by jeno
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:59 PM
Bloomington, IL
Joined Apr 2004
74 Posts
Makes sense.

My experience has only been with gas, and no trouble with years of usage.