HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2011, 03:44 PM
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
Help!
Harbor Freight Wild Hawk LIPO upgrade?

Hi all, Great forum. Not sure if I'm in the right forum so Mods feel free to put me where I belong.
Just bought the Wild Hawk for 63USD at HF. The NiMH batteries must go. I want to run Lipo being I just also bought a New 2.4Ghz 4 Channel Dynam Hawk Sky Electric Brushless Powered Glider that uses Lipo. I do not want to change the motor or ESC on the Wild Hawk but want the same runtime or better with a Li-Po if possible.
Looking into a Thunder AC6 Smart Li-Po Balance Charger that will also do the controller NiMH batteries.
Can this be done?

Thanks
Artie the n00b
flashbang is offline Find More Posts by flashbang
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2011, 03:53 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbang View Post
Hi all, Great forum. Not sure if I'm in the right forum so Mods feel free to put me where I belong.
Just bought the Wild Hawk for 63USD at HF. The NiMH batteries must go. I want to run Lipo being I just also bought a New 2.4Ghz 4 Channel Dynam Hawk Sky Electric Brushless Powered Glider that uses Lipo. I do not want to change the motor or ESC on the Wild Hawk but want the same runtime or better with a Li-Po if possible.
Looking into a Thunder AC6 Smart Li-Po Balance Charger that will also do the controller NiMH batteries.
Can this be done?

Thanks
Artie the n00b
I couldn't find what the voltage of the nimh was in the Hawk. Just match up the closest voltage to the Lipo and use one that is close to weight.

The only thing you need to know- the hawks ESC is meant for nimh so it does not have LVC. If you use a Lipo, you must time it so you don't go below 3v per cell.

and welcome to RCG
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2011, 04:47 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,050 Posts
You may want to read this: Wild Hawk - Tell me about it

7-cell NiMh > 8.4v. That translates to a 2S lipo.

Your Dynam has a 3S lipo (30% more voltage). I suspect the WH ESC would last for seconds with 3S but I have no personal experience. The plane is not known for quality electronics.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Dec 02, 2011, 05:08 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,575 Posts
Get a new esc, and a new motor too. Stock is way underpowered. You may want to extend the elevator and rudder surfaces too. Most of us have. With a 3s 2200 and a good little outrunner, it is fun to fly.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Dec 02, 2011, 05:45 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,146 Posts
My stock Hawk flew nice with a 2S 7.4v 1300mah lipo.
The batt was lighter and with it placed all the way forward I still had to add lead to ballance the CG.

It should balance close with a 2200mah and no weight.

I have since upgraded to brushless but still use the same batt.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Last edited by bartricky; Dec 02, 2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2011, 05:50 PM
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I really did not want to upgrade all the components in the WH but it seems to be the most inevitable way to go. Is there a cheap plug and play kit, so to speak way to do this. I am new to this so I'm pretty ignorant of what must be done. The motor seems like it is the most invasive in ways of fit. What would all the components need to be to get the WH running on Lipo with more run time and more power than stock?
flashbang is offline Find More Posts by flashbang
Old Dec 02, 2011, 06:04 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,146 Posts
Try it with just a 2s lipo...
This is mine with the stock motor, is was windy so it looks slow. (Jr. Hawk is the same as the Wild Hawk)

WINDY day camera test (4 min 6 sec)

Stock motor and 2S batt. at the Homestead NASCAR track.

Osprey Hawk.wmv (5 min 10 sec)
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Last edited by bartricky; Dec 02, 2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2011, 06:05 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,575 Posts
With the 3s 2200, the CG is right on, and I swear I can run pretty much wide open for at least 15 minutes. I bought everything at Hobby King. I think my esc is a 20 amp, and I do not know what size the motor is. Get on youtube, type in "wildhawk modifications" and see what batts and motors those guys are flying, and watch the videos to see if you like what you see. That's what I did.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy