HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2013, 12:19 AM
fly foam fast
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,440 Posts
Warning! Don't try to fly a heavy BeEvo with a CG aft of 8.5"
After a few trim flights I got the BeEvo to fly comfortably but not great. I ended up adding 1.5oz of additional nose weight.
The winds were light so I will need a little more wind for final trimming.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a 40oz Bee II for DS
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2013, 09:23 PM
fly foam fast
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,440 Posts
Pre-flight glamour pic.
It's a bit dented after a few attempts at flying with an aft CG and an upside down landing down the back. CG ended up between 8-1/4" and 8-3/16". Not sure why it is fwd of the usual location. Upside down performance is good but pitch response seems mushy compared to the Bee. I'm going to work on it.
Speeds were in the 120-140 (max) range in the light conditions. Never really got on step.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2013, 01:06 AM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,303 Posts
Nice job Stu! Looks like it could go fasert! What are the winglets made of? Corroplast?

I started my build today. I have x2 2mm x 10mm carbon flat stock glued vertically for each wing and a 10mmOD x 8mmID tube as the main center spar. I also have the basswood glued too.

I also tried a new technique today. Since thinned GOOP works so well on EPP because it's absorbent, I tried to see if laminating resin would have the same effect. Once the spars were in and sanded, I mixed enough resin to pour on the core, and using a squeegee, spread the resin on the entire wing. I used the squeegee to also work in the resin into the foam. I then dabbed the excess resin off and hung the wing to dry. The results are impressive!! It had hardened the beads of EPP and made the whole wing stiffer as a whole (GOOP alone doesnt do this) and even made the leading edge much more durable. Even so, it still has a slight spongy quality (you can squeeze it, it just takes more force to do it) and it still easily qualifies in the foam category.
Mr. Combat Certain is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Sep 09, 2013, 12:58 PM
fly foam fast
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,440 Posts
Thanks. I'm interested in seeing how your wing holds up. I've never considered epoxy to be flexible enough or have much strength on it's own. Many people have tried different coatings but Goop still seems the most popular. I'm not sure I follow your spar arrangement, maybe you can post a pic.
Winglets are 2mm coro because they hold up to abuse and work even when damaged.

I don't really want these to go faster, as a matter of fact, I've been mulling over some changes to go a little bit lighter yet still be exciting.
Probably in the 35oz range. The only changes would be: 2 layers of tape, servos in std position. Single ribbon spar instead of the 2 FG spars. Hopefully no noseweight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:16 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,303 Posts
I didn't mean to kill the thread, so here's a bump with the progress on my heavy Mamba build inspired by Stu. It weighs 54oz right now and took a pound of noseweight ! Using bagged elevons and a bagged fin add up to a lot of tailweight but hey are extremely stiff for the weight. I used my epoxy technique (epoxy resin brushed on the wing itself and let harden) and it's pretty rigid. 1 layer of tape and 1 layer of 5mil DI & CP new stuff. Just waiting for the Ultracote. Hoping for 60-65oz AUW.
Mr. Combat Certain is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Last edited by Mr. Combat Certain; Sep 30, 2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2013, 12:40 AM
fly foam fast
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,440 Posts
Cool. I hope that fin is more secure than it looks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2013, 03:04 PM
USA, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
1,065 Posts
This thread was the inspiration for my (currently) 72oz 60" DanWing (which needed 20oz of lead in the nose):

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2001142

I'm doing a bagged center fin and elevons just like Mr. Combat's Mamba though.
macinr is online now Find More Posts by macinr
Old Oct 12, 2013, 10:29 PM
fly foam fast
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,440 Posts
Came down to Weldon for a few days. The forecast was weak but I ended up flying in 15-30ish all three days in perfect 70 degree temps. Spent a lot of time dialing in the BeEvo and now it has 1oz on the TE between the elevons. Crazy. Seems really neutral now. I will take lead out of the nose when I get home and hopefully get it right this time. In light winds I got a 144 and on my rebel I got a 145. Not bad for the conditions.
RCG Plus Member