New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2015, 04:43 PM
Find More Posts by d12bn
louisiana
Joined Dec 2001
413 Posts
Discussion
Micro digital pitch gauge

Here is a micro pitch gauge I found for my small helicopters from my Nano to my 360 CFX
[youtube]Gfrs5Ncx7EY[/youtube]
d12bn is offline Find More Posts by d12bn
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2015, 01:31 AM
Find More Posts by i812
Joined Aug 2009
5,295 Posts
While we're on the subject of Pitch Gauges ....

A year or so ago while I also was searching for Digital Pitch Gauges suitable for micro heli's, I "accidentally" learned that besides measuring Blade pitch, by measuring Blade pitch at different positions as the Main Shaft is rotated within the Swashplate, Pitch Gauges can also be used to level Swashplates, and adjust the heli's Center of Gravity.

If interested on how a Pitch Gauge can be used to measure Swashplate levelness and various collective and cyclic Blade pitch measurements, here's the 2nd part of a 2 part video showing how to perform them:

02 : Soko Kit : 500 CCPM Setup : Swash Leveling and Blade Pitch Adjustments (22 min 58 sec)

Section 6.6 of the Soko Digital Pitch Gauge Manual has written instructions describing how a Pitch Gauge can be used to adjust the Heli's CoG.

NOTES:
  1. The above video describes how to use a specific Digital Pitch Gauge that is probably too large/heavy for many of the micro helis, and involves using one of their patented "tools"; however, I believe once a person understands the basics of how they are using their Digital Pitch Gauge to level the Swashplate and CoG, with a little creativity a clever person could probably improvise any Pitch Gauge to perform the same type of measurements.

2. I didn't start off providing a link to the Part 1 video because Parts 1 and 2 are about 20 minutes each, and part 1 only describes how to physically set-up the heli "landing pad" so that the Heli's Main Shaft is positioned vertically plumb with the Earth's center of gravity prior to making the various Pitch angle measurements; whereas the second part actually shows/describes how to perform all various Pitch angle measurements. If a person actually wanted to use a Pitch Gauge to level a Swashplate, adjust Blade pitch, and adjust the Heli's CoG, then they'd first want to setup the heli's "landing platform" as shown in the Part 1 video. All together both videos last about 40 minutes; however, about more than half of the video's time is background info explaining why he performs each step of his procedure. Also, if you do end using the Soko Digital Pitch Guage, you won't even need to perform the heli "landing pad" adjustment shown in the first Part 1 video if you use Soko's optional "Application" software in conjunction with their Digital Pitch Gauge.

3. The http://www.soko-heli-tools.com/ website has their own "official" ~ 5 minute video and written instructions that pretty much show/describe some of the procedures described in the above video(s); however the above "non-official" user video actually not only show and describes how to level a Swashplate at mid-stick zero degree Blade pitch, but also describes how to level a Swashplate throughout the entire Collective pitch travel limits from max negative collective to max positive collective Blade pitch.
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Apr 23, 2015 at 11:51 AM. Reason: provide more more info
Old Apr 22, 2015, 08:19 AM
Find More Posts by d12bn
louisiana
Joined Dec 2001
413 Posts
I really want to get the Soko tool for my bigger helicopters. Great tool
d12bn is offline Find More Posts by d12bn
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:53 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
11,432 Posts
Friend has a good digital pitch gauge. Made adjusting pitch very easy. I have 4f200 LM Walkera Scale heli. It flew but poorly at first. Pitch was onlt 7.6* and now 13*. Plus we dialed down tail gain from 75% to 60%. Made heli operate much better.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:31 PM
Find More Posts by i812
Joined Aug 2009
5,295 Posts
BTW, I significantly edited my above post in attempt to provide more info about all the various measurements that can be performed with a Pitch Gauge. If you read my original post and didn't fully understand its original 5 minute video, or want to learn a few more procedures that can be performed with a Pitch Gauge, then you may want to re-read that post.

Also below is a post about various micro Pitch Gauges that I found about a year ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post

Navigator2011's Blog has a nice write-up on how to make and use the DIY Pitch Gauge. Navigator2011's Blog has many other heli related informative posts.

... For those that are interested in small lightweight Digital Pitch Gauges, here are some links I've bookmarked:

SkyRc Micro Digital Pitch Gauge

TL90 Digital Pitch Gauge

RC Logger Digital Pitch Gauge 2

* Also I think someone also posted (last year) in this thread that Align sells a Digital Pitch Gauge that can be used on these small heli's.
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Apr 22, 2015 at 01:23 PM. Reason: grammar