HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:42 AM
MattiasB
Sweden
Joined Feb 2011
8 Posts
Help!
Wookong keep spinning

Hello,
I have a problem I do not understand.
My gaui500x with DJI Wookong refuses to stand still in the air. It rotates slowly counterclockwise. Worse if the wind blows, than if it calm. With strong gusts it can rotate a quarter turn in one second before I compensate.
Without wind it rotates with maybe one full lap in 30 seconds.
I have been trying atti mode without GPS to exclude that part. Iíve tried without the GPS connected at all, still the same results.
Is it IMU'n which is mounted crooked? Or has it failed. Or is it an engine that "pulls" less than the others, and cause the rotation?
Do anyone have an answer, it is very welcome.
MattiasB is offline Find More Posts by MattiasB
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:44 AM
Registered User
fajar's Avatar
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiasB View Post
Hello,
I have a problem I do not understand.
My gaui500x with DJI Wookong refuses to stand still in the air. It rotates slowly counterclockwise. Worse if the wind blows, than if it calm. With strong gusts it can rotate a quarter turn in one second before I compensate.
Without wind it rotates with maybe one full lap in 30 seconds.
I have been trying atti mode without GPS to exclude that part. Iíve tried without the GPS connected at all, still the same results.
Is it IMU'n which is mounted crooked? Or has it failed. Or is it an engine that "pulls" less than the others, and cause the rotation?
Do anyone have an answer, it is very welcome.
Make sure that your motors are level.
fajar is offline Find More Posts by fajar
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2012, 03:27 AM
MattiasB
Sweden
Joined Feb 2011
8 Posts
Thanks, good idea. They are mounted 5 degrees counter each other, and there are tracks that SHOULD make them perfect in place. But something might be wrong there.
MattiasB is offline Find More Posts by MattiasB
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2012, 03:39 AM
Artic jetflyer
sap_2000's Avatar
Stabekk, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
277 Posts
Some thoughts.
Make sure you have the x,y and z values correct.
Calibrate the compass and make sure it is not interfered and points forward.
Since you are in Sweden, the magnetic declination is close to zero, so you should not have to rotate your antenna to compensate for magnetic north.

Anyway, check the declination in your area here:
http://magnetic-declination.com/
sap_2000 is offline Find More Posts by sap_2000
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2012, 03:49 AM
MattiasB
Sweden
Joined Feb 2011
8 Posts
It cannot be the compass I think. I've disconneced the GPS/Compass unit to eliminated that unit. In atti mode I think it still would not rotate. The IMU/gyro should keep it from rotating. In my old helis, the tail gyro prevent any rotation when hovering, regardless of wind conditions. So my though is that the IMU should do the same.
MattiasB is offline Find More Posts by MattiasB
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:18 AM
Registered User
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2011
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiasB View Post
It cannot be the compass I think. I've disconneced the GPS/Compass unit to eliminated that unit. In atti mode I think it still would not rotate. The IMU/gyro should keep it from rotating. In my old helis, the tail gyro prevent any rotation when hovering, regardless of wind conditions. So my though is that the IMU should do the same.
Have you tried to increase your yaw gain, i had the same problem with my AD8 HL

increase yaw gain and its now rock steady
soundmind is online now Find More Posts by soundmind
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:41 AM
MattiasB
Sweden
Joined Feb 2011
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmind View Post
Have you tried to increase your yaw gain, i had the same problem with my AD8 HL

increase yaw gain and its now rock steady
That was a good idea as well. Didn't think of that... Of course that is a good thing to test.
MattiasB is offline Find More Posts by MattiasB
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:35 PM
Registered User
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2011
79 Posts
did you manage to get the spinning sorted out
soundmind is online now Find More Posts by soundmind
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:58 PM
MattiasB
Sweden
Joined Feb 2011
8 Posts
Thank you all! Now it behaves. I've tried in windy conditions and it stays focused at the same direction. I did multiple adjustmest according to your suggestions, and now it works.
MattiasB is offline Find More Posts by MattiasB
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Gaui 500x keeps rotating/spinning in a circle MikeyFPV Multirotor Talk 5 Jun 30, 2012 07:09 AM
Question ClearView - Spins and Flat Spins? Rifraf Simulators 2 Jun 28, 2012 02:51 PM
Hornet tail keeps spinning around boxed Micro Helis 5 Mar 18, 2003 02:44 AM
Autos with Logo 20---Keeps spinning around Eco8gator Electric Heli Talk 3 Sep 30, 2002 12:40 PM
Zagi prop spinner cone(?) keeps spinning loose? Suggestions? Josh C Foamies (Kits) 6 Jul 25, 2001 09:07 PM