matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:18 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,642 Posts
Maybe the quality of the planes is due to what the Chinese view these planes as. I think it was on another forum I saw a post from a guy on a business trip to Hong Kong, and he chanced upon a field in between all the buildings where some guys were flying. He was amazed how with even just minor damage, these guys were just chucking the crashed planes into the trash, electronics and all. It seems like they're throwaway toys to them.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:35 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Maybe the quality of the planes is due to what the Chinese view these planes as. I think it was on another forum I saw a post from a guy on a business trip to Hong Kong, and he chanced upon a field in between all the buildings where some guys were flying. He was amazed how with even just minor damage, these guys were just chucking the crashed planes into the trash, electronics and all. It seems like they're throwaway toys to them.
The quality is general good and the Chinese are generally poor. Maybe he was in a very rich area.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:39 PM
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2011
1,164 Posts
I've had good luck with HK so far, mostly batteries. I can get a 2200 3s Turnigy for under $10 or I can get a Thunder Power somewhere else for around $50. Even if I get a bad one I can throw it out and still be ahead. This is a hobby and I try to get the most value for my limited dollars and plan on continuing to buy from HK. Like said in a previous post, you have to do a little research on what to buy. I don't expect to get great customer service, and I don't expect they go out of there way to try and rip anyone off.
FloridaFlyBob is offline Find More Posts by FloridaFlyBob
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:27 PM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,088 Posts
This reminds me, I got a notice that the Orange 3axis gyros are in stock again. Thanks!!

BTW, like Gerry says, use the FREE protection offered by your CC company. Fill out a form, wait another month or so to get the credit on your CC balance, then place another order with HK - only smaller. It's always a risk and I've learned to keep my order to less than $100 and to order from multiple sources.
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:20 PM
Seattle Area
Joined Aug 2007
4,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
So true! I always buy my stuff at the local shop when they have what I want in stock, but increasingly that's a rare occurrence - they have little non RTF/BNF electric stuff, and zero decent gliders/gliding accessories (slope soaring is my primary interest). For the rest I buy from UK online retailers where possible, and HK where not (though obviously only for stuff that I can ratify is good quality from the forums).
It's the same here, the local shops in town carry mostly smaller Horizon foam planes and micro helicopters. The rest is R/C trucks, plastic kits, and rockets.
I mainly shop online now.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:31 AM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
The quality is general good and the Chinese are generally poor. Maybe he was in a very rich area.
Or maybe he was just making up a "good story", trying to make a point...
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:27 AM
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,156 Posts
40 orders
>250 discrete items
~3 "broken" items on delivery
net expenditure on products (not including cheap postage) ~ $1500.00

satisfaction ? immense

i have 3 flying planes directly from them, another 4 pending completion, and enough parts for another 3 already in the air, plus excess for around another 6 or so

are they perfect ? no; but then neither am i

the rma process for the first complaint was excruciatingly slow; since then i have learnt that dogged persistence (and dealing with "andrea") makes for swift and reliable resolution - they really do seem to value repeat customers with service that noobs expect but sadly fail to get - and i have pointed that out to them as feedback as a "valued platinum member"

if you aren't experienced to fix simple problems, don't even consider their produce because there's no guarantee it won't require minor re-jiggling

if you are an independent modeller of some ability - you can buy a metric sh++load more from them than the local distributors (in australia at any rate) can supply at many times the price, and it does fine from my experiences - i am having a ball with their gear, some of which exceeds local produce by far - batteries, carbon fibre, epoxy, cyanoacrylate, watts up meter, digital caliper, and others without any effort to recall

that doesn't excuse poor service and support follow-up, but i offer the old axiom - cheap, fast, quality - choose two... (or one if you wish)

three ain't reality

scruffy1 is offline Find More Posts by scruffy1
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:13 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
12 HK planes w/o any issues THAT I couldn't fix...

HK is NOT for beginners.. Their planes all need a little something here or there.
Same could be said for Horizon/Blade...
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:26 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,442 Posts
Hmm, that has not been my experience. All my Horizon Hobby planes have been great out of the box.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:33 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crater Maker View Post
Stick to what I know?
I know when a plane has a cowl in the box from a totally different plane.
I know when the plastic parts for the prop are only half formed in the mold and you can only put one prop out of three on either one of the motors.
I know when I see one of the legs from the retracts broken off and thrown in the box.
I know how to count. One spinner in a kit for a twin engine airplane.
I know when a servo is glued in upside down with the output shaft pushed into the foam so it would go in the hole.

Even someone like you could figure out there is a problem with this plane.

You keep right on buying and rebuying parts to fix your Hobby King junk.
Better luck? lol Yeah, that's pretty lucky.
sorry if I hit a nerve..

I should just recommend that you wait until your karma has improved..
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Last edited by rtbates; Oct 04, 2012 at 09:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:37 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,691 Posts
I can sympathise with you. I haven't ordered anything from HK I couldn't eat the cost of (my biggest order has been $42), but I have had similar experiences with other vendors. I bought a Heli-Max heli a few years ago and found it was misrepresented on their website. I exchanged a number of emails and phone calls with them, asking for my money back. Their response was to change the ad on their website. Problem solved!

I'm pretty sure I have cost them way more than that in sales since then, some I'm happy.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:34 AM
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
282 Posts
Just finished the build on a 63" P-51D fro HK. It required a little reworking (elevator control rod to short, 2 servos loose, gear door not completely secured) but the price was right. Came from the US warehouse without incident. I ordered some items from the internationalwarehouse on the same day and they arrived on the same day as the plane. I'm not sure how that happened, but I'm not complaining. I have placed multiple orders with HK and have not had a problem. I order from them knowing that I might have issue and it will be up to me to try to rectify them. This is a risk you take when ordering from an overseas company. For the price, I'll take that risk.
Scooch is online now Find More Posts by Scooch
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:41 AM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
HobbyKing will straight out lie to you regarding any returns, refunds or replacements; "it's on the way", "we've issued a full refund to your credit card, call your bank" (all purchases paid for via paypal) how'd they get my bank info??? Embarrased me when I actually DID call the bank, several times before realizing hk does not even have my bank info, what a nightmare...

Steer clear of anything purchased from them, nothing but broken junk, or manufacturers seconds, no resolution of problems EVER, lies always. And how can anyone feel good supporting the Chinese???
When the jobs and economic stimulus are needed here at home... And when you think about where your money actually goes...

Edit: my post speaks directly to the OPs post, lousy or non-existant support from hobbyking .
Anyone commenting from "down under" in this thread can be basically disregarded as that relationship is clearly evident all over this website. Can you say "shill"???

Copies of emails available upon request...
kdill2160 is offline Find More Posts by kdill2160
Last edited by kdill2160; Oct 05, 2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:34 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdill2160 View Post
Steer clear of anything purchased from them, nothing but broken junk, or manufacturers seconds, no resolution of problems EVER, lies always. And how can anyone feel good supporting the Chinese???
Errr, take a look at around your home and see how many Chinese products you own before throwing around comments like that - I suspect you are supporting them a lot more than you think...
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My OpenTX Taranis templates...