Find More Posts by dwatson
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
DW
I think you got a super deal on that boat! The small amount of damage we can see is easily corrected. I'd love to see a Yamaha painted in more current colors and design. The paint on mine is still in good shape so I haven't given painting much serious consideration. I have thought of a number of combinations the might look pretty good.
Be easier to do on the new in the box boat not having all the details glued on the deck. I see you have a few broken coffee grinder handles - very easy to fix those. All the issues are well within your wheel house of skills to handle. Just have to get back to the U.S.

Great find!
Boomer
Boomer,

I agree! I think it was a great find and I am glad I could work it out.

I have thought about painting it something like one of the race teams doing the round the world. I will have lots of time to consider though.

One question I have, are the sails the same size as a Seawind and is the mast and booms the same size?

I have spare parts from Seawind I can use I plan to make it as real as possible like the photos earlier in the thread.

Your are right, now I have two of them, I need to find my way back to the U. S. so I can start playing. I have a minimum of 2 more years in Singapore and 3 more years in another country. I will have to be patient and play with the toys I brought with me.

Take care of yourself and keep in touch.

DW
dwatson is offline Find More Posts by dwatson
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2015, 09:56 PM
Find More Posts by Boomer1
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,799 Posts
Seawind mast vs. Yamaha

DW
I will measure them and let you know. I have the Yamaha here in my office, but the Seawind is in the garage/shop in a box. I can get back to you Monday. I know your time overseas is a great adventure and the boat will be there. In the mean time you can gather the items you'll need and plan for when you return.
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:34 AM
Find More Posts by chumphon
Joined Feb 2013
88 Posts
Dr Watson I presume

I did my first overland truck 26 year as ago from UK to Pakistan via Afghanistan and Iran, dumped that and got moved on now I manage to get home once a year for 2 weeks if I am lucky although its enough for me. But I do admire your planning.

PS its been a great ride and I would never ever change my life!
chumphon is online now Find More Posts by chumphon
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:18 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,799 Posts
DW
The Yamaha mast measures 55 1/8" long and the Seawind comes in at 56 3/4"
Their diameters are very close. Diameter measurements: The Yamaha's extrusion has a slightly thicker wall than the Seawind extrusion.
Yamaha measures: 11.82mm x 7.88mm
Seawind measures: 12.08mm x 7.55mm

The track opening in the mast for the sail to slide in measures:
Yamaha 1.95mm
Seawind 1.75mm

Conclusion: The Seawind mast can be used as a substitute for the original Yamaha. Because of the diameter of the line/rope that slides in the track it may require some patients if you are using factory sails. And you'll have to correct the length. The pre-drilled holes won't match us for the spreaders and other mast fittings, but careful drilling should be able to work that out.

There are a number of on line companies selling masts you could research if that became necessary.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 13, 2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 03:50 PM
Find More Posts by dwatson
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumphon View Post
Dr Watson I presume

I did my first overland truck 26 year as ago from UK to Pakistan via Afghanistan and Iran, dumped that and got moved on now I manage to get home once a year for 2 weeks if I am lucky although its enough for me. But I do admire your planning.

PS its been a great ride and I would never ever change my life!
Chumphon,

Thanks for the quick note.

I really enjoy the lifestyle and all it has to offer. Been a fun three years here and looking forward to my final two before hopefully moving on.

I have a wife and two kids and it's fun to watch them see the history versus just reading about it.

Lots more of this world to see and places to visit.

Keep in touch.
DW
dwatson is offline Find More Posts by dwatson
Old Apr 20, 2015, 02:19 PM
Find More Posts by harryw
Joined Jun 2013
11 Posts
ahoy sailors.

it is been awhile since my last post.sorry.
i can not believe my luck,i have found a brandnew tamiya rtw.
after mailing the seller he confirmed that it is a new one.
but thats not all,he also has a new innovator yes the 56205.
dont get your lines in a knot yet.
i must see them first to believe it. fingers crossed etc.
pinched myself a few times,could be the last new ones.
to be continued.

ps.what to do with them keep em in the box/sail them ,no must keep em new.
sell with profit? and regret it?
harryw is offline Find More Posts by harryw
Old Apr 20, 2015, 05:29 PM
Find More Posts by dobydog6507
Joined Oct 2011
788 Posts
Selling them for a profit depends on how much you bought them for...
dobydog6507 is online now Find More Posts by dobydog6507
Old Apr 20, 2015, 06:34 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryw View Post
ahoy sailors.
it is been awhile since my last post.sorry.
i can not believe my luck,i have found a brandnew tamiya rtw.
after mailing the seller he confirmed that it is a new one.
but thats not all,he also has a new innovator yes the 56205.
dont get your lines in a knot yet.
i must see them first to believe it. fingers crossed etc.
pinched myself a few times,could be the last new ones.
to be continued.
ps.what to do with them keep em in the box/sail them ,no must keep em new. sell with profit? and regret it?
Harry
Congratulations on your good fortune! I can't remember seeing an Innovator for sale here in the U.S. since being involved in RC sailing. I have to believe that it is due to very few being sold here. I have seen a few listed on line in the UK and Europe, and Asia back around '07 or '08. But not since then.

The shipping costs from your location "down under" to the States would be prohibitive to say the least.

Think I'll start a thread on the Innovator to see what might evolve. I know you already have a Yamaha which might make the decision to sell less stressful. I'd have to put the Innovator together to find out how it sailed!

Not sure what interest the Innovator might bring I'd like one to complete my set. But can't see breaking the bank to get one.

Take some pictures when you get it to add to the new thread.

Thanks
Boomer
Old Apr 21, 2015, 09:57 AM
Find More Posts by harryw
Joined Jun 2013
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobydog6507 View Post
Selling them for a profit depends on how much you bought them for...

hi

well the prices are the same,i mean normal prices of the 90's
have not seen them,nor spoke the seller.
harryw is offline Find More Posts by harryw
Old Apr 23, 2015, 04:36 PM
Find More Posts by tuppesw
wolfgang
Germany, NRW, Aachen
Joined Jan 2013
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Hey Guys
I just received some new Yamaha images from my friend Wolfgang in Germany. He knows I am nuts about these boats and thought I'd enjoy these pictures. Some really nice work on detail done on these boats.
The pictures are from the "Scale sail in Cologne", Fuehlingen in October 2009.
Hope you enjoy these beauties.
Boomer

Just an update from the scale sail last weekend.
I 've met the guy again!

Yamaha RTW (1 min 31 sec)

And another one:

tuppesw is offline Find More Posts by tuppesw
Old Apr 23, 2015, 05:00 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,799 Posts
tuppesw
Thanks for sharing. I would enjoy participating in that event! Just a bit too far to go I am afraid.
Looks like the extra weight from all the scale details on the Yamaha yields a very smooth almost "gliding" like movement across the water.
I enjoyed hearing the skippers speaking in German. My Grandfather was from Germany and it reminded me of him! .
In one of the pictures it appears there is one missing crank handle on the forward coffee grinder. If you are in contact with the boat's skipper you might share with him the easy way to repair/replace that handle using the tooth pictures shown in post # 615.
This fellow probably needs little or no help by the looks of his attention to detail on his boat. You never know......................
Thanks again.
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 23, 2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:47 PM
Find More Posts by Jim Walsh
Joined Mar 2015
4 Posts
Keel repair done but it looks like the servos and RC are dead.

What is everyone's recommendation for sail and rudder servos and suitable RC system.
Jim Walsh is offline Find More Posts by Jim Walsh
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:16 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,799 Posts
Jim
If you go back to post number #4 you will see information there that gives you the specs on the originally specified sail servo and for a possible replacement.

Keep in mind the servo arm that comes with the boat is made to fit a Futaba spline (output shaft) and if you use another brand servo in most cases, you have to adapt to the other brand's spline. Crash's shows or explains how he accomplished this in posts following number 4.

Tamiya put a Futaba S 3801 servo in these boats - they worked perfectly - sadly they don't make them any more. Using the specs for this servo as your guide, you can find a number of servos that will work just as well. Keeping in mind the spline issue.

Spline - This is the output shaft of the servo. It is what you attach the servo horns or arms to. Standard Hitec splines are 24 tooth with standard Futaba splines 25 tooth. Doesn't seem like one little tooth more or less would matter, but it does.

The rudder's servo arm/horn is also made to fit a Futaba servo spline as well. So I suggest considering a Futaba S3001 for the rudder. Your rudder fitting will fit the spline on this servo to avoid having to adapt.

Servo Database:
Here is link to a good resource for you to use to find servos that are up to the task.
http://www.servodatabase.com/servos/futaba?page=3

Here is a good place to buy servos: https://www.servocity.com/html/servos___accessories.html

You can buy a servo that mimics the S 3801 from Kyosho. They specified the Futaba S 3801 for their Seawinds as well. Their new Seawind comes with a KS 501SW sail servo - from all I can find it is a clone of the S 3801. Sells for $68.99
Here's a link to that site:
https://kyoshoamerica.3dcartstores.c...o_p_23176.html

Hitech makes some good servos worth considering. HS-755HB, HS-755MG, HS-765HB -
Here's a link to read about these options: https://www.servocity.com/html/hitec_servos.html

Here are the specs for the S 3801 to use to find the right replacement sail servo
Futaba S3801 Analog:
Weight: 3.77 oz.
Size: 2.321.141.97 in
Torque output: 4.8V:156.0 oz.-in (11.2 kg-cm) 6.0V: 194.0 oz.-in (14.0 kg-cm
Speed: 4.8V:0.30 sec/60 6.0V:0.26 sec/60

Good reading to learn about selecting servos:
https://www.servocity.com/html/what_...l#.VUI-9CFViko

Hope this helps
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 30, 2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 07:04 PM
Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
548 Posts
Just looked at ebay ad saw a Futaba 3801 servo for $48.
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old Apr 30, 2015, 09:20 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,799 Posts
S3801 Futaba Hi-torque sail servo

These come around once in a while. Not a bad price considering they originally sold for about $67-$68 dollars back when they were in production.

Spotted that ad a earlier in the day, had to pick it up for my shop inventory. Should have enough to complete all my projects and have a spare. Living the good life!

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 30, 2015 at 11:06 PM.