HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:54 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I have seen a couple of things that can help with heat.
1. Make sure that you run close to 100% throttle as possible. Unfortunately the Talon does not have data logging so I makes it harder to tune. I have found that if you are running governor and the internal throttle drops below 80% the ESC makes much more heat. If 100% gives way too much headspeed for scale then change the gears.
2. PWM can also make a difference. I donít fly Talon any more so I donít know what the options are but lower PWM values usually make the ESC run cooler.
3. Back when I was doing scale I used one or more 5v electric fans to keep the air moving. You may have to add a fan.

The Talon has switching BEC.
My throttle curve is at 85% for steady hover, and I'm not using governor mode. The ESC runs cold (i.e. ambient temperature) when the heli's in pod-and-boom mode, so I'm looking at fan(s) at the moment. I thought of computer fans, but they seem to be 12v -- at least the ones I've looked at so far are.

Thanks for your input.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2014, 03:19 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,001 Posts
I buy fans from an electronics warehouse store. I am in the US and buy from Digikey.com. The UK probably has something like that. Electronics warehouse stores usually have low prices and a good selection.

I have used 12v fans by using the balance plug and tapping off 3s. Fans don’t draw that much power so LiPo balance won’t be a problem.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Apr 15, 2014, 02:15 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I buy fans from an electronics warehouse store. I am in the US and buy from Digikey.com. The UK probably has something like that. Electronics warehouse stores usually have low prices and a good selection.

I have used 12v fans by using the balance plug and tapping off 3s. Fans donít draw that much power so LiPo balance wonít be a problem.
Yes, I was thinking of tapping off the balance lead, but I've found plenty of 5v fans now at my local electronics store

But, I wonder; if ESC/BEC heating is the issue, maybe I'd be better off tapping directly into my battery instead of imposing more load on the BEC
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn